How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Mizery

Front Suspension replacement

Since I know nothing at all about this topic, you'll have to make it pretty laymans.

I managed to grab some PDF's of the suspension of my SVX off the techinfo.subaru.com website. I put one of them (mainly just a stats table) for viewing here. http://aenslaed.mizery.net/frontsus1.pdf

Now here's the thing. My front left strut is cracked (and its making some pretty unsettling clack clack sounds whenever i hit a bump). Knowing the kind of cost SVX oem parts are, I could/would problably find something better aftermarket for a similar price. Here is where you guys chip in

What is a good replacement for the stock SVX suspension that is similar in price (I'll have to call up subaru on this). I dont want to alter the ride height of the car as it is pretty low as is. Maybe make the car a bit stiffer but not by much.

Any help is appreciated.

edit: I do believe mine is the LS-L model.

edit2: While on the topic of replacement parts, is the Master Cylinder for the brakes known to have problems? My brakes are so spongy :/
Old 09-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Parts

Hi Mizery, For struts you don't have a lot of choice. Struts don't effect the ride height. Thats the springs job. OEM will probably be the best overall if you would like to keep everything pretty stock. You might check KYB and KONI, however KONI are inserts not the whole strut and they are on backorder right now. As for spongy brakes, I would have the brakes bled. Also bled them till clean brake fluid comes out of each wheel cylinder. Take care and happy SVXen, BOBB
Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
As Bobb said, you are stuck with the OEM struts (which really are pretty good). There is no aftermarket strut for the SVX (but Koni does make a high performance damper insert that goes into the OEM strut), and there are no struts from other Subarus that will bolt in place. I don't know of anyone who has looked at compatibility with other brand/models of cars.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Mizery

I was thinking of doing the struts, shocks and springs all at once. The previous owner had beaten on the car quite badly and there are a ton of parts that need replacing.

Keeping with OEM struts, how about springs and shocks?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You can't go wrong with Mychailo's
("mbtoloczko") springs and Koni inserts. Classic Garage should have the Koni inserts in stock in October.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Classic Garage should have the Koni inserts in stock in October.
We hope!

Where is your strut cracked?

Do you have a picture?