How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-02-2002, 09:41 AM
$VX

OT: DSMs/ Car Collecting

Man, if I had the cash, I'd look around for like a 1997 Mitsu Eclipse GST with all the options, in the best condition possible, with the least amount of miles. Then STORE the sucker. Ever see the price of a low mileage hemicuda lately?! Hell yeah. In 20 years those suckers are going to be worth a fortune!!!!!!!!

- Ca$h
Old 10-02-2002, 01:17 PM
I_Alcyone_I

I think a low mile SVX will be worth more in 20 years than an eclipse, at least it will be worth more to me.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:25 PM
Hater

an Eclipse??? i can't go two blocks without seeing five of them. they are WAY too common to be any kind of collectible.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-02-2002, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
a AWD eclipe/talon/laser turbo would be of value from 10 years but our svxes would be more valuable.. eclipse styling comes and goes svx is here to stay..

i think a dsm is only valuable cause its 10 year old 4g63 engine 89-99 and its AWD power plant whene it came out in the early 90s it was spanking mustangs and camoros back then.

but in general a svx wil be far more valuable, in 20 years cause theres not many around,

i am a dsm fan for its power and AWD and hp
but a svx styling uniquness AWD and flat 6cylinder never fades
Old 10-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

DSM/Car Collecting

It always kinda makes me mad when someone wants to hide a car away for future $. Car collection is a loosing proposition 99.9999% of the time. The care, upkeep and storage outways the potential profit when adjusted for inflation and the average 20 year bond return.

Yes I do think it is great to have cars that are 30+ years old but I think it is even better to have cars that are 30+ years old and are still driven like a car rather than a garage queen. Look at the British car community now. Aside from a few rubber MGBs seeing one of these beauties on the road it rarer that seeing a gold SVX these days. If the cars don't stay on the road then interest in them dies out esp. in the younger generations. How many 16 year olds want a Triumph TR6 these days? How many want a 65 Mustang? Just my 2 cents on a boring afternoon at work.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:23 PM
$VX

Are you guys nuts?!?!?! Are camaros and mustangs "RARE" cars?! Hell no. Go to a car show, you'll see 50,000 RED MUSTANGS and RED Camaros and ORANGE AND BLACK 1971 CHEVELLES and NOVAS. BLECH. None of those cars are rare, yet the coveted high performance versions are worth a ****load!!!!!!!!

SVXs I don't think will ever be worth much. :\ Hell, look at that Subaru 360 that was on ebay. Rare? DEFINITELY! Worth a lot? Nope. Most people don't want a rare car, they want a car that 80% of hte population thinks is 'cool'. Lemmings.

- Ca$h
Old 10-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Go to a car show, you'll see 50,000 RED MUSTANGS and RED Camaros and ORANGE AND BLACK 1971 CHEVELLES and NOVAS. BLECH. None of those cars are rare, yet the coveted high performance versions are worth a ****load!!!!!!!!
That is true. It's the rare ones like the Yenko Camaro and Nova's that are super expensive. I shouldn't even need to mention the AC Cobra's (non kitcar)
Old 10-02-2002, 05:04 PM
Hater

these Camaro's, Mustangs, and Chevelles are considered "classics" because of their performance AND styling. i don't see an Eclipse ever being considered a classic. cars are BAD INVESTMENTS (unless you bought a Bugatti - cheap).

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

My take on future car value...

ANY 25 year old or more four wheeled automobile if still in near showroom condition will bring in AT LEAST what it cost new. (Yes, I do understand the concept of inflation).

If this auto was considered to be "sporty" or desirable in its day,
add another 50%.

If it was a "limited production" version of "sporty", double the above, & then some for certain sought after models.

My formula makes a cherry '92 SVX worth 90K in 2017 (and yes, it's sought after, we know that already).

Of course, a Big Mac, if they haven't been outlawed by the calorie police, will cost 20 bucks in 2017, but that's another story.

SVXes - Buy'em by the six pack NOW while they're cheap!

Ron (Semi-certified financial advisor).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:53 PM

When it came time to go to college my dream car became available, a 1969 Mercedes 280 SL. At $7,000.00 I could afford it. But of course it was a decision to buy a car or go to school. I chose school and I had to live with out my dream car. That same car in good, not mint, condition will go for $20,000.00. Not a bad investment to stow away if you could afford to do so. An Eclipse..?????
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 10-02-2002, 09:32 PM
deadeye95

I dabbled in trying to buy an older Corvette for a while. Figured out that the price of a car goes up when the age group that would have died for them when they were young finally were old enough to have the disposable income to pay outrageous prices.

Was giving a co-worker crap about selling his '64 Corvette split window coupe years ago when they were now worth $25K. When you figure storage (to keep in mint condition), upkeep, and insurance for 38 years - $25K is a money losing proposition.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:56 PM

Registered SVX
Retaining Value

In the early sixties had I had the money and it was only the price of a ordinary used car at the time, I would have purchased an early thirtys Alfa Romeo Spider then for sale. Now that same car because of it's racing history has been valued in millions having been exported from NZ some time ago.

Makes one want to cry but to no avail !

A Singer Le Mans I raced at about the time is now in the hands of an enthusiast, has been restored and is quite valuable but I doubt would have been worth storing away as an investment. Everything depends on history and perception.

At the moment I have a 1971 Subaru FF1 Sports Sedan which is quite rare and has a racing history and I figure is holding its own in the investment stakes but what is more important it is still fun to drive.

All things considered I think the SVX is a good bet on the basis of keeping its value, certainly much more so than the run of the mill stuff.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-03-2002, 12:37 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
You just never know what is going to be worth how much in the future. Buy the car becuase you love it. I dont give a rats @$$ what its worth in 20 years, i know ill put way more into it then what its worth to "them" anyways.
Ive had both an SVX and an Eclipes and each has its ups and downs: some poeple liked my eclipse more and some my SVX. I persenaly cant come to terms with comparing the two. after owning both i can assure you they are two different breeds....
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 10-03-2002 at 12:40 PM.