How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Headed to Texas...

So anyway, I'd pay dues for an organized club with a newletter, YES. I've had no problem responding to several calls for help from the administrators in the past.

It is going to be a lot of work though. My last exposure to a car club that had it's act together was the BMW Car Club. They had a national mag that rivaled many car magazines. The local chapters also put out their own newsletters. I had the pleasure of being the Newsletter Editor of the Mountain State Chapter for 3 years.
The advantage of BMW? They had a LOT of members. Not all that many locally that would show up for meetings and activities, that was always a small core group. But the membership paid dues, all of them, so we got the benefit of that whether anybody showed up or not.
The downside of that small core group was that we had to do all the work. I really hadn't planned on being editor for 3 years, it was more like editor-by-default cause no one else would do it. It was like that for all the leadership positions in the local chapter and it burned people out.

That being sia....dang...I'd love to help out any way I could. If we keep our goals realistic, it could work out I think - but definitely, we will need a dues structure. Can't do a thing without a source of revenue you can depend on.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

The last time we attempted to "Get Formal" everthing died in committee. In fact, we couldn't get a committee together to die in. It's always about money. If we're gonna' get serious again I suggest we set the annual fee for admittance pronto, & get a list of contributors. I think the prior effort included a "Junior & Senior" membership level so wealthy folk, like myself, can contribute say $50.00 (OK, $49.95) a year, & receive something special....like a gold trimmed SVX window decal that says, "Look at me - I'm feelthy rich!"
For the starving students a fee of around $19.95 would include a decal that says "I'm not worthy!" So, I now strongly suggest we begin a poll of SERIOUS contributors, tally up the booty, & see where it takes us.
Put me down for $49.95 plus tip.

Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
The last time we attempted to "Get Formal" everthing died in committee. In fact, we couldn't get a committee together to die in. It's always about money. If we're gonna' get serious again I suggest we set the annual fee for admittance pronto, & get a list of contributors. I think the prior effort included a "Junior & Senior" membership level so wealthy folk, like myself, can contribute say $50.00 (OK, $49.95) a year, & receive something special....like a gold trimmed SVX window decal that says, "Look at me - I'm feelthy rich!"
For the starving students a fee of around $19.95 would include a decal that says "I'm not worthy!" So, I now strongly suggest we begin a poll of SERIOUS contributors, tally up the booty, & see where it takes us.
Put me down for $49.95 plus tip.

Ron
I second that. Put me down for the feelthy rich

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 02-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Old Guy

Larry, I liked the movie "Conspiracy Theory" and think that would be a good name for our newsletter. Seriously, its a great idea although it requires tons of work to get it done with any hope of a professional appearance. Maybe we should start small (and cheap) with a four-page front-and-back black on white newsletter. It could be mailed in a plain #10 envelope with mailing cost being nothing more than a first-class stamp. As interest picks up and money is available, we could graduate to something more costly. Good idea. Why don't you post it on the Yahoo site as well.
Preston
Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Umm...as someone who was sort of a part of the committee that died...A newsletter sounds great, but the problem is finding someone to write an article, put it all together, etc...

Our main problem was trying to justify the membership dues, other than keeping the forum going and giving away some schwag for the donors.

IMO a newsletter would be nice, but as I see it, this board is basically a giant daily newsletter and archive all in one, I don't see much need for a printed version...but that's just me..

I strongly agree we need a method to financially support this site, and it is something that is being worked on by Chris at this moment.

Be patient and soon you will all have a chance to donate and help out, that's all the more I will say...Chris can fill in the rest when he is ready.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 02-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have been thinking the same thing. This is a progressive newsletter that is refreshed on a daily basis. It also gives info that you need when you need it.

As Radar O'Riely said - "Wait for it!"

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-06-2006, 11:42 PM
One teal and One yellow

This is a good idea but I think it would take a while to come through . . .

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-07-2006, 07:56 AM
<<<Alcyone

I've been involved with creating newsletters for a few groups over the years. Normally, 'everyone' starts out excited, contributing articles (only a few days after the deadline). Then due to varying writing abilities, an editor has to make them look good. Then people will start complaining that the editor is changing 'everything' (even if it's just spelling and grammar). Then people start 'forgetting' about the deadline entirely.

A regulary scheduled newsletter can be a daunting task, especially since we are located all over the world. We would need a group of committed people, who live close enough to each other to meet up a few times to get things going. Email communications would work once everything is going smoothly, but face to face meetings would be needed in the beginning.

As SVX owners, we are generally busy earning money to fix/take care of our babies or actually working on our babies. Who thinks they have the time in their lives to take on the needed responsibilites? I've seen several members say they would be willing to pay for a newsletter, but I don't think I saw anyone volunteering to step up and lead it.

What can we do in a newsletter that we can't do here in the forums? Anything that would be put into a printed (or pdf) article could be a new thread.

I completely agree with Stevebsy's and Earl's comments about our forum being "a giant daily newsletter and archive all in one" & "a progressive newsletter that is refreshed on a daily basis". I'd like to push Earl's comment even further and say that it's updated minute by minute, 24 hours a day. Even the largest of daily big city newspapers don't have the power that we have on our forum!

IMHO,
Dan
Old 02-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
It's coming...

As Earl says.

Chris is coming up with a format, and there WILL be membership fees, with different grades, different benefits. Something to suit everyone.

It's good to see everyone contributing to the debate, and although Dan describes his opinion as "humble", it's a good and valid one.

I don't agree with it, however. I mean, about the need for a Newsletter being eclipsed because the Forum does all that.

In principle, most forums tend to have people posting short sweet conversational style replies, relict of the time when bandwidth and memory and everything else was scarce or expensive. The difference from a Newsletter is, a Newsletter is like a magazine, it contains articles.

Personally, I think we should consider the compilation of a Newsletter. Quarterly, maybe, or more often, depending on demand and resource. Someone has already offered to edit it, I think.

But in saying this, I suspect we might be doing well to only pass along the Newsletter by email, in pdf format. It can be properly compiled, proper desktop publishing format for those who want to print off, staple and collect. That will keep the cost down, and it's available to all who supply an email address.

Does anybody think this format would work? Or be attractive?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
As Earl says.

Chris is coming up with a format, and there WILL be membership fees, with different grades, different benefits. Something to suit everyone.

It's good to see everyone contributing to the debate, and although Dan describes his opinion as "humble", it's a good and valid one.

I don't agree with it, however. I mean, about the need for a Newsletter being eclipsed because the Forum does all that.

In principle, most forums tend to have people posting short sweet conversational style replies, relict of the time when bandwidth and memory and everything else was scarce or expensive. The difference from a Newsletter is, a Newsletter is like a magazine, it contains articles.

Personally, I think we should consider the compilation of a Newsletter. Quarterly, maybe, or more often, depending on demand and resource. Someone has already offered to edit it, I think.

But in saying this, I suspect we might be doing well to only pass along the Newsletter by email, in pdf format. It can be properly compiled, proper desktop publishing format for those who want to print off, staple and collect. That will keep the cost down, and it's available to all who supply an email address.

Does anybody think this format would work? Or be attractive?

Joe

I agree with Joe. While an actual, hardcopy newsletter is great (I have done a couple in VERY basic format in Word), from experience I know it is a lot of work! It is costly to print if you have Kinko's or the like do it, but if you go someplace like a UPS store and do the copying yourself, it costs (here in Winchester, VA) 3.5 cents per page - in black and white. But then there is the postage costs to consider - multiply 38 cents times 2,000 members, and that is real money!! And don't forget our international members.

So, in my opinion, publishing via the forum or e-mail in PDF format is the way to go. I can imagine what Chris is working on, and I think he will hit the nail on the head with the way to go. There must be some way to track members that pay their dues in order to acquire the e-mailed newsletter. Obviously, if you post you have to "sign in" (handleand password), and I would think it would be fairly easy to use the "sign in" as the key to the newsletter. The newsletter could be a particular "FORUM" that only presents itself to the dues-paying members. I also believe it would be easier to find a newsletter publisher if it can be done "on-line" too, Believe me (I just copied and distributed our local Homeowners Association newsletter - and THIS is after articles were written and the newsletter was put together!), a hardcopy version will be a LOT of work and time consuming for someone - not many have the time to spare. We have had, however, a couple of folks expressing an interest in doing this, but the question is for how long. One gets burned out after a while - I know!

So bottom line for me: I would gladly pay dues for the opportunity for this relationship to continue with this wonderful group of SVX'ers. The forum is already a great wealth of info for all of us, and it has some VERY helpful folks as well. I have met and enjoy so many new friends via my SVX and this forum. Anything we can do to keep us together and continueing to share is a plus! A newsletter would be superb, but I would recommend electronic publishing - if a hardcopy is desired, a member can print it off him / herself.

Harry (looking forward to hearing from Chris!!)
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 02-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Hater

are the dues going to be a requirement to view the forums?

i contributed when the AC needed upgrading for the server, and that was after i had sold my SVX. however, i really don't see myself paying yearly dues for a car forum when i no longer own that car. quite a few people who no longer own SVXs still like spending time on this place, so don't alienate them.

i've seen the newsletter idea on other forums, and as others have said, it starts out with a lot of enthusiasm, and then is quickly forgotten about. we have the How-To locker, Site News on the main page, and Regional forums for Meets/announcements - what exactly would go in the newsletter anyway?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I am with Alan on the alienating thing. I don't have an issue paying dues. I did once. We tried to keep it as free as possiable so far. I think admins and mods have heard me talk about this issue before.

I say we should have how to articles with colour photos as newsletters for memberships. I'll print and edit them if needed. Just let me know.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 02-07-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
We're trying to get rid of all the people who don't own SVXs. They are just diluting the quality of life on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
are the dues going to be a requirement to view the forums?

i contributed when the AC needed upgrading for the server, and that was after i had sold my SVX. however, i really don't see myself paying yearly dues for a car forum when i no longer own that car. quite a few people who no longer own SVXs still like spending time on this place, so don't alienate them.

i've seen the newsletter idea on other forums, and as others have said, it starts out with a lot of enthusiasm, and then is quickly forgotten about. we have the How-To locker, Site News on the main page, and Regional forums for Meets/announcements - what exactly would go in the newsletter anyway?

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
We're trying to get rid of all the people who don't own SVXs. They are just diluting the quality of life on here.

i have an SVX hood ornament on my LGT - does that count?

the donation thing seemed to work well, i'm sure another one would go over just as good.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Lwin

What you are saying is very close to the mark on what I was suggesting.

We have had people on here before who are members of other car clubs, not all run primarily through a Forum, on-line. They are pretty uniform of their praise for a magazine style newsletter.

As mentioned above, the newsletter would be comprised of articles. Of which, well written How-Tos, with good quality photographs would be prime examples. Other examples would be for instance if somebody who was going to Reading or other SVX meetings wrote a travelogue, showing what went on, photographs of the cars and the people attending, details of how the evening went, things like that. As the vast majority of members don't actually get to go to these meetings, I am quite sure that the rest of the membership would appreciate a window, a flavour of how it went from someone's perspective.

And before you say this is all documented in the forums, it isn't. From my experience people post, post, post madly up till the day they leave for the drive to the meeting, then nothing. When they get back, you get one or two posts from members who were there saying "great, wasn't it" to other members who were there. No photos. No report. The rest of the SVX world left with their tongues hanging out.

I know that computer-friendly people think that the online system delivers the sun, moon and stars. It doesn't. It is chaotic and incoherent. Everything is there all right if you are happy to spend your life running search engines, and sifting through half-irrelevant lists.

In my view, there is a case to be made for compiling a magazine style newsletter, with all the publishing capability of this new-fangled innernet thingy.

{I agree about the alienating thing also. This is an open forum, we want to keep everyone involved who would like to contribute}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
I am with Alan on the alienating thing. I don't have an issue paying dues. I did once. We tried to keep it as free as possiable so far. I think admins and mods have heard me talk about this issue before.

I say we should have how to articles with colour photos as newsletters for memberships. I'll print and edit them if needed. Just let me know.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl