Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Engine Bearing Failure

I definitely did...
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered fabricator

And Jack 'lost' the engine again a few weeks back. It doesn't appear to like sustained 8000+ rpms. Lost oil pressure in the turns. No overheating at all.

So he has retired the EG33 for good this time.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
And Jack 'lost' the engine again a few weeks back. It doesn't appear to like sustained 8000+ rpms. Lost oil pressure in the turns. No overheating at all.

Bob,

Even with your super custom baffled pan? Think Jack might be parting out the engine?

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

My spun bearing was due to a minute shard of metal that was lodged in the oil bypass leading to low (but not quite low enough to light the oil warning light) oil pressure at high rpm's. Event occurred right before the Bus-Stop chicane at the end of the back straight at Watkins Glen, probably hitting about 6500 rpm.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:

That's a shame

Bob, can we please share build info? Big end and main clearances, bearing type, and brand, oil cooler, acusump? Also tune info and timing and fuel type. Afrs?

Also how many laps in and how many laps did the engine do? Oh and oil brand and weight.

I just wonder if something is being missed or if it's purely oil flow issues coming off the stock pump at that rpm.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Bob,

Even with your super custom baffled pan? Think Jack might be parting out the engine?

Bill
Jack stopped by my shop last week and we had a long talk about it. He wants to tear the engine down to see what was damaged. He said he would part out the heads and cams if they were undamaged. Pretty much anything that wasn't damaged would be sold.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Jack stopped by my shop last week and we had a long talk about it. He wants to tear the engine down to see what was damaged. He said he would part out the heads and cams if they were undamaged. Pretty much anything that wasn't damaged would be sold.
Bob,
Can you drop me a PM once Jack decides how much he's asking for the undamaged parts?
Thanks.
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Bob, can we please share build info? Big end and main clearances, bearing type, and brand, oil cooler, acusump? Also tune info and timing and fuel type. Afrs?
I wish I could tell you more, but the fact is I had nothing to do with the assembly. The machine shop did the assembly. No Accusump as far as I know, but he does have an oil cooler.

As far as the tune, that will perhaps never be known. The dyno operator/ tuner at Jack's place of work tragically died last week in a Jetski vs boat accident.

http://m.nbcconnecticut.com/nbcconne...tguid=mwA2jGvL

Chris was the tuner/ dyno operator at EFI Logics as well as part owner of the shop.

Quote:
Also how many laps in and how many laps did the engine do? Oh and oil brand and weight.
I believe Jack said 7 or 8 laps into the event. He used to run Valvoline 20w-50 racing oil, not sure if that is still the case.

EG33 Impreza tweaks

Last edited by RallyBob; 08-03-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Bob,
Can you drop me a PM once Jack decides how much he's asking for the undamaged parts?
Thanks.
Bill
I can certainly pass along the info once I hear from him.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered fabricator

Jack texted me a few minutes ago, he hopes to tear his EG apart sometime in the middle of next week.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I wish I could tell you more, but the fact is I had nothing to do with the assembly. The machine shop did the assembly. No Accusump as far as I know, but he does have an oil cooler.

As far as the tune, that will perhaps never be known. The dyno operator/ tuner at Jack's place of work tragically died last week in a Jetski vs boat accident.

http://m.nbcconnecticut.com/nbcconne...tguid=mwA2jGvL

Chris was the tuner/ dyno operator at EFI Logics as well as part owner of the shop.

I believe Jack said 7 or 8 laps into the event. He used to run Valvoline 20w-50 racing oil, not sure if that is still the case.
That's terrible news

Obviously with so many variables and unknowns in the engine it's hard to pin point the exact cause of the bearing failure. Tony will be testing the oiling to 8000+ rpm and I'm expecting to see oil starvation to the big ends up there above a certain RPM with the stock pump. Time will tell.

You don't know fuel he was running by chance?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:09 AM

Any update on what happened to he engine?
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Any update on what happened to he engine?
Tony
I haven't spoke to Jack recently, but I saw on Facebook that he had finally removed it from the chassis. No word on teardown yet.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
MINEZ BETTER

I know I haven't been here for a while, but I'm Going to say two things on your bearing losses. To retain oil pressure for the eg33 you need to put a set screw in the inlet oil passages that fill the circuit, in the heads.That set screw need to be at 4mm hole . I had this done by lance when I had heads and cams done , way back in 2002. But we convert to solod bucket amd shims. I did ask him why he did this the man said eg33 has oil problem in he block, and this is how I got my twin turbo sand rail to spin 9000k all day.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon

Last edited by jsvxstyle; 08-20-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: forgot head
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Did you happen to take few pics of the process?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.