Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-05-2005, 07:23 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

You guys might wanna tone it down a little bit before yet another thread gets locked. Although this thread was doomed from the very begining. But seriously lets tone it down shall we?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
People like drag racing because it's fun, Its universal (in the US at least) and at least in street cars, its MORE about the car than the driver. Anybody who owns a car, can drive a 1/4 mile, and get a time. Then they can practice to get a better time.
It is fun to be able to work towards a better time. You can add parts, preform work, and have a consistant unit of measure to see how their car is improving, and how their driving is improving. If I work on a car for a year and a half, and someone asks me, 'how fast is it' I could say, well, I ran an 11.4 second quarter mile at blah track, at blah temp.. etc Instant understanding of how fast the car is. you really don't have this with any other type of racing that is open to the public.

sure, saying my car ran an 8 minute nurburgring lap would be amazing... however the costs involved in that would be rediculous, and the standards are not known to people. plus in a road race such as that, the emphasis is blurred much more between driver skill, and car ability.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Ok, here's a few reasons:

- people like to feel teh power
- people are competative

Why people watch:

- to see teh power
- the smoke
- the smell
- the fumes
- to see their favorites
Old 05-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
I am trying to figure out why people like drag racing. Your comment about the accomplishment was what I was looking for. Your comments about people complaning and pussys and whatever was not what I was looking for. I'm not trying to personally attack you or anything, and you can continue to try to argue about people complaining and pussys and all that, but I'm not going to respond anymore, and I'd appreciate it if you would not either. If you'd like a thread like that I can surely make one, or you could aswell. I'm sure you think I'm some stereotypical "2nr boi" who thinks v8's are big and stupid and a vtec honda is golden, or straight line racing is boring and stupid, and autocrossing is super mad crazy fun. But if that is what you're thinking, and it sounds like that to me, you are greatly mistaken. I think I need to say this again. I am trying to understand why people like drag racing. It's no different than trying to understand why some people like to read books, or watch movies, or go bike riding, or play soccer, or go fishing. I'm not trying to compare and contrast two things, nor am I trying to say one is better than the other. I hope you can understand what I am saying as in retrospec I can see how it could be miscontrued.
Ok.

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
People like drag racing because it's fun, Its universal (in the US at least) and at least in street cars, its MORE about the car than the driver. Anybody who owns a car, can drive a 1/4 mile, and get a time. Then they can practice to get a better time.
It is fun to be able to work towards a better time. You can add parts, preform work, and have a consistant unit of measure to see how their car is improving, and how their driving is improving. If I work on a car for a year and a half, and someone asks me, 'how fast is it' I could say, well, I ran an 11.4 second quarter mile at blah track, at blah temp.. etc Instant understanding of how fast the car is. you really don't have this with any other type of racing that is open to the public.

sure, saying my car ran an 8 minute nurburgring lap would be amazing... however the costs involved in that would be rediculous, and the standards are not known to people. plus in a road race such as that, the emphasis is blurred much more between driver skill, and car ability.
One of the better explanations i've heard thus far.

I still think that the best way to understand drag racing is to get a ride in fast car. Just like to understand how fun it is to drive a hot lap on a good circuit, you have to drive it. You get a whole new appreciation for things that may have seen silly before.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
THAWA

Well I've been in some fast cars, and yes you do have to drive one to know what the difference is. But I just didn't undestand the mentality before. Now though I think I'm getting what all the hype is about.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
Well I've been in some fast cars, and yes you do have to drive one to know what the difference is. But I just didn't undestand the mentality before. Now though I think I'm getting what all the hype is about.
Yeah but i'm telling you, at least go to a strip on a good night and spectate. That's my philosiphy for just about anything. If you don't understand it, give it a try. Honestly, i've done both and I prefer drag racing. The funny thing about it is that i'm much better at turning than launching. Maybe that's why i like it, i always like a challenge.

Last edited by Shadow248; 05-05-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: