Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
horible gas milage

i have been getting really bad gas milage lately it seems i put 10.00 $ in gas, it lasts me 2 days and my work is only a few miles away.

is there anything i can check or replace. the car is in pretty top shape for maitence,, fuel filter,,airfilter/ etc etc has all been done,

i do have a lead foot some times, but this is rediculous.

is it just mine or any one else having this.

i am also aware the gas price have goneup but not too much here in florida.

any help or idea would be great.

maybe a bad egr??
Old 02-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I get 16-17mpg around town in the winter. Sucks, but what can you do?

Exactly how bad are we talking here?

A bad O2 sensor can make your car run extremely rich, and thus get horrid MPG. Maybe see if somebody can sniff your tailpipes with some emissions sensors to see if you're polluting mroe than normal.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:30 AM
alacrity024

where are you located again? if you're someplace cold, pull the belt off your AC compressor. mine BROKE off, but I started getting better mileage, so I'm leaving it until it warms up..

-adam
Old 02-24-2003, 11:55 AM

Registered SVX
if it was bad o/2 sensors wouldnt a check engine light come up with a code???

alacrity i live in florida here pretty hot. unfortinaly
Old 02-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Solar

If most of your driving is short hops, and with the aircon on, then you will never get good mileage.

Also, if your drive is not far enough for the ATF to warm up sufficient to allow the lock-up clutch to operate in 4, then you will not be getting as economical as the car can go. [This can be made worse if you are using 2 ATF coolers]

Having said all that, if you are a leadfoot, and accelerate everywhere you go, and use the brakes a lot, this is all using energy, you pay for this at the gas pump.

One thing for you to check out: troubleshooting section says if gas mileage is bad, check out the fuel pressure regulator.

Don't know if this is an inexpensive replacement part. If it was, and your miles over 100K, then replace it. These high pressure fuel pumps and components only last so long. If your fuel pressure is incorrect at the injectors, stoichimetric efficiency will be all wrong.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM
calmone

you never mentioned how many mpg you're getting, only that you put 10 bucks in and it seemed not to last. besides everything already said, the gas gauge does have a mind of it's own. fill the car up, drive a hundred miles or so and then fill it again and it may well be that the milage isn't that bad.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:15 PM
svxtremist2001

Yeah if you are just going by the gas gage you may be doing bette than you think. My gage will read anything at random pretty much no matter what. Like I will fill up to full tank then a few miles down the road **** only half a tank. But park the car come back next morning and full tank again?? Then it will read on Empty for over 100 miles some times. Only way I go by is the red light comes on then I know I have just a couple gallons left, that part is pretty accurite. Like they said though, you are doing short trips so your mileage will suck anyway.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Post Pesky Gas guage and high gas prices...

It's hard to determine if you are getting good gas mileage in the SVX due to the pesky gas gauge. Mine (and alot of others from what I hear) will be sitting on "E" then when I go to fill it up I had 4-5 gallons still left in the tank.

Plus if you are determining your gas mileage by the price you pay at the pump you will definitley not get an accurate estimate, especially with gas prices sittin at 1.90 around the Orlando area.

Right now, exactly $20.00 in gas will get you a little over half a tank here in Orlando.

Not to mention driving in Orlando, no matter the distance, it's always stop and go traffic which will definitely deplete a gas tank much faster than highway driving, especially in the SVX.

i.e. I get about 24 miles/gallon on the Interstate....and 18 miles/gallon driving around Orlando. When the Low Fuel Light comes on I have about 2 gallons left in my tank.

Tip: Reset your tripometer everytime you fill up...keep track that way. SVX's have 18.5 gallon gas tanks. You do the math.

-SVXjoe
Old 02-25-2003, 07:27 AM

Registered SVX
thanks joe

yes i need to get the exact gas mpg and u are right orlando is all stop and go traffic

svxist imgoing to check into that a bad fpr and maybe a bad egr might be a cause for bad gas milage.

and the gas needle is usless it bonces all over the place i put 10.00 in gas it barely moves it off the E mark.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:58 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
I agree with Joe also.

When checking mileage [every tank] I fill to brim at the neck, it is a known repeatable level. Obviously avoid 1G trips around corners till it goes down a bit to avoid spillage. Reset the trip meter. Whatever miles you do on the trip, divided by the gallons taken to fill next time to same level is your accurate figure. No other method works.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-25-2003, 02:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
My mileage is also pretty bad. I haven't checked it acurately but 10 - 15 would not be a bad guess. I tried to fill it yesterday but chickened out at $25 (14.5 gallons). The low fuel light came on as I reached the station but I know it was nearly full when I left. One day when I have the extra cash I will fill it all the way and measure it accurately. There are also some things I need to do once the weather warms up to improve my mileage figures.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:01 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

is it just me or the fuel guage doesnt really work right? lots of time the needle would be pointing to E but the light won't come on, and by the time i get to the gas station, the pump will stop at like 9 gallons...

i thought that the svx was going to have better milege too... but my guess is that mine is around 15-20 miles per gallon
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 02-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
i thought that the svx was going to have better milege too... but my guess is that mine is around 15-20 miles per gallon
No, that's normal. :/ AWD, heavy car, automatic, and a big 6 will do that I guess. >sigh<
Old 02-25-2003, 03:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
is it just me or the fuel guage doesnt really work right? lots of time the needle would be pointing to E but the light won't come on, and by the time i get to the gas station, the pump will stop at like 9 gallons...

My low fuel light sensor is the only thing that seems to work properly. Unless the tank is full the fuel gauge won't go above empty. Then when it does it stays above 3/4 for a bit then plumets down to empty after a few gallons are used. Very crappy situation if that is a common problem with the SVX. I just thought it was mine. I never heard of a car with such a cheesy gauge let alone such an expensive flagship model

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:21 PM
svxtremist2001

Yeah that is mine too like I said several posts ago on here but nobody reads this ****? I think it must be a common SVX problem because you are describing my car you last two guys. However, the low fuel lights is always spot on and you have a good 2+ gallons left. Just need to figure your mileage per tank and reset at every fill up. That combined with the light and you will never have to worry bout the gage. I here it is because of the saddle tank system on the SVX with the rear seats is why.