Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
HAPPY 3rd ANNIVERSARY FORUMS!!

It was three years ago, today that we had our GRAND OPENING of the SVX World Network Forums.

It's fitting that this past weekend marked a big move with many many improvements -- stay tuned for the full story.

"Props" go to Chris Townsend for his tireless efforts and his continued out-of-pocket funding of this site and to his honoring his commitment from three years ago, even when he could've (and probably, at times, realistically, should've) given up.

For those of you who are unaware of how these forums came about, here is a brief history. Enjoy!

It all started on the Yahoo board, on January 26th, 2001. Several of us had been complaining, ad nauseum, about the "Message 40 Bug." That nasty little Yahoo glitch that would send you back to the first 40 posts when you were trying to read current posts. We had also been toying with the idea of creating a "True SVX Club" -- I had tried to hype it up on a couple of occasions, and the idea would just die on the vine. I had also been rallying for a unified "clubhouse" for all SVXers. Due to the "40 Bug," some had split off onto the i-club forum, where they were generous enough to give us a little corner of their club. Of course, there were constant threats of dumping us if we didn't get more members, so, that was a bust. Finally, on the aforementioned date, one of our members, "Thumper" made this post on Yahoo:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=48445

After a "spirited" exchange with one member who had a very strong opinion of what a "Club" should have, the spirit began to wane, then, Chris (Vidar_SVX as he was known on the Yahoo club) posted this, on February 4th, 2001:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=49389

I quickly responded with this post:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=49485

Others jumped on the bandwagon and all the donations were finally made, monies were sent to Chris and he purchased the Software. On February 6th, the "Network" went on line:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=49629

After a few tweaks and some graphics, I decided to make the "Network" my home and began to encourage others to do the same.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=52099

Finally, after some of us had been chatting back and forth in the "New Clubhouse," we made the decision to announce the "Grand Opening" of "The SVX Owner's Network."

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=52928

Having been in the advertising business, I was elected "spokesman." I posted several reminders before the Grand Opening. I got a lot of flack from many of the old Yahoo members, saying I was trying to tear the club apart, etc. Chris even got some rather ugly mail, anonomously from some people, but, we were determined to make this thing work.

So, on March 15, 2001, (although some of us had been on "The Network" for some time), the doors were opened to the general public for an initial look-see. Some of the old Yahooers didn't like the format (actually they didn't want to take the time to learn something new) and decided to put up with "the bug" instead of unifying. Others were very pleased, some were neutral.

Basically, Chris has been the hands and brains, and I've been the cheerleader. He supplied the knowhow and hardware and I supplied the hype.

Along the way, we might experience equipment failures, or need software upgrades. Chris would let me know, and I'd solicit funds from those who had put their hats in the ring to buy the first software (Not wanting the general membership to get turned off by constant soliciting). Or, in some cases, I'd put out a General SOS to the small membership, to donate hardware -- things like power supplies, fans, hard drives . . . whatever. Things that a lot of folks had lying around their houses. Chris was always too shy to ask for things.

Chris eventually pulled a "backroom" team together who donated bandwidth, equipment and various other sundries, free of charge. As of today, we're operating on a dedicated T1 line with equipment that has cost Chris and the backroom team (who have no interest in SVXes, nonetheless support Chris in his efforts) lots o' dollars.

Eventually, it has become what you see today: A site made by SVXers, for SVXers.

It has been a great and rewarding ride. I certainly hope we will now become a unified home for SVXers and be able to keep things running and improving. I am no longer shy about asking members for donations. Soon, there will be an account specifically for support of the forums. When that occurs, we'll post the address and you will be asked for donations. Notice, it says "donations" not "you will be charged." When that time comes, I ask that you donate generously. Please, however, wait for that official account (which Chris Townsend will be setting up) to donate. Although any monies donated to the subaru-svx.net address will be secure, it'd be best to wait for the new account in order to avoid any confusion.

Thank you all for your interest and your support past, present and future.

Randy
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 03-15-2004 at 09:55 AM.