SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Every member please check in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
That's a beauty! Congratulations! I'm sure we'd all love to see lots more pics and learn a lot more about this car. The paint is gorgeous.
Thanks!

The car was originally purchased in Phoenix in 92 and the collector picked it up from them in 94 at ~15k miles then me at 36k. Records indicate 2 transmission fluid changes already so he must have been aware of the problems.

I still took it to a trusted tranny shop to switch everything to synthetic and will be changing the "campaign" filter next spring. Maybe if I get a nice bonus this year I will replace the radiator to get away from the built in mesh filter and dump the add on filter.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the stereo. I have changed out the speakers but I don't really want to mess with the deck too much. I may just bypass it and buy one of the new Bluetooth car amps and run everything from my phone.

Any way I do have some more picts I am not going to garage queen it but it will be used mostly for fun drives instead of daily driving. I may get a garage heater though. Is that crazy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92svx9.jpg (140.1 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg 92svx1.jpg (111.0 KB, 543 views)

Last edited by toddly; 11-11-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynethh View Post
"Wife calls it my midlife crises car." A very fine mid life crisis. Very fine looking and a that pearl white is one of the most beloved colors. (just a note that the chromed wheels might detract a bit from the main beauty of the car IMHO.)
Thanks! I love the Pearl, but it will be very hard to deal with if I ever need to touch it up.

I hear you on the chrome plating. It is slightly flaking by one of the wheels valve stems. Looks like the original buyer had it done at the time of purchase. I do like the stock color more but the wheels are completely free of scuffs or dings. Is it possible to get them "dipped" in something to remove the chrome without damaging what's underneath?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

"Thanks! I love the Pearl, but it will be very hard to deal with if I ever need to touch it up."

Hopefully, there's no need for touchups. I have a few small dings on my polo green and they drive me nuts because it's nearly impossible to touch up. Only good is I don't sweat parking lots as much as I did when I first bought it. (Also a mid-life 'crisis' car.)

Thanks for more details. Sounds like a rare find. Very curious about what you paid but that is your business. On this site, I'm sure it is worth whatever you paid. Check this low mileage thread if you haven't already:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...e+list&page=13

The definition for 'crazy' has been stretched far beyond a 'heated garage' here. On this forum, you are safe to treat your SVX to all the glories a mid-life extravagance can dream of and afford.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:24 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for more details. Sounds like a rare find. Very curious about what you paid but that is your business.
I'm cool with sharing(just don't laugh at me). I have read a few discussions where the question comes up about whether or not these cars will ever appreciate in value or at least stop declining. I can't really answer that but I can at least put in my data point.

The seller had started the car out at 13900. I saw it when he lowered it to 12900. I offered him 8500, he countered at $9000 and I took it. After I bought it I asked if he had gotten a lot of 'bites' before me. He said that he was going back and forth for some time with someone 200 miles away about why he was asking so much more than Blue book or NADA (I don't remember which) but the guy was going to drive over to check it out. He said he had a couple other brief inquiries also. The best I can tell is it was on the market for a month.

For me who has always loved the SVX then stumbled on one close to home, in that kind of condition and with such low miles the seller had the advantage. I probably would have figured out a way to pay 10,000 if he had not accepted and I am not loaded by any means. I had to insure it through a collector car insurance company (Hagerty Ins.) so that the higher cost paid would be covered.

More picts
http://1drv.ms/1xf6tcR

Last edited by toddly; 11-11-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: More picts
Old 11-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Registered SVX

Man reminds me what my pearlie looked like when I bought it in 1994. Belonged to a little old lady that only used it in the winter while she stored her Mercedes. Had only 9,000 on her. That is one of the nicest ones I have seen in a while.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:00 PM

Registered SVX

"...he countered at $9000 and I took it..."

Stole it.

These cars are so undervalued, IMO, that Blue Book rules don't always apply. There are very few cars you could have spent that money on and gotten so much for your $. I guess most of us feel that way and that's why I paid too much for mine when I bought it. Mine was close to home so I was willing to pay up to $1000 extra. You'd have had to be very patient to find such a deal elsewhere and, then, you may have had to travel and it's just too hard to trust what you can't see and touch.

You might already know that there are lots of SVX owners with a bunch more money than $9k into their rides, so most would say you got a fine deal.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Someone's done a fine job of detailing. I like your idea for the stereo system so you can keep that stock look.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the SVX club.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
"...he countered at $9000 and I took it..."

Stole it.

These cars are so undervalued, IMO, that Blue Book rules don't always apply. There are very few cars you could have spent that money on and gotten so much for your $. I guess most of us feel that way and that's why I paid too much for mine when I bought it. Mine was close to home so I was willing to pay up to $1000 extra. You'd have had to be very patient to find such a deal elsewhere and, then, you may have had to travel and it's just too hard to trust what you can't see and touch.

You might already know that there are lots of SVX owners with a bunch more money than $9k into their rides, so most would say you got a fine deal.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Someone's done a fine job of detailing. I like your idea for the stereo system so you can keep that stock look.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the SVX club.
I am passing the "stole it" bit on to the wife. She likes to give me crap. Mostly jokingly. She has been in it when we went on our local car event "Metro Cruise" that runs the width of our town where thousands gather at the dealerships and malls by the side of the street. She loved the attention it got. The last dealership on the trip was a new Subaru\Porsche place of course. We drove through it and the employees were all pointing "Hey check it out, that's a Subaru!" More folks were checking us out than the Porsches.

She won't admit it publicly but she loved the attention. Then there's the total strangers that have waved us down and the thumbs up gestures. Friggin cool car. LOVE IT.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 1040

Hi to everyone here!
Here is our SVX that I bought for a project but my wife wanted to keep it in original condition
The car is MY92 full stock. We changed some stuff like new sparkplugs PFR6B and Ravenol VSI 5/40 engine oil. New head gaskets and head fully rebuilded. New oils into front and rear diff and also in the AT.
The car cost me around 2500$ to this moment.

I will buy only engine EG33 and will start project soon in Impreza GC.
Now I have EZ30Rt in my Impreza GF8 but its not interesting for this forum I think.
We will be glad to share with you our experience and to take of yours
Best regards!
Tencho and Dessy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1068.JPG (48.2 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1069.JPG (51.3 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1070.JPG (41.2 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1182.jpg (297.3 KB, 544 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Welcome aboard. Aside from the scuffs it looks in reasonable shape. Are those glass headlights? I'm not familiar with Eastern European models.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 1040

Yeah, the headlights are glass. Are yours plastic?
We bought the car from Switzerland.
The car has no AT filter and AT cooler. I think it is good to put one cooler after the heat ex-changer in the water radiator. I bought oil filter console from AT Outback 04.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Very nice, I agree with your wife. The more you drive it, the more you will enjoy it.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Hi my name is dustin ive recently purchased my first subaru happend to be an svx and ive never had such a great car its a 92 3.3H6 awd currently has a custom intake amd a dc sports muffler
Old 01-22-2015, 07:52 AM

My account finally got approved, so figured I should post here. I got a 1992 Dark Teal LSL on trade for an old dirt bike, and was originally planning on just fixing it up a little and getting rid of it, but I have to say, it's a surprisingly solid car. I'm still chasing down some issues like an intermittent tach, water in the trunk, ABS problems, and 4 bad wheel bearings, but now that all the leaks are fixed and the suspension has been repaired, it's pretty quick. I've also done the 4.44 swap and installed a quickchange to get rid of torque management. I'm glad I can work on this stuff myself though - parts are kind of pricey and hard to find, and no one knows how to work on these things anymore.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Welcome! Off the top of my head things that could get water in the trunk would be the weather stripping, the seal on the rear wiper through the glass, and the drain tubes from the sunroof.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Welcome! Off the top of my head things that could get water in the trunk would be the weather stripping, the seal on the rear wiper through the glass, and the drain tubes from the sunroof.
...and drain tube from the antenna....and tail light seals
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"