Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX
Re: next car

if i had anywhere near the money I'd import an RS5 avant sportwagon. faster than a ferrari, can still carry 5 people and tons of stuff.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Anyone who has one of those is awesome.
I was awesome until I totaled it. Then I was not awesome at all.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Registered SVX

In a perfect world where money didn't matter, it would absolutely be .... a Nissan GT-R

From the day Nissan introduced it, I always thought of it as being what an SVX would have been had Subaru not killed it, and it is today, what I regard as a natural extension of the SVX. An extraordinarily well designed, all wheel drive, 6 cylinder (ok, so its got a twin turbo) 4 passanger GT. It is in my opinion that a few years ago Nissan finally accomplished what Subaru attempted to do in 1991.

I have been considering, the "next car" question for a while now. My Outback has just rolled over 335,000 klm and while I plan on getting at least another year out of it, its something I have been thinking about, to the point where I have been test driving things.

Two weeks ago, I had an 08 Legacy 2.5 GT wagon for 45 minute a test drive. It was everything I expected it to be and I was thoroughly impressed, though a wagon version of an SVX it is NOT.

As someone who has primarily driven nothing but Subaru's for the past 7 years, I'm not sure I could drive anything that isn't Subaru. As Subaru drivers we have a tendency to take the all-wheel drive platform for granted, but when you drive something that is not a Subaru, you soon remember why you bought Subaru in the first place. Its legendary handling can't be matched.

So, to sum up, when the Outbacks time is up, my next car will be a Legacy 2.5 GT, might be a sedan but most likely a wagon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nissan-GT-R-1.jpg (234.7 KB, 110 views)
92 SVX LS-L - Teal- 254,000 KLM
04 Outback - 330,000 KLM
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Given a high-end budget I don't know what I'd buy; probably restored 60s Ford or two and a top-drawer Suby. Double my salary and I'd keep the SVXs and track down a low-mileage '06 Baja for grandkid-hauling. In reality, my next car will probably be something sensible and practical and fuel-efficient and no fun at all.

dcb
Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Saab 92-X Aero. A WRX, only with way less goofy and awkward. And you know how I love rare cars. And I'd still really like a Crossfire. Grey, and manual. Not the greatest care ever, I know, but I really like the way they look, and handle.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM

ok well if we're dreaming, but maybe in my dreams its' somewhat realistic...

R8

End of story.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
ok well if we're dreaming, but maybe in my dreams its' somewhat realistic...

R8

End of story.
The dreams should take you to a Veyron buddy (or a GT-R if you are... poor )

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Since Subaru won't build me a new AWD coupe...

I continually wonder how much a used, but good-condition, moderate-mileage but taken-care-of Porsche 996 Carrera 4 6-speed would cost.

The only other boxer-6 AWD car.

Ideally, I would go for either an R8 or a Porsche Targa 4S with the X51 Power upgrade package to 408 naturally aspirated boxer-6 horsepower.

GT-R is too ugly, even if it is very fast. Veyron is just way too much that I would never ever begin to use.

but if we are talking dream vehicles just to have to drive every great once in a while, and otherwise just keep... A Maserati Bora, McLaren F1, Ferrari 288 GTO... maybe a couple of others...

But in the midwest, I have been spoiled by AWD advantage in the winter. A G35 or a Genesis Coupe would probably be passable, but not nearly as competent in bad weather. G37x is not full-time AWD, not manual (the only thing that rasps me about the stock SVX), and even heavier than SVX was. Audi A5 is underpowered, heavy-ish, and S5 is expensive and thirsty... but I would take a look. I don't like the looks, nor the costs of an out of warranty BMW 3-series AWD.

If I could get a 996 Carrera 4 with a set of alternate snow-tire shod wheels for ~30K... I would certainly try to consider it... but that is a Porsche out of warranty... at least it looks good enough that the costs might be worth it to own a '911' variant.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
But in the midwest, I have been spoiled by AWD advantage in the winter. A G35 or a Genesis Coupe would probably be passable, but not nearly as competent in bad weather. G37x is not full-time AWD, not manual (the only thing that rasps me about the stock SVX), and even heavier than SVX was. Audi A5 is underpowered, heavy-ish, and S5 is expensive and thirsty... but I would take a look. I don't like the looks, nor the costs of an out of warranty BMW 3-series AWD.
I'm surprised the good ol' WRX or STi have not come up yet. I drove a 2002 WRX for 5 years and a 2006 STi for 4 years. Tremendously useful practical cars. Especially the WRX. They are tough, a blast to drive, pretty easy to fix, the list goes on.

The STi has a very high tech drivetrain with a computer controlled electronic center differential and non viscous mechanical limited slip diffs in the front and rear. The center diff has yaw, wheel speed and steering inputs. A completely different car under the skin than a WRX. It is a very competent car.

For the money you can't get close to an STi in performance. Plus it has 4 doors and can handle all types of weather. A perfect driver's car.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
I'm surprised the good ol' WRX or STi have not come up yet. I drove a 2002 WRX for 5 years and a 2006 STi for 4 years. Tremendously useful practical cars. Especially the WRX. They are tough, a blast to drive, pretty easy to fix, the list goes on.

The STi has a very high tech drivetrain with a computer controlled electronic center differential and non viscous mechanical limited slip diffs in the front and rear. The center diff has yaw, wheel speed and steering inputs. A completely different car under the skin than a WRX. It is a very competent car.

For the money you can't get close to an STi in performance. Plus it has 4 doors and can handle all types of weather. A perfect driver's car.
I want a coupe, though. Personally, I think the 2008-current Impreza is ugly as sin, even though I agree with you that the technical bits are fantastic.

If Subaru built a slick coupe with STI drivetrain, 3.0R Limited's slightly more civilized variant of the USD bilsteins that STI also wears, and healthy, smooth, stone-reliable H6 power... I would be in line right now.

I already have a 2005 Legacy GT that I don't really use the rear seats of.

If I had to buy another Subaru now... I would probably try to find a 2009 Legacy GT Spec.B or a 3.0R Limited, and still not use the rear doors. I wish I could get both... the EZ-H6 engine, and the Spec.B's STI-derived 6MT gearbox, and SI-drive....

I badly wish the Impreza Design Concept had been closer to reality, and they had chopped the rear doors out, and put the STI drivetrain in.

If the BL Legacy ohad offered a 2-door coupe body style, or if the Impreza Design Concept had been brought to production as a coupe, and offered that level of equipment and drivetrain combination, it would have succeeded the SVX, even without the W-in-a-W. It would have had lighter doors with frameless glass, though... which Subaru has since also ditched.

Imagine if SVX had SI-drive that could sharpen throttle response, sharpen shift-points like power-mode on automatic versions, de-boost the steering just a bit more, and stiffen the dampers a bit, on a single command input from the dashboard... A Subaru SVX with modern updates for it's extensive feature list, would be fantastic. Add DCCD All-Wheel Drive to that... and a healthy upgrade to the EZ36 engine to 300+ naturally aspirated horsepower... Where is that car? I want one.

Plus, I think after owning both a Legacy turbo, and SVX H6, I think I want my next car to have a naturally aspirated 6-cylinder engine, for reliability and lower maintenance costs sake, but I still want it to have a stick.

I don't like the looks of any of the current Subarus, and the Forester is the only vehicle that looks like it should look. All of Subaru's cars look like SUVs anymore... and the Forester is the only one that actually IS the SUV...

And of course the Forester XT is down on power, and still running the same 4-speed gearbox that the SVX was saddled with 20 years ago, no manual option, and certainly not WRX, let alone STI power.

The new Legacy GT is order-only, not in stock anywhere, and ugly, and less well equipped than the previous generation.

If I could fine a low-mileage, good condition, manual-swapped SVX... I'd love it... but I can understand the original poster's comments of wanting to worry about less continual sustaining maintenance than a 20 year old car that is 13 years out of production can require.

A manual SVX is still on my list, but it would be probably relegated to hobby status, rather than daily driver reliability requirement... and part of me wants an even more fun car, like a T-top Z32 Nissan 300ZX with a manual gearbox for a hobby car that probably won't see much snow driving... (if only I could find one of those with a butter-smooth EG33 under the very-low-hood... )

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 04-18-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
The dreams should take you to a Veyron buddy (or a GT-R if you are... poor )
LOL no doubt. A $1 million dollar car with 1k horsepower. Just disgusting.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Since Subaru won't build me a new AWD coupe...

I continually wonder how much a used, but good-condition, moderate-mileage but taken-care-of Porsche 996 Carrera 4 6-speed would cost.

The only other boxer-6 AWD car.

Ideally, I would go for either an R8 or a Porsche Targa 4S with the X51 Power upgrade package to 408 naturally aspirated boxer-6 horsepower.

GT-R is too ugly, even if it is very fast. Veyron is just way too much that I would never ever begin to use.

but if we are talking dream vehicles just to have to drive every great once in a while, and otherwise just keep... A Maserati Bora, McLaren F1, Ferrari 288 GTO... maybe a couple of others...

If I could get a 996 Carrera 4 with a set of alternate snow-tire shod wheels for ~30K... I would certainly try to consider it... but that is a Porsche out of warranty... at least it looks good enough that the costs might be worth it to own a '911' variant.
The 996 is beautiful. Agreed!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm surprised the good ol' WRX or STi have not come up yet.
Miss my post about the Saabaru 92-X? It's almost a WRX.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm surprised the good ol' WRX or STi have not come up yet.
Ahem... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...52&postcount=3

Yeah, I mentioned it on page 1 :P

Seriously, I think the 2011 STi is probably going to be the car I replace my 545i with... eventually. I think it's beautiful in hatchback form, and it's practical to boot. The local Subaru dealer just got one in and I'm afraid to go test drive it in case I leave with it

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
Ahem... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...52&postcount=3

Yeah, I mentioned it on page 1 :P

Seriously, I think the 2011 STi is probably going to be the car I replace my 545i with... eventually. I think it's beautiful in hatchback form, and it's practical to boot. The local Subaru dealer just got one in and I'm afraid to go test drive it in case I leave with it
I guess I missed it! You won't be disappointed... the stuff under the hood/skin is really only comparable in cars costing twice as much. Who cares about leather, stereos, and fancy interiors when you have guts like those found in the STi pushing you around!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: