Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 10-20-2018, 09:56 PM
MacArthur

Radiator Needed

Anyone know where to find SVX radiator? Repair shop said they're unavailable anywhere. Car was towed home. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:23 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Radiator Needed

There's a guy in BC who chimes in every time somebody is looking for parts. Do a search and you'll find him.
These guys in California are excellent. http://sspparts.com/search/1992/Suba...radi/675/jiiif

They have at least one rad for $125 USD. They have 12 SVXs at present.

I bought a rear sub-frame from them, it was mint.

There are four listed here. http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

Last edited by Blacky; 10-21-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Registered SVX

and if you want a drop in all aluminum (for never breaking again) AMR Engineering, though they are a pain to deal with for most people.

IF you can modify the aluminum find a wrx radiator and cut and weld it to fit
Old 10-21-2018, 11:23 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
and if you want a drop in all aluminum (for never breaking again) AMR Engineering, though they are a pain to deal with for most people.
Not recommended. They are out of stock once again and who knows when/if you would receive it.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:31 PM
MacArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
There's a guy in BC who chimes in every time somebody is looking for parts. Do a search and you'll find him.
These guys in California are excellent. http://sspparts.com/search/1992/Suba...radi/675/jiiif

They have at least one rad for $125 USD. They have 12 SVXs at present.

I bought a rear sub-frame from them, it was mint.

There are four listed here. http://www.car-part.com/index.htm
SSP is Sold and guy in BC is zero, too. Thanks though.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:35 PM
MacArthur

Quote:

IF you can modify the aluminum find a wrx radiator and cut and weld it to fit
Hi, Do you know anyone who has done that wrx radiator cut and weld you entioned? Could any radiator shop do it? Thanks
Old 10-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhenderson View Post
Hi, Do you know anyone who has done that wrx radiator cut and weld you entioned? Could any radiator shop do it? Thanks
you will need a radiator shop that doesn't mind custom work. they will ideally need to relocate the bottom mount pegs, and maybe relocate the top hose input. Though I think using a wrx top hose would work instead.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Do you have Facebook? one of the facebook members has a hook up for you in Surry.

"Allen Allisen Have the member contact me i will connect him with THE svx guru who happens to live in Surrey"
Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 PM
MacArthur

Quote:
Do you have Facebook? one of the facebook members has a hook up for you in Surry.

"Allen Allisen Have the member contact me i will connect him with THE svx guru who happens to live in Surrey"
Hi. Could you tell me his lookup name? Thanks
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hi. Could you tell me his lookup name? Thanks
he isn't on the forums, his name is Allen Allisen.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM

I guess I had good timing... had the radiator fail just over a month ago & bought the last AMR w/o fans.

my SVX.net post
Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 AM

I have a rad, with shroud and fans for sale. It was working fine, it was just that I am OCD anal retentive about transmission temperature. I wanted something that would keep the coolant temp at no more than 88 C. Although I have a stand alone trans cooler, the PO mounted it behind the AC condenser, which I didn't feel was the right place for it. I went back to routing through the rad. I wasn't happy about that, so I ordered from AMR. I waited almost six months for the AMR replacement, so, obviously, there wasn't anything wrong with my rad, as I never added a drop during that time.

One of the differences with the AMR rad set up is that you have to splice the two fan wires together, the result is that the fans run on high all the time, as opposed to the factory set up, which will let the coolant get to 96 C before kicking on the fans, if the AC or ventilation system isn't on. So, obviously, I've cut the leads from the original rad so as to keep the plug in connectors. Other than that.. it's in decent shape. I have no idea if it's the original rad or not..

lemme know..

Last edited by Chucksta; 11-03-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 AM
MacArthur

Hi. Installing same AMR rad in car tomorrow. Hope it works. Thanks for helping.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:00 PM

It'll work great..

Before I put mine in, I let the car idle, with the ventilation system off ( no fans until temp threshold ), and used the OBD2 port and dongle for an accurate temp reading. Then checked how quick the temp dropped when the fans kicked in.

Did the same test with the AMR rad.. Significantly quicker temp drop once the fans started. The supplied fans pull way more air through the rad than the stock set up. I just wish that they could have supplied a compatible multi speed type, like the stock ones were.

In traffic, with the vent system calling for fans, I never see more than 89 C. As the sensor reads from higher up in the block ( closer to exit temp), I'd think it's safe to assume that at the bottom of the rad, where the trans cooling line runs, it's keeping the trans significantly cooler than the stock rad.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 AM
MacArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksta View Post
It'll work great..

Before I put mine in, I let the car idle, with the ventilation system off ( no fans until temp threshold ), and used the OBD2 port and dongle for an accurate temp reading. Then checked how quick the temp dropped when the fans kicked in.

Did the same test with the AMR rad.. Significantly quicker temp drop once the fans started. The supplied fans pull way more air through the rad than the stock set up. I just wish that they could have supplied a compatible multi speed type, like the stock ones were.

In traffic, with the vent system calling for fans, I never see more than 89 C. As the sensor reads from higher up in the block ( closer to exit temp), I'd think it's safe to assume that at the bottom of the rad, where the trans cooling line runs, it's keeping the trans significantly cooler than the stock rad.
Hi, it's been several months now and the AMR radiator has worked fine. One of the old radiator hoses blew out afterwards though so should have replaced them at the same time the AMR radiator was first installed. Put in an order for another one, but AMR stated it's still waiting for enough buyers to sign up again before another production run. Anyway the SVX was saved from being a paperweight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: