SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
When I got a ECUstage 1 from Lan he said that the Aus SVX had a different pressure sensor (i think it was) at that his chip would not work in our unit. I have a reader on the way so when I get the info from my unit we will find out what the map is like. I would suggest that the differences in the maps between different models is related to things like air tempreture, allatude and fuel Octain aviability. The possiable differences in performance is most likly not much between all the models.
One question I have is do we all understand what each map does and how the ECU makes each decision as to what map info to use. Here is a couple of questions as to what I mean,
How is "Load" determined?
Is the fuel injection on timing only basied on Air/Fuel or is that only during crusie?

The reason I ask this is that we need to be clear about how each map and sensor fit together to understand how to change things.
Tony

Hi Tony,

I don't think we know enough at this stage to start changing things. Having said that, Mike (UPnorth362) has apparently tried running modified roms on his car.

I believe "Load" is calculated from the MAF. But I don't know the formula yet. More work needs to be done.

The fuel map is a target air:fuel ratio, based on the load and rpm. The ECU uses this to calculate the fuel injector pulse width. ie. The amount of fuel to inject.

The timing map is the amount of spark advance based on the load and rpm. But I don't yet know how the formula to relate the numbers on the Z axis relate to degrees of advance or retard.

The knock map is (I think) the amount that the ECU is allowed to retard the timing if the knock sensors report knocking. Again, I don't know the formula to relate the numbers on the Z axis to degrees of retard.

Lots more work has to be done before I can confidently say I understand how it works.

I think you are right that the different maps are related to the fuel availability in different markets. In the UK we have both JDM and UK models running very different maps on the same fuel. Assuming the UK one is optimised for UK fuel, the JDM one must be out of tune on UK fuel. That's probably why my JDM cars run better on 98 octane "super" than 95 octane "regular".
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 11-06-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 AM

I think it would be good if you could read this artical I have a hard copy but don't have a scanner. In the full artical provides a insite into how part of the ECU system works. The artical talks about measuring vacum pressure but I can't see any sensor in the SVX to read that, can anyone help.
I might be able to borrow the SVX anlyzier and from that we might get a bit more data to help.
If we can decide how some of these things should be calculated we would know what to look for. Great project.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 AM

Fogot the link
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_108521/article.html
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
No, I am going to dump the factory ROM for you from the upgraded USDM ECU's.
Cool. Thanks Tom.
I don't suppose you have a Linux computer? It would be great to dump the whole ROM to a file. But unfortunately we don't have a rom dump program for Windows at the moment
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 AM

Registered SVX
As I see it, the load on an engine must be expressed by way of torque, and there are no measurements available from sensors which can be used to calculate torque.

However the engine can be managed in anticipation of a load, and here the TPS would become an essential part of the equation. Once the engine has settled against a load, adjustments can be made so as to achieve maximum efficiency, but a calculation or measurement of the load/torque is not involved as part of that equation, nor is it required.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 AM

I have a Brother inlaw in the computer game think he might have one. Is it that the software you have operates on Linux?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
As I see it, the load on an engine must be expressed by way of torque, and there are no measurements available from sensors which can be used to calculate torque.

However the engine can be managed in anticipation of a load, and here the TPS would become an essential part of the equation. Once the engine has settled against a load, adjustments can be made so as to achieve maximum efficiency, but a calculation or measurement of the load/torque is not involved as part of that equation, nor is it required.
The term "load" is somewhat confusing.

I too was originally thinking of it as the "amount of load" the engine is under, which as you say is in terms of torque.
But actually I think it means load as in the amount of air being "loaded" into the cylinder. I found a description of a Ford ecu which said the Load = k x (M/n). Where k is a constant, M is the reading from the MAF and n is the theoretical max airflow. In other words it's the current airflow as a proportion (percentage?) of the maximum possible airflow. The formula may well be different for a Subaru, but probably similar. I can't help thinking that the TPS reading should be involved somewhere. I'll only know for sure once I get back to analysing the program code.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 11-06-2007 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
I have a Brother inlaw in the computer game think he might have one. Is it that the software you have operates on Linux?
I wrote a Linux program that will download the ECU memory into a file. The original purpose of this program was for finding the variables for the Select Monitor Software. I was dumping the RAM to a file, unplugging sensors, dumping it again and then comparing the files to see what changed. Then I realised I could download the ROM to a file and disassemble the code.

If your brother in law does have Linux (or a linux boot disk like knoppix) then it would be great to have a look at your ECU rom.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 11-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
No. That is the whole point. A person can only be challenged for breaking the laws of the country they live in. Do we really have to discuss this in a Technical thread?
Well, unless there is a separate thread set up elsewhere to discuss the possibilities and ramifications of copyright infringement as it relates to the ECU memory dumps and downloads discussed here, then I think yes, it should be discussed in this thread.

The Network has no policy statement about this area, and I think it is wise to debate and acknowledge the legal issues and the uses to which the information is put. It at the very least defines the work as non-commercial and for private use which may keep the wolves from the door.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 AM

I will check it out with him, I agree with you explernation of load, I will get the Subaru monitor and see if we can get some sort of relationship between TPS & MAF it would help.
Tony
Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
The term "load" is somewhat confusing.

In other words it's the current airflow as a proportion (percentage?) of the maximum possible airflow. .
That which is not strictly correct is surely somewhat confusing. However I now understand the bending of language involved.

I don't think the TPS would be involved in the factor you now describe.

Don't bend your brain in all of this Phil.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Well, unless there is a separate thread set up elsewhere to discuss the possibilities and ramifications of copyright infringement as it relates to the ECU memory dumps and downloads discussed here, then I think yes, it should be discussed in this thread.

The Network has no policy statement about this area, and I think it is wise to debate and acknowledge the legal issues and the uses to which the information is put. It at the very least defines the work as non-commercial and for private use which may keep the wolves from the door.

Joe
OK. Fair enough. But the phrase "as it relates to the ECU memory dumps and downloads discussed here" should be emphasised to keep any discussion on track.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 11-06-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
I will check it out with him, I agree with you explernation of load, I will get the Subaru monitor and see if we can get some sort of relationship between TPS & MAF it would help.
Tony
If you have access to a proper Subaru Select Monitor, there is one experiment you could try that would be really useful.
Connect the select monitor to the car, then connect the receive wire of your interface to the transmit wire of the Select Monitor. Connect the ground too, and the power if necessary. I can draw you a diagram because it's hard to explain.

Then you can run the hex comm tool, and log the commands that the Select Monitor sends to the ECU for each mode. That will give the definitive memory address for each parameter.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
In its most simple formulation, load is proportional to MAF signal divided by RPM. Usually there is an air temperature compensation built into the MAF value or one is multiplied into the formula. About a month ago, I downloaded the SVX ROM code and the first thing I did was start tracking down the exact load formula, but got sidelined also by a new family addition as well.

Load generally follows the same trend with rpm as torque. They are not equivalent values though. At any given RPM, torque is more closely proportional to load * engine efficiency at that RPM.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko View Post
In its most simple formulation, load is proportional to MAF signal divided by RPM.
OK. So simplistically, if the MAF is measuring the volume of air per minute and you are dividing that by the Revolutions Per Minute, then Load can therefore be thought of as the volume of air per revolution? Or even per combustion if the constant multipler takes into account the number of cylinders.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 11-06-2007 at 12:17 PM.