SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 09:08 PM
AK Rowdy

Send a message via AIM to Crysis
Fog lights...illegal?

Is it just me or are the fog lights on these cars unusually bright? I think SVX's look better at night with them on, but everytime I turn them on cars start flashing their brights at me. I was wondering if cops can give tickets for having them on when..umm..there is no fog, since they are so bright on this car??? Maybe mistaking them for brights.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
They do it to me as well. They just don't realize they are fogs.

If you look closely, you'll see the beam aims lower, and if you get out and look for yourself, it is not as bright as the headlights.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
People probably just think they are high beams because they see 4 lights... I just ignore the first flash, if they flash a second time I flip to highs and leave it like that
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
People probably just think they are high beams because they see 4 lights... I just ignore the first flash, if they flash a second time I flip to highs and leave it like that
Haha. That would do it.

Some more advice:

Watch the road they are on. If it's bumpy or wavy it can appear as if you are being flashed. This is a common effect of driving a car so low to the ground.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I've never had anyone flash at me and I drive with mine on all the time. Trust me, They aren't very bright. Turn them on and stand in front of the car.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
Pfft...a newbie manuver. The REAL move is to turn your lights off, push the stalk forward to the high position, and beam the hell out of them a second before they go by. Works like a charm...but if you see brake lights, you may want to take the creative way home

As for fogs being illegal...For some reason, every idiot that has em on their car (99% of them in the bumper) have them on. Daytime, night time...Whenever. I hate theese jerks...I mean....it itsnt foggy out? wtf? your wasting alternator output and more than likely going to blow a bumb beforte you actually need them...IN THE FOG. Idiots...And Nooo...the svx is all low to the ground and trucks put them right at eye level. Yeah, fogs at eye level....stupid J.C. Whitney grill mounted wal-mart blue bulb bull**** all up in my face. And wtf is with HID's? are they blue? purple? White? Either way they blind the **** out of anything within a mile away, only to become bareble a half second before you "Beam them back"
Bright lights are only safe to the jerks using them. If people wore their glasses and their damned contacts, they wouldnt need to blind the hell out of everyone else on the road to see what the hell they are doing...

....Oh crap...Sorry for the rant. I must be the most compulsive typer.
What was the thread about? I probly answered the queston somewhre in there. Bedtime now, bye bye
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

i got pulled over once at night for fog lights.

stupid cop pulled a U-turn and went into super pursuit mode. after i saw him U-turn, i just pulled into the first driveway i saw and waited for Hormel's poster child. with his donut in tow, the fat limey bastard came up and ask for my license (which i already had out).

he asked me if i knew why he pulled me over. i thought to myself, 'cause your a dick and krispy kreme ran out of strawberries?'..but said 'nope' instead.

the dirty copper said, 'i pulled you over because you had on your high beams.'.

i was like, uhh..no i didn't.

his reply in a not so nice, mayonaise gagging manner, 'yes you did, i counted 4 lights so you have them on.'

i thought, damn when did pot bellied pigs learn to count???

i told him to go stand in front of my car and he did. at this point i could have tried to pin this hog to the other car in the driveway, but instead turned on my fog lights.

honey-baked was looking kinda flushed, gave me my license back, and said I could leave. Moron.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
My fog lights are always on...as DRL's
Old 02-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis
I was wondering if cops can give tickets for having them on when..umm..there is no fog
No

Next thread
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-20-2006, 02:44 PM

I get flashed all the time when the fogs are on. 90 percent of the time it's by trucks, whose lights are already blinding to begin with - so it's quite kind of them to feel the need to blind me further with their highbeams.

Of course I flash them back, but I've had a few instances where I may have been quick to flash back and they may have just been hitting bumps instead of actually flashing me...which i feel badly about.

It got so frustrating that I usually just turn them off now, even though the fogs help out a lot with illuminating the sides of the road in case of an errent dear or what not.

But I got tired of being blinded all the time. However I do turn the fogs on when I'M driving on the highway just cuz no dickheads can flash me constantly.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCamusJr
Of course I flash them back, but I've had a few instances where I may have been quick to flash back and they may have just been hitting bumps instead of actually flashing me...which i feel badly about.
Part of the problem with that is a lot of domestic vehicles use their highs and lows in the same housing so you can't tell if in fact they did flicker their lights.

Same for people with burnt out taillights on most domestic cars. Are they turning or just pumping the break?

Nobody knows.

That's why I drive a Subaru.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Part of the problem with that is a lot of domestic vehicles use their highs and lows in the same housing so you can't tell if in fact they did flicker their lights.
I occasionally have trouble picking-up a blinking turn signal on the front of some cars at night because it's so bleepin' close to the headlight. Stupid design, in my book.

dcb
Old 02-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Seadog

Thumbs up fogs

I live in Nova Scotia.We use fogggg lights.