How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Re: Unexplained battery drains

Is that the click click issue? I always thought it would actually click as though it were trying to engage the starter but didn't have enough juice.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:06 PM

I'm having the same issue halistan is having. I turn the key to start. All the lights work, the fan clicks on and the antenna rises as the radio turns on. But not even a click from the starter. I few more tries, the amount varies, and the car starts as strong as ever. I've had the "click-click" issue before with other cars. This isn't that.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:23 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Try taking a voltage reading at the starter solenoid while turning the key. Probably a bad connection somewhere.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

That's a good idea. I'll give that a try. You don't think it is the ignition switch getting worn out? That's what I've always attributed it to in the past, but if not that would be good as its expensive to replace
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

UPDATE:

Okay, with the help of Master Kuo, we think we found the culprit for my battery drain issue.

It seems that the hood sensor that we installed as part of the remote start/alarm was not getting pressed down far enough. When the sensor is not pressed fully, it pulls nearly half an amp from the battery (really high but it is what it is). When it is pressed securely like its supposed to, the drain drops back down to 40-50mha

In addition, we put on another relay to replace the starter interrupt relay and the car starts up every single time now, so that's good.

However, whoever it was in one of the threads that I read that replacing the relay takes 15 minutes is on crack. That was a terrible pain in the @$$ and I hope I don't ever have to do it again.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Glad you found the culprit, Ray.

Many years ago I started having weird electrical issues with my ZR1. Seemed to happen all of a sudden to a car that was electrically flawless.

The first words out of his mouth were: "If everything was working fine and suddenly you had issues that were difficult to diagnose, think back to the last thing that you did to the car ( whether a week or a month ago)"

I then remember adding an additional 12V power outlet in the hatch area. I had made a less than secure connection which caused minor intermittent shorting.

Fixed the faulty power wire at the outlet and everything returned to normal. That is why I have become so anal about proper crimping, soldering, shrink wrap, etc.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

For another weird electrical problem I had on my polo. Read this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...per#post322733

And if you can't figure it out in the first 2-3 posts, scroll to post 15 for the answer.

A Subaru error, with a problem 10 years in the making. I would have never thought of this, and neither did the SVX Master Tech.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

Nice! Glad you finally got that resolved. It's amazing that you ever found it with something that off the wall

What seems to have happened was when we installed it, I also had a hood strut that was backwards so the hood was skewed a little. I didn't correct it then and it worked fine for some time. A month or so later, when I corrected the backwards hood-strut it shifted how high the hood sat in that corner where the hood sensor was and made it so that it wasn't fully pressed.

I saw notifications on my remote occasionally that the hood showed open, so I'd go out and press it down a little and the notice would go away (or at least I thought).

As it ended up, the sensor would come up again and start draining power again.

Glad it's fixed now though. It was very irritating