Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 06-24-2005, 04:46 PM
KCROGUEDOG

the sawzall is what i was thinking of. did u use a vise and how hard was the cut? wheel grinder? also on painting do u think cleaning and painting over the paint would stick? or do i got to sand down? i dont want to leave car in shop for to long. 1 day pulling off all and cutting. night of painting. 1 day of putting togther and installing back to car. im shooting for 2 days. sound logical. do i need to buy new camber bolts for front and rear?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:41 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

The metal is pretty thick- sawzall doesn't make the curve too well. I just chopped a series of straights as close as I could, then ground the rest of the way with a 4" right angle grinder.

Cleaning and painting should work fine. Maybe a little light sanding to break the sheen on the original paint.

If you are handy, your 2 day schedule should work fine.

Unless the camber bolts are worn, I don't think you need to replace them routinely.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-24-2005, 06:23 PM
KCROGUEDOG

yeah straight cut seemed the way to go. sounds simple. is there a way to tell if the cambers are worn without removal? i just want all my parts ready to go. i got 50 days and im out 5thou of alaska. i still got to order install the koni gcs and get new tires (mich hydros) and prep and paint a nice red black two tone ride. and do the brake pads.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:51 PM

Maybe someone who knows more than me can address that. Honestly, it's not a moving part- I don't see how there would be wear. If there was, the car would drive horribly- you'd probably know by now. If you pull them and they appear worn, put them on anyway then go back and replace them. Just do it before you get an alignment. It's a 5 minute job.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 PM
KCROGUEDOG

cool good deal u have been alot of help. if i need more do you mind if i pm you. thanks.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:32 AM

No Problem- Good Luck!!

Keep us posted on how you like your Konis!!

Old 06-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I figure after you have the struts out it would take about 3 hours to do the conversion.

We just used a hacksaw to cut off the old perches. Just make sure to weld the new perches in the same place on all the struts.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:47 PM

We didn't cut the perches off entirely. The link he posted earlier to my struts describes. The new springs actually sit on the remains of the old perches.

Accurate, and protects the strut chamber from distortion or warpage during the welding.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
KCROGUEDOG

a safer wiser better idea.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
Dynamite is probably overkill.

Did one with a plasma cutter- overkill. Did the second with a sawzall and grinder. Worked fine.
same. cut, welded the ring on, sanded (slight rust), and painted my strut housing. i wanna be just like Todd/wawazat! <--saw his beautiful setup.

the only bad thing with cutting your perches off is that if you want to try another setup in the future, it isn't possible unless you buy another set of struts....like Mychalio's springs and koni's.