Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Very nice! Are you going to do your own TIG welding?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Michael,
Very nice! Are you going to do your own TIG welding?
-Bill
Thank you, yes I will be doing the TIG welding. I need to buy some supplies for that still too. Most of our seams are 1/8 to 3/16 joints which require a weirdish thickness 4043 filler that isn't normally stocked by most welding supply shops.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Just some dude.

I forgot to take the camera with me to the shop today. I did finish the bottom pieces for the rest of the manifolds and I fit up the supercharger with one of the new, shorter drive snouts. I had to mill some off of the black cast iron alternator bracket to line it up right. Speeking of which, I need the cast iron alternator brackets now.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Just some dude.

I've been spending a lot of time the last few days tooling up and procuring stock for some more changes/improvements I've decided on.

There is plenty of space in front of the crank pulley and machining a new one will let us make a few very worthwhile improvements. 1st off we can make it smaller. This will allow us to use a smaller drive pulley on the supercharger without running more manifold pressure than the engine wants. Running a smaller drive pulley on the supercharger improves our hood clearance. This opens the way for the second improvement we can make by machining new pulleys. We'll also be machining a new power steering pulley and we'll be making it and the spot on the crank for that belt 6 ribs so that we can use a 6 rib belt on the supercharger.

The 3rd and biggest improvement is we can add another belt. I'm expanding the crank pulley to hold another 5 rib belt which will drive the alternator instead of pulling the 4 rib belt from the ac compressor down to it.

The alternator will now be mountind directly below the crank pulley in a mounting assembly which incorporates the mechanism for tensioning the belt. There are 2 plugs on the bottom of the pump which would make an excellent place to bolt the alternator assembly if only there were bolts there--I'm machining new plugs which will have bolts holes in them.

While most of my time has been spent measuring and ordering and picking up I do have a little bit of physical progress to show. I drew the discharge flange templates, cut them out, and glued them plates which I got cut to the correct size by the supplier.

These changes are expensive for us but I think will make for a much better kit. If nobody has any complaints I'd like to cut the walboro fuel pump from the kit in order to recoup some of the losses since it isn't necessary and the installation is unpleasant to say the least anyway.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up Mods to mods??

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
These changes are expensive for us but I think will make for a much better kit. If nobody has any complaints I'd like to cut the walboro fuel pump from the kit in order to recoup some of the losses since it isn't necessary and the installation is unpleasant to say the least anyway.
If it improves the project I certainly have no objections to what you're doing. Just hope not changing the pump doesn't effect drivablity. Thanks for keeping us up to date Mike.

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn_Sctt
If it improves the project I certainly have no objections to what you're doing. Just hope not changing the pump doesn't effect drivablity. Thanks for keeping us up to date Mike.

Jonathan
Thanks,

No, the stock fuel pump is plenty big for the amount of boost that can be run on an unbuilt engine. I won't be including it as part of the kit in the future. If anyone who preordered demands it I'll include it for them but otherwise will leave it out and we'll all be the healthier for not having to fish around the gas tank.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks,

No, the stock fuel pump is plenty big for the amount of boost that can be run on an unbuilt engine. I won't be including it as part of the kit in the future. If anyone who preordered demands it I'll include it for them but otherwise will leave it out and we'll all be the healthier for not having to fish around the gas tank.
No worries, I'm no engineer, so won't second guess your decisions.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
...I'll show the timing maps first as it is easier to understand and a cleaner looking map in the factory form. The SVX uses both a lot and very little timing due to the engines design. The ignition timing map goes all the way from 50 degrees at high rpms and low load to 0 degrees at low rpms and high load. Here's the factory timing map:...
Which sensor readings are used by the ECU to determine the engine load listed on your plots? If you know the exact formula (e.g. load = a1*maf^a2*tps^a3...), I'd be curious to know.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Just some dude.

I finished getting the 6061-T6 round for the pulleys today.

And I drilled and milled the discharge flanges.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
You got your thumb in the pictures.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
You got your thumb in the pictures.
That's to show the Dr. how it goes back on in later phases of the project.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Just some dude.

So anybody have any alternator brackets? That's the black cast iron piece with the engine pulling loop on it. I'm 3 shy on them.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
maybe.....

tom
Old 08-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
So anybody have any alternator brackets? That's the black cast iron piece with the engine pulling loop on it. I'm 3 shy on them.
I think I still might have one.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I think I still might have one.

Now we are talking. Matt to the rescue again.