Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northeast Region

Old 07-18-2001, 09:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Nashua, NH Dealer

I dropped some club cards off at the Nashua dealership to try to drum up club members. They work on a lot of them and always have a few nices on the lot. They are a good bunch of people and they've been very helpful to me.

I don't understand why nobody who goes there isn't on this forum. So hopefully we'll get a few more locals.

Oh, also he told me that he has a '92 that he'd like to part out. I'll post this in the for sale forum also when I can.

- Jeff
Old 07-25-2001, 01:09 PM
cap

Nashua dealer

I've been to the Nashua dealer for most of my services since I bought my car in '98 (blk 92, 82k mi at purchase).

I can't recall them ever mentioning a club, and they've certainly never given me a club business card.
My last service with them was a few days ago, July 20, 2001.

CV Halfshaft had a torn boot.
THey quoted me $400 for the part from Subaru, and told me that my options for cheaper parts were unknown and very sketchy.

I found a rebuilt shaft in stock at Dracut Auto Parts for $70 after I return the old one for a core charge. Had them do the labor, charged me about $130 for a job I could have almost done myself, and I'm sure a skilled mechanic would do in 30minutes.
To their credit though, at least they took my part. I called around and noone would take a part that I supplied, and no shops could tell me an exact quote on a new or rebuilt half shaft.

Today I've discussed with them my options for getting my tranny, which was replaced by the dealer 40k miles ago, fixed.
They want about $3200 to replace it again.
I'm thinking about having a tranny shop fix it, add the separate tranny cooler, and taking Subaru to small claims court.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car.

Buyer beware.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:16 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Nashua dealer

Quote:
Originally posted by cap
I've been to the Nashua dealer for most of my services since I bought my car in '98 (blk 92, 82k mi at purchase).

I can't recall them ever mentioning a club, and they've certainly never given me a club business card.
My last service with them was a few days ago, July 20, 2001.

CV Halfshaft had a torn boot.
THey quoted me $400 for the part from Subaru, and told me that my options for cheaper parts were unknown and very sketchy.

I found a rebuilt shaft in stock at Dracut Auto Parts for $70 after I return the old one for a core charge. Had them do the labor, charged me about $130 for a job I could have almost done myself, and I'm sure a skilled mechanic would do in 30minutes.
To their credit though, at least they took my part. I called around and noone would take a part that I supplied, and no shops could tell me an exact quote on a new or rebuilt half shaft.

Today I've discussed with them my options for getting my tranny, which was replaced by the dealer 40k miles ago, fixed.
They want about $3200 to replace it again.
I'm thinking about having a tranny shop fix it, add the separate tranny cooler, and taking Subaru to small claims court.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car.

Buyer beware.
I had a tranny rebuilder do mine, more out of necessity and time constraints (Wanted to make the Vermont meet ) than anything else (They wanted 4,600.00 at the Suby dealership).

My advice is to take the 3200.00 Suby tranny and add the cooler. That's a decent price, in my opinion. If my dealer had priced mine at that, I'd have jumped on it in a heartbeat. It cost me 2,300.00 for the re-build. I think the 2year 24K warranty would be worth the extra grand, or so. You won't get near the warranty from an independent rebuilder (though, I'm very pleased with the job mine did -- both times -- long story). Just my two coppers.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-25-2001, 01:21 PM

Owch

Well at least I found another SVXr in the state. I guess all dealers have their issues. They've been pretty good to me but then my car hasn't needed much yet.

Great job shopping around. $3.2K for the tranny! Wow! That's obviously TOO much. Well may not after reading Randy's post.... hmmmm? shows what "I" know.

Medford huh? I'm in Leominster, and work in Haverhill. We should hook up sometime.

Great to see ya on the forum! Welcome! Welcome! There's a TON of information here. Enjoy.

- Jeff

Last edited by jscorse; 07-25-2001 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:37 PM
cap

I live in Medford, work in Chelsmford.

I think the hill on Rt 2 up through Arlmont may have had something to do with killing my tranny.
It popped a hose dumping all the tranny fluid going up that hill last year.

I'm very grateful for these websites. Its good to know that my car is not a 'lemon', but all SVX's have problems with warped rotors, wheel bearings and transmissions.

I replaced the LR wheelbearing last year, it was growling very loudly. I found the part for $80, took it to a shop, who told me that the part I supplied was incorrect so he kindly got me the 'correct' part, for $130.

I replaced the front rotors and breakpads all around myself last year. The front rotors are already warped pretty good.

Anyone have problems with the powersteering hoses?
My car popped a powersteering hose twice in the past year.

Tranny UPDATE:
The tranny is being looked at by "Freddy's transmission" in Hudson NH yesterday & today. I informed him about the brake band adjustment and he's attempting to adjust it for me.
THey seem fairly knowledgable about transmissions in general, but they had a hard time identifying the symptoms I had described to them. I had to tell them to warm the car up and drive it up a long hill. I should probably call Nashua Subaru and ask them about the brake band adjustment.

Paul at Freddy's said he'd be willing to add the tranny cooler provided he can find a space to add it.
Since he only provides a 1 year warantee, I'll probably either have the dealer do the tranny rebuild, or Aamco, since they advertise "Lifetime warrantee available". ;-)
Old 07-27-2001, 12:41 PM
cap

PS... I enjoyed reading that the tires I picked last year
(Yoko avs DB)
were voted #1 SVX tire !!
Old 07-27-2001, 01:08 PM

Tranny Hose

I had my tranny hose crack off last year on the way to the Vt. Fall Cruise. Lost a lot fluid I think. I pulled over as soon as I could. The car was lifted to Braddleburo Subaru and repaired.

The hose was cracked right at the 90bend just as it leaves the cooler. I think it was abraded from a previous accident.

So far the tranny seems fine. My fingers are crossed. I have an extended warrenty to 60K miles which is only 5K away.

I'm concidering extending it further but it is SO expensive that I'm not sure...

Hope to see ya sometime.

- Jeff
Old 07-30-2001, 09:48 AM
jmcassin

Nashua NH Dealer

I purchased my 92 from them about four years ago, and they have always been good service wise, to me. I have only had the 120, 000 service done there last year, and shortly after, I had my crank pully break off, they repaired that for me. Price was average for a dealer. Ive had other work done to my car, but I was away at school and now I have sinced moved to New York . I now(attempt) take on the minor technical tasks (ART rotors)myself on the weekends.

I think the dealer used to be called Granite State Subaru, but it was sold.
The previous owner of the Dealership drove an svx, and was the person who really sealed the deal with me. He actually threw me the keys to his personal SVX when I was looking for one. At that time i was 19yrs old....that guy had some guts to do that. But it made the sale!!!

jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: