How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-01-2004, 03:52 PM
ehyde111

Question climate control & clock not working

Two days ago, all of the climate control buttons, the clock, and the rear intermittant wiper setting stopped working. All other electrical components work fine. I have checked the fuses, but none are blown. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not know my way around the electrical system and really don't know how all of these are related.

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How did you check the fuses? Sometimes a visual inspection is not enough.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:08 PM

anybody been messing around with other electronic components? The time control module interfaces with all three things you mention, but I've not heard of one failing.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
How is your cigarette lighter. drivemusicnow had a similar problem with the things you mentioned, and it turned out that the cig lighter was shorting everything out.

Check all fuses, if that doesn't find the problem, check out the lighter.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-01-2004, 08:07 PM
ehyde111

Earthworm- It was a visual inspection of the fuses. I don't know how to check them otherwise. Except for replacing them one by one with a new fuse.

lee- no other messing around going on with the electronics.

SVXer95- I think you may be on to something. My lighter appears really messed up. I used to keep my cell phone charger plugged in all of the time and that was beginning to act up. When I checked my lighter tonight, it was really loose and the lighter would not heat up. I can see that there are metal sleeves just banging around down there where the lighter goes. I guess tomorrow I will be taking things apart to see what's what. Do you know, is it just a matter of reattaching wires to the lighter?

Thanks again. You probably jsut saved me a couple of hundred bucks at the dealership.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:34 PM

a somewhat frequent problem with the lighter is that Subaru decided to put a fused link on the bottom of the lighter. I got around that by putting in a short length of wire....maybe not the safest fix so be forewarned.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:26 AM
ehyde111

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
a somewhat frequent problem with the lighter is that Subaru decided to put a fused link on the bottom of the lighter. I got around that by putting in a short length of wire....maybe not the safest fix so be forewarned.
The fused link, does it look like an "L", about 1/4 inch long overall, made out of something that resembles lead? Mine appears intact.

I took the lighter out today and everything appears intact. The lights for the lighter will light up, but the lighter socket itself will not work. And my original problem is still there.

Additionally, I bought new fuses and replaced mine one by one without any change. If this is the fused link, I will take it out and replace with a wire.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2004, 08:19 AM
imjeremy77

check your visors

I had the same exact thing happen. Not sure if its the same in your case but it turned out that the wires in my sun visors were shorting. The fuse is located inside the drivers kick panel (not in the engine compartment) I unscrewed my visors, unplugged the electric wires, replaced the fuse, and things started working again.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:10 AM
ehyde111

Thumbs up Re: check your visors

Quote:
Originally posted by imjeremy77
I had the same exact thing happen. Not sure if its the same in your case but it turned out that the wires in my sun visors were shorting. The fuse is located inside the drivers kick panel (not in the engine compartment) I unscrewed my visors, unplugged the electric wires, replaced the fuse, and things started working again.
That was it! A blown 20A fuse. Thanks a lot!