SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Sighted

Need Technical help, airbag light and sensor question

92 SVX, 75,000 miles, ready to replace airbag but I have a few questions. Talked to my Subaru dealer about my situation and they gave me the standard "canned" answers, so I am asking the experts.
Car sustained minor damage that set off the airbag, damage was right (passenger) front fender, marks on bumper, slight "bow" in the hood all of which has been taken care of beautifully because the damage was so minor, I have an airbag I put in the vehicle but as yet am not brave enough to plug it back in. Subaru dealer says replace all sensors (2) but thats easy for them to recommend at $390 each plus shipping, everyone in the know agrees that the computer (srs airbag computer) is okay, Subaru says they don't know if I can test the circuit to determine if the sensors are bad so just replace them, I don't have deep pockets, am an excellent mechanic with a strong electrical background ( Master Electrician) and all the tools I could ever need so I know I am more than capable of fixing the problem if given good info so here I am with some specific questions:

1. If I test the airbag wires at the steering column and no voltage is present does that mean the sensors are good and it is safe to plug in the airbag and expect it not to fire in my face? or in another way does voltage set off the airbag or an open circuit set it off?

2. If I pull codes on the car right now will it tell me if I have a bad sensor or two or will it just show an airbag general problem?

3. What if I just eliminate the sensor from the system, would that show up as a trouble code?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide....