How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 05:11 AM

electrical problems

hello to all and thanks for reading this thread. this is only my second posted thread since joining the network, and my knowledge of troubleshooting problems or noises etc... is limited.

i have had a problem with what i think is my ignition switch for quite some time now. i turn the key over maybe half the time and i get nothing. no starter cranking or anything. i just keep working the key and after a short time it starts up. i've never been stranded because of it. now yesterday my stereo while driving just shuts off and comes back on repeatedly. the warning lights also flashed on and off a few times before staying on the whole way home. i started the car up this morning and turned on my lights and they just shut off while idling the car. i have a fairly new battery(6mos) and a new starter(3mos). is this possibly the alternator going out. do i have two different problems. i have about 87,000 miles on this car. i thought of having the subaru tech check for any codes and go from there. anybody know what is happening and a course of action i can take. i have other issues i will go into later. thanks for taking the time.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 AM

the flashing warning lights are a very good indicator of a failing alternator. Go to a local Pep Boys or Autozone and they will check it for free. Unless you have adequate charge in the battery, testing the ignition system is tough.

that said, a loose ignition switch can be a contributing problem. see this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=4777
Old 07-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You can check your error codes yourself at http://svx-iw.com/ (click on CODES)