Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-21-2004, 08:45 AM

[sigh...]
Old 06-21-2004, 08:57 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
An Esprit is not going to accept the challenge of a Camaro any more than I will accept the challenge of a Honda in my SVX. Does that sound too elitist? Shoot, half the reason I bought an SVX is so I could thumb my nose at other drivers. (The other half is so I didn't have to be one of them.)
Many cars can go fast, but few can do it with the style and grace of an SVX.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

So true! Going fast is 1/2 the fun, getting there in style is the other 1/2!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
Many cars can go fast, but few can do it with the style and grace of an SVX.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-21-2004, 11:57 AM
arondale

Driving Too Fast

Porter will verify my driving habbits. I drive very fast. Not that its a good thing to treat other cars as orange cones or obstacles on the highway (actually, I avoid "weaving" through traffic), but I generally drive at high-speed often. I can help it, but don't want to. Its not that I out to prove anything or wish for tickets, ...no, it's just a general joy for speed.

Generally I will gun it without changing gears between "groups" of cars on the highway and pass other cars at acceptable speeds.

Driving this way makes many people want to race me, especially since my SVX is red with bronze 18" shoes. However, I don't care if I am passed. Generally speaking, it would not be wise to try and pass me, ...as my braking power and suspension mods make it easier for me to manuver, should there be a "situation." Generally I get some idiots in acuras or altimas that feel they must prove their car is capable of passing mine. If I see one of these idiots, I will usually slow down, which makes them feel proud...but every now and again...when the street is open and they've been asking for it...I let her loose and "bye-bye."

I'll never grow up, I'm sure of it.

arondale
Old 06-21-2004, 01:53 PM

Re: Driving Too Fast

Quote:
Originally posted by arondale

I'll never grow up, I'm sure of it.
Relative to this particular topic, that speaks volumes.

dcb
Old 06-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Driving Too Fast

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Relative to this particular topic, that speaks volumes.
dcb
I'm gonna have to agree and resemble that remark.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:26 PM
arondale

Just being honest. When one of the first cars I drove was my dad's award-winning '66 Fastback with a bored Chevy 350 with a GMC 4-71 blower bolted atop of it....tied to a turbo 400 tranny with a kenne-bell switch pitch dual-stall speed manually controlled torque converter....a youngster's initial impression of the "automobile" is "Gee, so this is a fast car." This inaccurate depiction of one's normal view of a fast car is then seeded into my psychie...as deep down I know I am always going to try to relive that childhood feeling in my own car...which will never happen.

Having a dad who owns a couple of "one-of-a-kind" cars that make one want to re-invent the "oh shyt" bar is part of reason I blame him for my heavy foot.

arondale
Old 06-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by arondale
Having a dad who owns a couple of "one-of-a-kind" cars that make one want to re-invent the "oh shyt" bar is part of reason I blame him for my heavy foot.
arondale
I just blame it on my etremely quick reflexes and that feeling I get that everything is moving too slowly.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:33 PM

This is one matter I rarely had reason to ponder when driving a wheezing GL wagon or a rust-bucket Legacy sedan.

dcb
Old 06-21-2004, 02:45 PM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.

I just blame it on my etremely quick reflexes and that feeling I get that everything is moving too slowly.
The way you can count the hours as the lines on the road pass by at 65 after you've been going *moderately faster* for a while? You feel like everything around should be buzzing around, and the fact that it's all standing still is just horribly bothersome?

I have no idea what you're talking about....

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-21-2004, 03:00 PM

With the memory of driving through Atlanta on I-75 yesterday fresh in my mind: You're right about 65 seeming dreadfully slow. Running 85 down there is barely stayin' out of the way. And the best part is, if you can't read the odometer of the car in front of you, you're too far back.

dcb
Old 06-21-2004, 05:27 PM
red95svx

Quote:
An Esprit is not going to accept the challenge of a Camaro any more than I will accept the challenge of a Honda in my SVX.

Actually when I drove an Esprit last month I accepted challenges from everyone who dared.

I won them all, of course

Yep, sure do miss that car!

Dave
Old 06-21-2004, 05:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.

Which, of course, you have a record of measuring, and therefore cause to call them 'extremely quick.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-21-2004, 05:58 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Actually when I drove an Esprit last month I accepted challenges from everyone who dared.
I'm sure that would get old. I have faith that a car like that would turn me into an [even more] arrogant snob very quickly. I'm comfortable with that.

I don't understand the appeal of racing in a straight line. If I'm not braking hard enough to uproot inside aft paw, I'm not racing. If my tyres aren't talking to me through the corner, I'm not racing. If a full on throttle exit wouldn't put me into the weeds, I'm not racing. If all I'm doing is pushing the pedal on the far right all the way down, I'm not racing.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

It's for the timeslip at the end! Drag racing is cool when you're making 16-13 sec passes in the 1/4, but by the time you drop down to the 11's or 10's, you're talking about some serious speed!

It's kinda like an amusement park ride - why do people line up for hours just to take a ride that sometimes lasts for less than 10 seconds? It's all about the rush it gives you!

-Chike

P.S. Personally, I like to go drag racing to spend some time alone. There's also a certain satisfaction I get whenever I run a new personal best. Something about concentrating at the line, cutting a good light and racing your opponent until the end.
Quote:
I don't understand the appeal of racing in a straight line.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)