Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2016, 04:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
intermitent slow shift from 3to 4 & slow to start

I bought a 92 svx a few months ago and the guy said the transmission had been rebuilt 4,000 miles ago, it had 66.000 when I got it. It seems that sometimes it has a slow change from 3rd to 4th gear, not often but sometimes. also when the temp.outside is like 20 degrees F I have to drive about 2 miles for it to shift into 4th, it runs fine in 3rd no slipping or anything, just seems to have to warm up to shift and if it is like 7 degrees it takes more like 4 miles to shift, after it once changes, it will work fine all day. Also I don't know if it is related or not but ever since I have had the car it sometimes doesn't start right up like it should, sometimes it will. I changed the temp.coolant sensor and that didn't do any good, when it does fail to start right up,I have to press the gas peddle to get it to start. Any ideas on this will be appreciated. Thanks, Vernon
Old 01-10-2016, 04:38 PM

Re: intermitent slow shift from 3to 4 & slow to start

Well Vernon ATF temp needs to be 50 f before 4th gear is made
you say it shifts fine warm ,no flashing power light
i would call that normal
Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

He may have added a external transmission cooler. When you use them in the winter it takes a little longer to warm up the ATF so it takes a little longer to shift 4rth into overdrive. Mine is like this as well.

When you say there is a starting problem, what exactly happens does it just click.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-10-2016, 06:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford

I don't have an external cooler on this one, I did on the one I had several years ago, the only other thing that is questionable with the transmission is seldom it will sort of hesitate changing in the lower gears, like in town leaving a stop sign, it like it hits neutral for a couple of seconds and then goes on to shift into the next gear, I am not sure which gears that is because is shifts so smoothly it's hard to tell which gear it's in.
The starting problem isn't the starter not engaging, it turns over fine , it's that lots of the time it doesn't fire right up and if it hesitates I usually have to press on the gas pedal to get it to start, if I keep cranking and not push on the gas , it will start but it cranks way too long, I changed the temp. coolant sensor and that didn't help.. on the other svx I had , I installed a solenoid between the hot post on the battery and the large lug on the starter, I can not remember why I did that, maybe it was for the same reason as this but that's kind of a rigged way of doing things and I would rather it work right and that might not have been why I did that. Thanks, Vernon