How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-25-2004, 04:38 PM
henryb

Five warning lights ON?

There are 5 warning lights on the dash warning light bar that normally come on when you start the car, but they do not go out?

There are other warning lights on that bar that come on, but they go out as they are supposed to?

The ones that stay on are: Steering, Battery, Stop Lamp, Brake, and ABS. I have checked each of those systems and they appear to be working correctly.

I am thinking that there is some relay that is used to turn those lights on at start up and after a certain amount of time, it normally shuts them off... but if that relay has failed, they would stay on?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Old 09-25-2004, 04:48 PM
SVX Appeal

The alternator belt has failed.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Alternator

Hi Brent, It could be the alternator itself has failed. If you still have power steering its the alternator, not the belt. Take care, BOBB
Old 09-25-2004, 07:05 PM
henryb

5 warning lights = alternator

Thanks for the info. I checked the alternator belt, which I just changed about 2 months ago... and it is still good and tight. So it must be the alternator itself. Is there an easy way to test it?

Thanks again,
Old 09-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Alternator

Hi Brent, The Subaru dealer in your town or any of the big chain auto parts guys will check it out for you. The national chain guys will do the check for free. After all they hope you will buy a replacement from them. The national chain guys are open on Sunday but they will probably have to order the replacement for you. Take care, BOBB

P/S The SVX alternators often check out OK. However all those dash lights have told the story. Get a new or rebuilt alternator and you lights will stay dark. "B"

Last edited by Bobb; 09-25-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:38 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I think autozone would be able to check it out for you too. But yeah definitley sounds like your alternator is on its way out.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-26-2004, 06:30 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
FWIW - autozone tested one of mine that was doing the same thing and said it was fine. I swapped alternators between cars and determined it was definitely bad.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:42 AM
henryb

Anybody have an extra Altenator?

I have been searching around for a replacement Altenator, but they seem to be very hard to come by in Canada? The best price I could find was at SubaruParts.com... they have them on-sale for $190US + $38 shipping + duties. I can just image what the dealer wants for one... will inquire on Monday.

I was wondering if anyone had an extra Altenator that they would be willing to sell me? Let me know.

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Notall There

Just a quick check that you can do brent, with a test meter, check the battery voltage with the engine running! it should be around 14volts DC, if the alternator isn't charging it'll read about 12 volts DC (the battery only voltage!)

Phil (auto-electrician),
92 SVX (94k) Claret.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:34 AM
SVX Appeal

Some of those lights, such as the power steering and ABS lights indicate that it is not just the alternator, but rather that it is not the alternator at all. If I kick my fuse box hard enough, I'll get some of those lights - different ones depending on how hard I kick it.

Don't automatically replace the alternator just because the charging voltage is low. Have it tested on a test bench first.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
FWIW - autozone tested one of mine that was doing the same thing and said it was fine. I swapped alternators between cars and determined it was definitely bad.
I don't trust the tests run on alternators by parts stores. They don't find intermittent problems, so if it happens to work okay for the five seconds they run it on their bench, then it's declared 'all good.'

I don't understand the logic there. It would seem that they'd sell more alternators if the machine just delcared every alternator put on it as 'bad.'

Anyway, yeah, I agree - you need a new alternator.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2004, 12:02 PM
The Croupier

Red neck Altenator test.
1 -Start car
2 -take positive cable off the Battery
Car stays runnen -Alt -good
Car dies -Alt -bad
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 09-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle
Red neck Altenator test.
1 -Start car
2 -take positive cable off the Battery
Car stays runnen -Alt -good
Car dies -Alt -bad
Owner loses fingers from arc and ECU melts from amperage spike- Alt -good
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What about checking for loose connections first?

- battery terminals
- alternator plug
- alternator nut

You could look into getting it rebuilt.

When I try getting parts from local dealerships I will print out the quote from subaruparts.com, convert their numbers to $CDN and try to get them to match the price.

I've had problems with my alternator twice. Both times I had the voltage regulator replaced and both times that fixed the problem.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:23 PM
henryb

Alternator Rebuilt and working again!

Thank you all for your valuable feedback and advice. I did find a place in Oshawa that rebuilds starters and alternators. I had to remove the unit and bring it to them. Then pick it up that same day and reinstall it myself (fairly easy re&re).

They only charged me $180(CDN). They did a complete rebuild, with new bearings, stator, bushings, contacts, posts and a few other items I can't recall!!!

Anyways, it is back up and running well again.
Thanks again.