Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-13-2004, 08:42 PM
DeadlyDuck

Uh oh, I hope this isn't the start of another "How many things can we make SVX stand for" thread.

Ok, well I don't actually have an SVX yet, but I have a question anyways for when I do. I like driving cars with manual trannys and since you would need to do a swap, which would be better, finding the parts and doing the swap myself or buying the smallcar kit?

I've heard you can do it yourself for around $1,000, but I've also heard it can be tedious trying to find all the correct parts to do the swap. On the other hand the smallcar kit is $3,000, but I wouldn't need to look around for those parts.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I got all my parts from the same 2002 WRX donor car. No hunting around required.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Why are SVXs so addictive?
Old 08-13-2004, 09:31 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
There's heroin in the ventilation system

Next question....

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-13-2004, 10:15 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

I thought about your Skyway incident when I drove up to Joyce Kilmer a couple of Sundays ago.

dcb
Oh man.... .... I hate the Cherolla Skyway... The Dragon isn't bad at laa... it's just that Skyway, that kills me... It always has... And I ended up wrecking on it

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
what do you do if you are a n00b AND a t00l? (which you are, Chris )
You pretend that you aren't and let everyone else pretend that you are...

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

Oh man.... .... I hate the Cherolla Skyway... The Dragon isn't bad at laa... it's just that Skyway, that kills me... It always has... And I ended up wrecking on it
I don't think it helped you were playing catch-up.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

But, is it active or passive, Ardub ?, Eddie ?

Harvey.
It's Passive... It's called "really ****ty rear swaybar steering"... Just made that up ... Atleast that's what the USDM SVX uses for it's 4 wheel steering

Old 08-13-2004, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by leviathan
.......... Somebody else thought it might be a power surge coming through my radio, but I don't think so. It has been doing it since I got it in January.

That only happens when your radio is on though... I used to do this when I has a date... turn the radio to an AM station that would pick up the noise... Then tell her that the car is a turbocharged beast ....... Hey, it worked... I got some @$$ by saying that trash

Old 08-13-2004, 10:26 PM

Re: new technical question

Quote:
Originally posted by TXCESSVX
I'm not quite a nubee, but....

I could use a little help on a part of this vehicle I think we all have a little trouble with from time to time. The "electical" aspects of our babies. specifically........

I am having a little trouble with my on-going 5-speed modification.
I know there are several members here who have done this mod, but it's new to me and I'm doing this pretty much solo.

I have made this my summer project and have accomplished all the mechanical portions of the swap; but now I'm struggling over the electrical changes that have to be done.

After researching several searches of threads covering this mod,
I'm still unsure of getting each one right. I'm working off of a check-list I made from those discussions (Thanks Huck and all Others who posted specifics on their swaps) and a set of Chiltons Manual Elect prints (which tend to be confusing)

I guess I'm feeling a little insecure about getting them all right the first time.

A little background might be in order, so intellegent comments can be made. I am using:

1. low mileage 5-speed tranny from 2000 Legacy installed,
( thanks WAWAZAT) (front axles and brakes re-installed)
2. matching 4:11 rearend gears installed into SVX LSD
(shop checked rear diff, axles and brakes re-installed)
3. Hyd actuated clutch assy w/ new stock Legacy clutch and disc,
w/original Legacy flywheel
4. Legacy/SVX mix of pedal assy
5. SVX Drive shaft lengthened and in place
6. TCU removed (connctrs hanging)
7. ECU re-installed (connctrs in-place)
8. Legacy starter in place and connected
9. Steering column and related wiring re-installed But not the drvrs seat yet
10. lengthened shifter rods installed, short shifter stick, Center console trimmed and fitted w/ boot and knob
11. original cross members w/ home-made tranny mount support platform
12. Speed Sensor swapped from auto to manual tranny (not connected yet)
13. It is still up on jack stands, but I'm about ready to lower it to the ground.
I just don't want to have to jack it back up or tear it back apart to re-work something I forgot or didn't get right.

Maybe a thorough Elect "HIT LIST", with good directions, would benefit other members who are contemplating or (like me) currently involved in, or done with this up-grade but neglected one or two of the more recent developments.

Thanks in advance to all the many contributers to this mod who paved the way for the rest of us. (Especially the Pics in your lockers, They have been invaluable)

thanks in advance for those of you who chose to comment in a constructive way ( I enjoy BS as much as the next guy, but right now I need specifics, not BS)

This has been a slow project and I have been enjoying the "play time" while doing this up-grade but now that I'm this close to the finish, I'm getting anxious to take her out on the road again.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Morris
You need to ask "Porter"... He did the wiring on my 5 speed... EVERYTING WORKED PERFECTLY ON IT.... Almost like the 5 speed was meant to be in there ... .You'll love it, I know you will... I loved it!!!

Old 08-13-2004, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I don't think it helped you were playing catch-up.
Yea, that's true... But hey... I didn't want to get lost... I don't know the TN side of the Skyway all that well....

Still that is no excuse for how I was driving... I know I was on the very limits of the Koni/GC suspension and my Kumho tires...