Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-14-2004, 06:51 AM

Okay, so my car looks fast...

Attention: All motorists in the Georgia/Tennessee/North Carolina tri-state region...

From time to time in your travels you may see a somewhat exotic-looking, bluish-green sport coupe with unusual windows. That's me. It's a Subaru SVX. No, s-VEE-x. Yeah, I know you've never heard of it, and that you thought all Subarus were ugly; I hear that all the time.

The speedometer? Umm... one-sixty, and no, I haven't tried. Well, it won't exactly light-up the tires when the light turns green, if that's what you're asking, but when all is said and done it could probably give you a pretty good run for your money, as if that mattered.

The thing is, it doesn't matter. If you've got a trick intake and a Wonder Chip and no cats and a turbo muffler and a horn that plays the first few bars of "Dixie," well, good for you. That thang's gotta hemi? Then you must feel mighty special. But I don't care. So, IF I SHOULD HAPPEN TO OVERTAKE YOU ON THE HIGHWAY, I AM NOT CHALLENGING YOU TO RACE.

(There; I feel better now.)

dcb
Old 06-14-2004, 07:06 AM

-You aren't ..???

(could not resist)

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 06-14-2004, 07:48 AM
red95svx

Re: Okay, so my car looks fast...

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
So, IF I SHOULD HAPPEN TO OVERTAKE YOU ON THE HIGHWAY, I AM NOT CHALLENGING YOU TO RACE.

(There; I feel better now.)

dcb

I hate that. Every time I drive my SVX I get tail-gated by some 17 year old in a riced out Honda/Hyundai/Toyota that just HAS to prove to me his car is faster.......I DON"T CARE!! I'm not challenging your manhood, I'm just driving to work!! Besides, I don't care how fast your car is.....IT"S UGLY!! I'll take style over speed ANYDAY!

Dave
Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Talking Spoken like a guy...

...with a verified 165mph+ top speed! Go Sonny!!!

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
-You aren't ..???

(could not resist)

/Sonny

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-14-2004, 11:33 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
It's not that I don't think my car is faster than a 120hp civic... It's just that I don't like to engage in exercises of futility .

Just this past friday there was a kid in a 3g (if you can even call the new bodystyle that) eclipse with a 4-banger that challenged me to a race. at first I smirk, then he adds "on the highway" at which point I have to keep from laughing. he mumbled something about intake or exhaust or something. I asked him if he had turbo, SC, or nitrous. he shook his head. then I shook my head. he really wanted to race me.

the funny part (yeah, there's still more funny) was that I mentioned that DSMs were quick cars, just to make him feel better (even though I don't think of the newer eclipses as "DSM"s per se). he asked me what a DSM was. hrm.....

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-14-2004, 12:19 PM

variations on a theme

A couple of cars pounced on me from an on-ramp a few of weeks ago. Dark night, curvy 4-lane. Really moving. Just as the lead -- small, late model, light-colored, with some sort of green neon do-dads on the hood -- got to my quarter panel, the car following lit 'em up.

Tennessee State Trooper. Or maybe a local Sheriff's Deputy...? Couldn't tell.

I glance up in the rearview and smile. Bye-bye, y'all.

Justice.

So anyway, if your brain is wired in such a way my passing you means you must catch back up and blow-off my doors: I could not care less quick you are. I like to drive my car at a speed I find comfortable, as conditions and traffic warrant, and I mind my own business. I have nothing to prove. Go away.

dcb
Old 06-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
he asked me what a DSM was. hrm.....
Bwahahaha!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

That last part made the story golden! I can just see the expression on his face now...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
the funny part (yeah, there's still more funny) was that I mentioned that DSMs were quick cars, just to make him feel better (even though I don't think of the newer eclipses as "DSM"s per se). he asked me what a DSM was. hrm.....

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-14-2004, 10:26 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

Just thinking about all these glamour boys that think their Civic's are fast just gets me rolling. I never race them anymore, but it is always fun to just give the SVX a little accelerator press and show them that I don't really need to keep up because if we were at the track, they would be gettin' served. I also think that it is so very comical that they try so hard to impress everyone by doing all those stupid ricer "mods".

A little of the subject, but I was hanging out in a parking lot after the friday night downtown cruises with a bunch of people listening to a guy tell me everything about my car. The guy said something to the effect that the boxer 4 cylinders that they stuffed into the SVX are amazing. Last time I checked I could have sworn that the SVX's were equipped with only 6 cylinder engines, but it is nice to know that my 4 cyl. engine is doing OK.

Boy that guy had no idea what he was talking about.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 06-15-2004, 01:54 AM
SVX Appeal

Since when did front-wheel-drive cars become cool? Aside from old ladies and generic commuters, who buys a FWD car? They absolutely reek of the grocery-getting, always under-the-speed-limit driving, fuel misering, stop-and-go traffic driving mentality. ...and that's totally okay. But unless you fit that description, why on earth would you ever drive a FWD car? For those who fit that description, more power to ya. Just don't start thinking your Civic is anything a Geo ain't. …because it isn't!

Performance cars are RWD or sometimes AWD, but FWD is a safety-minded invention that is silly in a performance car. It's frightening how fast some of these econoboxes are becoming. I just can't understand how oblivious people are to the fact that FWD cars are not well suited to performance applications. I suppose the safety aspect does make sense, as many of these folk really need a low-performance feature like gross on-throttle understeer to reign them in.

Sigh... Is it just me? Was I the only one who thought 'The Fast and The Furious' was a comedy? …at least they still make RWD cars for those who understand the difference.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo

Performance cars are RWD or sometimes AWD, but FWD is a safety-minded invention that is silly in a performance car.
Actually, modern front-wheel drive was popularized in the U.S. primarily as a means to save weight and space. No drivetrain tunnel through the cabin equals more room for passengers and gear, meaning the overall car may be downsized without sacrificing interior room. And that's why the configuration is still in use. The traction advantage over heavier, RWD cars in inclement weather is fringe benefit.

dcb
Old 06-15-2004, 01:51 PM

a few weeks agoseveral of the Northwest SVX contingent met up at a local mall, a half-dozen or so SVXi under the lights. we managed to attract the attention of a 3g dsm who persisted in gassing up the adjoining lanes of the lot, winding it up trying to lure one of us out. we responded in the only sensible way we could: we all got in our cars and went to dinner.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 AM
After 200, it's all the same.

In case you may have forgotten, some SVX's were FWD. Are you implying that the FWD SVX fits into the category as all other FWD cars. Mind you that trying to give an excuse will only make you sound contradictory.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 06-16-2004, 02:08 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
In case you may have forgotten, some SVX's were FWD. Are you implying that the FWD SVX fits into the category as all other FWD cars. Mind you that trying to give an excuse will only make you sound contradictory.

Keith
Yes, I am saying that the FWD SVX fits into the same category as all other FWD cars. I cannot fathom buying one. If you're using it to commute daily, it's not the most fuel-efficient choice of vehicle, but it'll do the job. Just don't get any ideas about it being a performance vehicle. It will exhibit horrendous understeer under throttle, will not have the self-correcting oversteer abilities of the AWD version, and will have a slower start off the line - especially if you decide to do any engine work. I'm also rather conspicuously omitting any deficiencies that would be noticed in adverse traction conditions.

I do not understand why anyone would buy a FWD SVX only because I do not understand why the FWD version is better than the AWD version. We could quibble about fractions of a mile per gallon, or tenths of a second in the quarter mile, but the difference is negligible. I suppose some people are attracted to the car for reasons other than performance, and it does have other attractive features. Saving a few bucks by foregoing the AWD would appeal to the non-performance group, but it seems silly to spend serious money on such an expensive car and then get cheap on the one feature that really makes it better than most other cars.

I do understand that performance just doesn't appeal to some of us. That's the FWD group. Most FWD owners are content with some other brand of car, which is precisely why Subaru caters to people who are not content with FWD. You'll notice that Subaru also doesn't understand the appeal of FWD, as they no longer offer FWD as an option.

Regarding the introduction of FWD as a feature to reduce weight and increase interior space, I partly agree. At first, and possibly still today, they cost considerably more to produce than a RWD car. I believe the weight and space savings were significant factors, but there must have been a great number of other factors involved to facilitate the introduction of FWD. And yes, having weight over the front wheels does help with traction on those slippery days. It just works very unfavorably in more favorable weather. (Center of mass, inertia, balance shift, tire loading and all that.) Subaru has been producing some extremely neutral handling cars. The AWD SVX is not their finest work in that category, but the FWD version is a strong candidate for their worst example of neutral balance.

I'm comfortable contradicting myself. ...just so long as nobody notices.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:20 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Now everyone in my neighborhood is talking about it and respects the SVX lol. I hate it though, I'll be driving and cruising and some moron in a civic or integra will want to race me.
Wait til the haters start throwing coffee at it. Don't get too caught up in that immature crap.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.