Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-14-2004, 12:34 PM

sounds like a good find. don't know if i agree that an extended warranty is needed. bought my MY94 LSi in 2001 @ 31K miles. car has only needed normal scheduled maintenance for 3 yrs and another 20K miles on my watch. find a shop who knows subarus and enjoy! I do!
Old 09-14-2004, 01:12 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally posted by ROC
Thank you everyone for responding!

I have one more question. How hard is it to find parts and a mechanic to work on the SVX. I know these are rare cars, so I expect the parts to be a hard find.

BTW, I live in the Milwaukee area.
The Subaru dealer my car's been at for the past month and a half (extended warranty repairs) calls their specific mechanic that works on my car "The SVX tech"... I guess only a handful of Subaru mechanics are actually qualified to work on these cars, at least at dealers.

It's made my car's stay a lot longer than it should've. Perhaps if any mechanic work would be competent enough to work on SVX's, it would've been 2 or 3 weeks instead of almost 2 months.

As for third-party (non Subaru mechanics), I'm not sure how easy it would be for them to work on our cars. Never tried one. Hope I never have to.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 09-14-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieSVX

The Subaru dealer my car's been at for the past month and a half (extended warranty repairs) calls their specific mechanic that works on my car "The SVX tech"... I guess only a handful of Subaru mechanics are actually qualified to work on these cars, at least at dealers.

It's made my car's stay a lot longer than it should've. Perhaps if any mechanic work would be competent enough to work on SVX's, it would've been 2 or 3 weeks instead of almost 2 months.

As for third-party (non Subaru mechanics), I'm not sure how easy it would be for them to work on our cars. Never tried one. Hope I never have to.
I'm afraid referring to their guy an "SVX tech" gives the boys a chuckle as they push your poor ride to the back of the shop to get it out of the way to make room for other customers' cars. There's no excuse for any shop to keep a car that long.

It's an automobile, not a starship. If I can tinker around on my SVX under a shade tree with reasonable success, someone with a clue can work wonders.

Any competent mechanic can service an SVX with outstanding results. Not just any fool with a wrench, but someone who know cars. And it doesn't have to be at a dealership.

dcb
Old 09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

I'm afraid referring to their guy an "SVX tech" gives the boys a chuckle as they push your poor ride to the back of the shop to get it out of the way to make room for other customers' cars. There's no excuse for any shop to keep a car that long.

It's an automobile, not a starship. If I can tinker around on my SVX under a shade tree with reasonable success, someone with a clue can work wonders.

Any competent mechanic can service an SVX with outstanding results. Not just any fool with a wrench, but someone who know cars. And it doesn't have to be at a dealership.

dcb
Hehe, I agree.

I find comfort in the thought that my car's getting the tranny rebuild, 2 brand new front axles, powersteering pump, and power window switches. When it comes out next week it'll feel like a new car.

Man I miss that thing.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
Old 09-14-2004, 02:09 PM

To backpedal a bit: If my car needed a transmission overhaul, I'd have to think long and hard about whether to haul her off to a Suby dealership, or give the local boys a shot. (Here's hoping I never have to grapple with that decision.)

dcb
Old 09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Peach

SVX or not

Deal sounds nice. Be sure and demand Carfax. Procrastination results in the great SVX dissapearing act, especially the low mileage ones.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:53 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
To backpedal a bit: If my car needed a transmission overhaul, I'd have to think long and hard about whether to haul her off to a Suby dealership, or give the local boys a shot. (Here's hoping I never have to grapple with that decision.)

dcb
I hope you don't have to! I don't have to pay for the work, though. About $3500 worth of it... All warranty repairs.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:58 PM
ROC

Quote:

dcb

Carfax and I am going to ask to speak with the previous owner (most of the time this isn't a problem)

The guy told me they were going to sell it within 1 week. Makes me think that getting them to go down to $5500 will be a bit of a problem. Now I have to find $500 laying around somewhere

hmmm... sperm bank and plasma, how much would that give me?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:58 PM
ROC

Damn... they just did the safety check and guess what

The transmission is shot at 46k on a 95

oh well, thanks again for all the help
Old 09-14-2004, 04:46 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ROC
Damn... they just did the safety check and guess what

The transmission is shot at 46k on a 95

oh well, thanks again for all the help
Try to have them drop the price to 3500... Get a 1 year extended warranty with it at around 1200 (4700 total), and bring it in to have a rebuild Subaru tranny put in (2 year, 24k mile warranty I believe).

You got yourself a '95 with 46k on the motor and chasis, and a fresh tranny that will probably last you another 120k miles if you take care of it! (some will argue that it will last you even longer).
Old 09-15-2004, 11:37 AM
ROC

Ok, I am a bit confused about what you are saying.

The guy told me they are going to either rebuild the Tranny and they could sell it to me for $6990 or they are just going to wholesale it out. I never asked him what that means or how much it would cost.

I doubt I could buy it wholesale and get an extended warranty.

Lets say I buy this wholesale, how much would it cost to get a mechanic to rebuild (or put in a new) tranny?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ROC
Ok, I am a bit confused about what you are saying.

The guy told me they are going to either rebuild the Tranny and they could sell it to me for $6990 or they are just going to wholesale it out. I never asked him what that means or how much it would cost.

I doubt I could buy it wholesale and get an extended warranty.

Lets say I buy this wholesale, how much would it cost to get a mechanic to rebuild (or put in a new) tranny?

Depending on what the rebuild entails, anywhere between 1800 to about 3000 at most shops.

I think if they have the tranny rebuild, as long as they can provide paperwork and proof of work plus some sort of warranty on the rebuild work, the car would still be worth the money. I'd give him more like 6500 tho

All SVX trannies need to be rebuild sooner or later (most often sooner). Think of it as an opportunity to get a low miles car with a rebuilt tranny...
Old 09-16-2004, 08:46 AM
ROC

Well he had a guy give him $6600 for the car without rebuilding the tranny. Since I needed a car, I went with my backup option and bought a Mustang .
Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ROC
Well he had a guy give him $6600 for the car without rebuilding the tranny. Since I needed a car, I went with my backup option and bought a Mustang .
Someone paid that much for a '95 with a blown transmission? Cool.

But sorry you missed-out.

dcb
Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
I hunted for an SVX in good condition for 2 years before I found the right one. if this one is to your liking and it appears to be problem free, get it. the price is good. I paid that much for my '94 LSi with 113k and I feel like it was very fair if not cheap. SVXs are rare, and SVXs in good condition are very rare.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k