Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 AM

Registered SVX
Re: empy din slot idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
i found one for $20
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-DVD-C...item2a22f238f1
im willing to give it a try
turns out my plan to swap top tray with bottom drink holder bit doesn't work
the arm that holds the drink up gets caught in the bottom tray
and even with tray turned upside down it gets caught pushing it back in ...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
my brother had one of those in hone of his subarus. it worked well for drinks but when mounted in the bottom you couldn't reach all the buttons on the radio.
My 97 GT-B had a factory cupholder that popped out of the dash. It was located directly above the radio and completely blocked it when the holder was in use.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Registered SVX

Darn shame about the double drawer DIN cupholder. I had a 98 Legacy GT with the pop-out cup holder and loved it. Never broke in a decade's worth of use.
I've gotten used to the 2006 Outback XT's in-line wells although a tall cup or bottle tends to get hung up on the armrest lip ( I have the JDM extended console box armrest).

When I got the SVX I despaired of how I was going to transport coffee. I could picture my elbow breaking off the console lid as I reached back for the cup. Nonetheless, I must have at least two cups of java standing by on long trips and even just heading into work it's a pain to have to put a takeout coffee tray on the passenger floormats...an accident waiting to happen.
Tried out the wedge and took it right back after a test fit because I knew it would eventually scuff up the pass seat and console.

Here is my first workable solution:

Years ago you could get this double cup holder with flat trays front & back as well as a coin stacker on the side. With molded teeth on the bottom it was meant to grip console-less hump carpet. Used it in the boat until I got gimbal mounts.
With some forethought and judicious trimming it's a fairly perfect snug fit between the shifter and e-brake handle. It only allows the shifter to pull back to DRIVE but it does put the drink cups easily to hand without contortion.
Section of back tray I left in place sorta hooks under the brake handle and the bottom & sides are padded with felt. The sides squarely straddle the console and do not contact the seat leather. It removes in seconds by lifting the front edge. Yes, it angles toward the rear but the deep cup wells - I have yet to spill a drop.

Haven't seen these in years but If you can still find one give it a shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cupholder 2 post.JPG (154.9 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg cupholder 6 post.JPG (148.1 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg cupholder 7 post.jpg (168.7 KB, 317 views)
1994 Emerald Pearl LSi w 2006 WRX 5 spd manual.
1997 Laguna Blue LSi, 46k miles (73345 Kms). One owner 25 years, always garaged, pampered and 9/10 showroom condition. Possibly the last Canadian spec Laguna ordered #100134
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Registered SVX

But wait...there's more...

As much as I like my tray and feel lucky to have stumbled across the idea, all along what I was really looking for is a small simple double cup holder I could mount in the same position without all that extra plastic bulk. Really adverse to anything that requires mutilation of OEM console or dash.

I've found this:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

Measuring 6.38inch x 3.27inch x 1.81inch tall it is more compact than what I'm using and will allow the shifter to pull all the way back It should also sit more level on that section of the console.
I expect it is molded of a flexible vinyl plastic although the chrome flip rings are probably hard styrene. If I feel these rings are too breakable I'll surround them with some rubber weatherstrip to snug them in the wells. With the flip-up rings it accommodates jumbo cups & bottles - bonus.
I have no qualms about sticking one to the console top. If my measurements are correct it will blend in as virtually original.

I've ordered two and will report back when I've had a chance to assess them.
for use in our SVXs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg double cupholder w rings.jpg (106.3 KB, 310 views)
1997 Laguna Blue LSi, 46k miles (73345 Kms). One owner 25 years, always garaged, pampered and 9/10 showroom condition. Possibly the last Canadian spec Laguna ordered #100134
Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Registered SVX

A pair of "Durable Convenient Auto Car Truck Mount Dual Drink Cup Holder Can Bottle Stand" arrived in the mail today.
They are exactly as described, cheap & cheezy manufacture but strong plus points in all the right places. Does what I need it to do - securely hold two take-out cups, pop cans or small water bottles side by side at arm's reach with minimal distraction.
Two 2.5" adhesive foam discs on the flat bottom stick to the console without damaging the surface. Allows shifter to knock back to 1rst gear position. (The foam disc pads at the bottom of the wells are sloppily applied off center and serve no useful purpose).

What is a surprise is how small those inner flip rigs are. Must have very small takeout beverage cups in the Asian countries. Inside diameter of the rings is barely 2 1/16". So the solidly molded rings are useless for North American coffees (and I will be removing them).
But, rings flipped up the large wells are 2 5/8" dia with a taper that perfectly cradles a standard paper cup or can or travel mug, so perfect that there is no danger a full cup would tip over on hard cornering.

The base adheres flat on the console without hanging over the edges and the refreshingly simple design looks good. Sure, it would be nice if they were carved from a billet of aluminum...but they're not. They could use a coat of paint or PlastiDip to match the interior and the molding inside the wells is very rough - they could benefit from a stick on rubber liner.
As is, the base is painted satin silver and the top trim is chromed plastic.

So, for ~$4.50 each delivered free to your doorstep I'm calling them a solution if your idea of commuter beverage access does not involve clamping it between your thighs or twisting sideways cracking the lid off the console cubby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doublecup front.jpg (121.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg doublecup side.jpg (170.2 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg doublecup top.jpg (148.5 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by Old Davy; 10-25-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

^ Cool idea. Doesn't really seem like it would work well with a stickshift, due to needing to use the e-brake a lot though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album