Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 03:40 PM

What about a the reliability of '96 SVX or any other SVX compare to the "Z", BMW, Lex, etc?
10 excellent and 1 poor.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Why is this in the for sale forum anyway??
Old 06-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Maybe it's a case of...

Wanted.....Information?? or, maybe a BRAIN?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 06-10-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:26 PM
godspeed94

it took me 5 years to afford my dream car and I love the svx above all else. I can't afford anything else.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I can't comment about the BMW or Lexus, but my 300ZX had no problems whatsoever. I only did standard maintenance on that car and it had 120K miles when I bought it from the original owner.

Now the '96 SVX that I bought from a dealer seemed to have had a previous owner who let the maintenace slip away over the years... I've had to change the spark plugs, and my AWD transfer clutch may be broken. There could also be a slew of other problems that I'll need to fix over the next year.

If SVX's are maintained properly by their owners, these cars can be be quite reliable to the best of my knowledge... The transmission gremlins, seemed to have been fixed by the '96/'97 MY.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Sid E. Ryner
What about a the reliability of '96 SVX or any other SVX compare to the "Z", BMW, Lex, etc?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-08-2004, 09:56 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
8 or 9. seriously, it's one of the best cars I've driven or been driven in. both in stock form and as a potential platform. sure, I'd prolly take a STi over a SVX just to satisfy my power boner, but you can bet I'd be picking up an SVX as a second car pretty quickly.

It compares wonderfully against the other cars in it's segment. if the engine had AVCS, it would be an absolute monster. it's too bad they never made AVCS heads. if the EZ30 can get 250hp, imagine what the EG33 could get. it's too bad there were so few numbers that there's not much of an aftermarket.

but then again, the uniqueness is one reason I really like it.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-08-2004, 10:03 AM

Since iam onoly 17 ive only had 4 cars, but only two cars that i would call respectible it was a 87 turbo 5spd Supra, and my SVX, i would rate my SVX atthe top, ecpecialy since i did the 5spd conversion, it handles alot better, stock for stock, and its alot faster in the top end, i think it looks nicer, and it even gets better gas milage. Overa lli would give it a 9, i would give it a 10 if it had just allitle more power.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Agreed. The EZ30 made 212hp before variable valve timing and 250hp represents an increase of about 20% in power. If the EG33 had the same heads available and got similar gains, our cars would be making ~275hp, w/o any sacrifice in low end power!

We could always dream....

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
if the engine had AVCS, it would be an absolute monster. it's too bad they never made AVCS heads. if the EZ30 can get 250hp, imagine what the EG33 could get. it's too bad there were so few numbers that there's not much of an aftermarket

Old 06-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Subie Two

I would rate the SVX a 10 in it's time. Many good reasons have already been mentioned. I'm dirving my 3rd SVX. This one is a '95 with just over 50K miles. It looks brand new after nearly a decade! This car has not had a SINGLE problem! I love the handling, comfort, economy, and uniqueness. For a 13+ year design, she's aged well! ('91 concept)

On the bad side, the styling is aging by today's standards. The multi-faceted headlight enclosures, and semi translucent taillights are what dates the car the most. In other words, clear housings are the current style on new cars' lights, front and back.

I test drive most nice new cars that come out as kind of a hobby. The materials in many new cars are much better than those in the SVX, with the exception of the great psuedo suede. There are also some new nice tech gadets. I also like the alternative instrument panel lighting colors in many new cars.

Another glaring shortcoming by today's standards is horsepower. I was just unhappy when my boss bought an Accord with more hp than my baby. AN ACCORD! (My powerband and torque curve are still much more fun than his.) The new GT Legacys and Outbacks also have more power, and an available manual tranny!

The price of admission drops as this car ages, so it's still a bargain! When I look at other decade-old cars out there, there's nothing like it!
Old 06-09-2004, 08:57 PM

Even the SVX is old it still looks better that half of the cars out there. I believe once you hook up your SVX with tint, wheels, etc and I wish someone would make "cool" headlights and tail lights.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:49 PM
DearPrudence

Mine is a 10, without a doubt!

I have a crush on it.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:01 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Reliability: 4, since mine's a '92 it had the most problems and everything that can go wrong has. It didn't help that I bought it at it's hundred thousand mile anniversary. It saved all the problems for me.

Fun: 10, It's no rally car and it has a fat rear end but it will take anything you throw at it and keep on pulling you to 120+ mph.

Engine: 10, the EJ33 is a great engine, and although i've lost a water pump, an alternator, and an A/C compressor, the engine itself hasn't had any problems and it has torque through all rpms at all speeds.

Drivetrain: 4, get rid of the weak auto and get a 5-speed (like I haven't). I've also had problems with a fron axel and they say my UV joint a wheel bearings will go bad, but i choose not to listen.

Breaks: 10, they're always loud (in New Mexico) but they stop all 3600 pounds like nothing.

Interior: 9, love the leather but my seats are cracked to hell (12 years old)

Looks: 32 billion, uniquest car ever, looks like it's goung 90mph when standing still, and you feel like a starfighter pilot wherever you go.

All in all your '96 will be a great car to drive and shouldn't have NEARLY as many problems as an old '92.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 06-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Sid E. Ryner
Even the SVX is old it still looks better that half of the cars out there. I believe once you hook up your SVX with tint, wheels, etc and I wish someone would make "cool" headlights and tail lights.

he he he.... he said "hook up"... he he he (you rrrah furry dawg you...)

I give the car a 10... 13 years after it's debut it still gets looks and nods! And is more car than most new ones on the road!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-10-2004, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
he he he.... he said "hook up"... he he he (you rrrah furry dawg you...)

Old 06-10-2004, 08:29 PM

Talking

Keep it up guys! The SVX is one cool car. I wish Subaru would make something like this but better and under different name, like Toyota/Lexus. My dream Subarus are WRX Sti in black with gold rims, 2005 Legacy GTI in red and Silver Forester Turbo.