Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-10-2001, 12:34 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Cocacola: Point was, that we pay much less to repair a car here. Current exchange rate is 0.625USD to 1CDN.

Nvrmore: Boy, Calgarians are willing to work for cheap... Out here, you'd be hard pressed to find a programmer for $30kCDN. Hell, when I was on Co-Op in 95 at Proctor and Gamble, I was paid $26kCDN as a programmer analyst trainee, and I was only in 1st year.

A good programmer out of university in Toronto or Ottawa should be able to fetch $40k+. I know guys graduated and got their first jobs at Corel or Deloitte, and was paid $45k+.

Computer field technicians are $35k+expenses for entry level. MCSE w/experience generally fetch $45k+, although with too many MCSE's that know squat all, it's no longer worth quite as much.

My brother's on contract as a system admin at TD. With an EE degree and two years experience, he should be well over $75k by now. Factor in the MUCH lower living expenses here (it's like all the numbers are the same, just the currency is different), it may not be as worthwhile to move south of the border.

I had several in depth discussions with folks that have worked in the U.S., and the general consensus is that if you are single, go for it, if you are married, don't do it. Everything in the U.S. is pay-per-use, where as here it's all part of the package. Case and point: winter hockey for the kids = $1500CDN for the season, to belong in a leaque, whereas if you tried it in Texas, it'd be at least 5x that. There was an article a year back in the Toronto Star that talked about a couple with kids that was making $90k/year, and Nortel offered a job for the husband in San Diego for $90kUSD. They moved, wife decided not to work, and they ended up saving less than when they made $90kCDN here, after paying property taxes, schooling related expenses, healthcare, etc...

My 2 depreciated cents worth.

VK