How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-07-2001, 07:02 PM
dart

You never know

Just made my first trip to the local Subaru parts counter to procure some parts for the SVX we bought two weeks ago. I'm chatting with the counter person and a mechanic and they told me about a 92 black LS-L just taken in on trade on the "back" lot.
The previous owner had opted for an Aamco trans rebuild and the
Subaru master tech that had performed all the service on the car had "disowned" him. It definately needs trans work. Seems to shift ok but makes various noises and vibrations. So I bought it for a parts car. Now that I have it home even tho it has a few minor dings and scuffs it is almost as nice as the one I just paid 4 times as much for. I guess I'll save up for a trans. Sheesh these things are addictive
Old 12-07-2001, 07:22 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: You never know

Quote:
Originally posted by dart
Sheesh these things are addictive
You ain't just whist'lin' Dixie, bro!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-07-2001, 07:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
BTW, how much are they quoting for a suby reman in good ol' Loo-uh-vull? It's two hours away from me, but, if I end up having to have another tranny, I'll travel the two hours -- even have it towed the two hours, before I'll let the folks at Romain touch my car. 4,600.00 for a tranny! BS!!!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-07-2001, 07:53 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
BTW, how much are they quoting for a suby reman in good ol' Loo-uh-vull? It's two hours away from me, but, if I end up having to have another tranny, I'll travel the two hours -- even have it towed the two hours, before I'll let the folks at Romain touch my car. 4,600.00 for a tranny! BS!!!
Bachman Subaru on Bardstown road quoted me $2399.00 for a remanufactured trans plus 6.0 hours labor or $438.00 . Plus I met the master tech who is very familiar with SVX's (fortunate for me).
Looks like $2837.00 to me. Of course I have no personal experience with this fellow's work but I got a good "vibe" off him for what thats worth.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Bachman Subaru on Bardstown road quoted me $2399.00 for a remanufactured trans plus 6.0 hours labor or $438.00 . Plus I met the master tech who is very familiar with SVX's (fortunate for me).
Looks like $2837.00 to me. Of course I have no personal experience with this fellow's work but I got a good "vibe" off him for what thats worth.
Looks like I'm heading to Louisville next time I need work done. You wouldnt happen to have an extra room?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-07-2001, 08:13 PM
dart

Quote:

Looks like I'm heading to Louisville next time I need work done. You wouldnt happen to have an extra room?
Sure thing bro I got phone numbers and who you need to talk to so if the need arises no problemo
Old 12-07-2001, 08:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Sure thing bro I got phone numbers and who you need to talk to so if the need arises no problemo
Beautiful! But, I hope it won't come to that. Of course, if the tranny rebuilder can't find a quick and inexpensive way to fix my 2-3 flare, it may be a while before I'll need a new tranny. Like, maybe, 25 to LIFE.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-07-2001, 08:35 PM
dart

Quote:

Beautiful! But, I hope it won't come to that. Of course, if the tranny rebuilder can't find a quick and inexpensive way to fix my 2-3 flare, it may be a while before I'll need a new tranny. Like, maybe, 25 to LIFE.
Can you describe what you mean by 2-3 flare? Slippage? Engine rpm's increase? Also, where is the alarm module and whats it look
like? Thanks.

Last edited by dart; 12-07-2001 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:25 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem and just unhooked the drop resister, works fine now.
As for my rebuild, it was 650 including new solenoids and another 150 for a reman TC. I've logged close to 40,000 miles without problems. I still have a complete spare trans that I need to part, it's disassembled and ready for the picking.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:42 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by listed

As for my rebuild, it was 650 including new solenoids and another 150 for a reman TC. I've logged close to 40,000 miles without problems. I still have a complete spare trans that I need to part, it's disassembled and ready for the picking.
Did unhooking the drop resistor solve the problem listed by aredub (2-3 flare) or my situation with noise and vibration? (Can't imagine a resistor being cut would help me tho..)

Last edited by dart; 12-10-2001 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:19 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by listed

I've considered doing this as a diagnostic, but, wouldn't want to leave the resistor undone. I don't like the abrubptness of the shifts -- especially in stop 'n' go. I may also do a little "tweaking" on the TPS before I commit to taking it back to the rebuilder.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-11-2001, 11:14 AM
Lowered SVX

unhooking the resistor has given....

me no problems. car shifts aggressively and runs relatively smooth. i have had mine unhooked for about 7,000 miles with no problems.

cant believe you have two svx's already!! i would have to fix and drive them both. one would be for mods and the other a daily driver/parts car if needed.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-11-2001, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I've considered doing this as a diagnostic, but, wouldn't want to leave the resistor undone. I don't like the abrubptness of the shifts -- especially in stop 'n' go. I may also do a little "tweaking" on the TPS before I commit to taking it back to the rebuilder.
I had the same problem as well, but eventually the ECT adjusted itself to apply less pressure in other gears. At least I hope so, perhaps I need another pump or new bands (yikes). the builder told me that these transmissions burn eat up the high clutches if you don't build them just right.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:59 PM
dart

Re: unhooking the resistor has given....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
cant believe you have two svx's already!! i would have to fix and drive them both. one would be for mods and the other a daily driver/parts car if needed.
Workin' on it (literally)