SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 06:47 PM
arondale

Swapping '92 LS-L and '97 Lsi ECUs

Hello,

I am relatively new to this forum but have owned an SVX for many years.

I first bought a '92 LS-L with 37,000 miles on it. It now has 139,000 and is sitting in my garage. It needs some care. I plan on restoring this car and experimenting witha WRX tranny install. I hope to make the '92 my daily driver again. Not too practical for atlanta traffic, but I'll manage.

The '97 LSi I just bought is mint with just over 19,000 miles on it. This car will never see traffic. It will be my roadtrip car, as I often take twistie turnies on 441 through the Smoky Mountains, just north of Atlanta, GA.

My Question:

Does the ECU control the speed sensetive steering in the '92? Also, is the 92 ECU what makes the '92 faster or are there other factors? What will happen if I swap the two ECUs?

Please share your expertise.

Many thanks,
Arondale
Old 11-14-2003, 06:20 PM
red95svx

My guess is that you cannot swap the computers......without some work. They did change them a little here and there, and it wasn't just the software that got changed. For example, when I needed to know where my speed sensor wire was in my 95, I looked at a 1992 service manual thinking it would be the same. Nope. That wire connects to the computer in completely different spots in 92 and 95. It also had a different color! So, not only would you have to find out what EVERY wire coming out of your 92 SVX computer was for, you'd then have to find the corresponding wire in the 97 SVX body (keeping in mind that you can't just match the colors!). THEN you could cut all the wires in the 92 (keeping the computer, connector, and a few inches of wiring coming from the computer intact), remove the computer from the 97, cut the wiring just below the connector, and splice the 1997 wires to the 1992 connector. But wait, there's more! Keep in mind that alot of sensors send info to the computer based on voltage resistance and change in the resistance. By soldering the wires together you create more resistance in the wire, and therefore false readings for the computer!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 11-14-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:17 PM
arondale

It doesn't sound like a hot idea to me. I'll just leave the ECUs in their respective bodies. I am surprised though that no one as come up with an SVX ecu flash that would create the same results as 92s in later model SVXs.