Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Re: JDM Power switch pic or explaination plz

I have swapped the CDN/USDM Radio with the JDM Radio in my JDM car. Everything works well. The JDM OEM CD unit (with the JDM OEM CD stacker in the trunk) pluged in directly with all functions working correctly. Now my JDM has the airbag, and therefore no SW buttons so I'm not sure how they would work with the USDM Radio.

Alcyone, I do have a extra USDM Radio I could bring up to Edmonton Sunday if you would be interested in testing in your car.

Peter
Old 04-04-2009, 02:18 AM

yeah, i would love to give it a shot. just somethin to tide me over till the aftermarket takes a bit out of my wallet
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
Does anyone have (or know where to find) the part number for this whole switch assembly + mating harness? Or have one they're selling? I'd like to pick up one of these buttons and use it for my power mode mod. All I have now is a little blank plate in that spot.

I have a full parts binder for the SVX, but I think mine only covers US / Canada models, and that isn't in there.
OK, I posted this a long time ago, but I've still been unable to track this down. Anyone have any leads / ideas on this? Still trying to find one...
Old 02-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

The power switch was only ever available on JDM cars, so most of the world will be using the same parts references that you are.

In other words no English speaking market or European market will have parts reference for this particular piece of kit. If you want to buy a Japanese switch to fit your car you will need help from somebody in Japan who has access to the dealer network and can look up the part number for you.

Your best bet to get one second hand will be to get one from a scrapped [you guys call that totalled, maybe?] JDM market car. This will not be easy for you as US regulations prohibit the importation of JDM SVXes. You'll have to find a scrapped one in England or Japan.

Your next possibility would be to get one from a front cut of an SVX that came from Japan. There is an outfit on eBay called EnginesUS. They import engines from scrapped cars in Japan. They are worth a call, but may not be able to help because they import the bare engines and gearboxes which are stripped for them in Japan.

A better bet is to keep an eye to the eBay shop of RPM Garage.

RPM

Their prices seem reasonable and they pull a lot of parts.

You might also keep an eye to Australia and New Zealand. There is at least one guy breaks Japanese SVXes in New Zealand. Japanese SVXes are much more common in NZ than in Australia because of import regs.

Your options are:

eBay
England: scrap yard breaking Japanese SVXes
Japan: scrap yard breaking Japanese SVXes
New Zealand: scrap yard breaking Japanese SVXes
Australia: scrap yard importing Japanese SVX front cuts.

You will need to run Google searches and eBay searches to contact these people. Japanese SVXes are now getting rare. There is no easy way.

Hope that helps

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Your options are:
  • eBay
  • England: scrap yard breaking Japanese SVXes
  • Japan: scrap yard breaking Japanese SVXes
  • New Zealand: scrap yard breaking Japanese SVXes
  • Australia: scrap yard importing Japanese SVX front cuts

You will need to run Google searches and eBay searches to contact these people. Japanese SVXes are now getting rare. There is no easy way.

Hope that helps

Joe
I'm sorry, I forgot one other important option.

You could buy either of the other similar console switches. They all work the same way, single pole, single throw. This will widen your options. Get a European antenna switch or a manual switch and simply change the writing on the top of the switch to read "Power". Just wire it in your self.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
This will not be easy for you as US regulations prohibit the importation of JDM SVXes.
Joe
Joe - Do you know this as fact?

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Obviously Earl, from over this side of the pond I would not be as au fait with USA import regulations as I am with Irish import rules, and English and EU regs of course.

Your difficult import situation is compounded by the fact that you have two hurdles to jump, the first of these being national safety standards and customs regulations , then the second being local registration rules, which seem to vary from state to state and to have differing levels of enforcement.

Perhaps "prohibit" is incorrect use of language here, maybe "strongly discourage" to the point of making it practically impossible is closer to the reality.

To me it would appear that your customs people strongly discourage direct second hand imports as a trade protection mechanism. In the USA you have a lot of local US car manufacturers and the purpose of strongly resisting personal imports is probably to protect local automotive trade and local jobs. No doubt if you asked them the reason straight up they would deny this and trot out some "must comply with US regulations" BS but the bottom line is restricting competition.

Most of what I know about it is listed in a recent thread that has a link about a California company that used to directly import Japanese Nissan Skyline GT-Rs in the 90s. You should search for and read that whole thread and its links, very, very interesting.

It's possible IMO that as the SVX gets older it may, only may mind, get easier to import them as classic cars. We in the Network are currently doing a lot via the Register to ensure that the SVX complies with the commonly accepted definition of "Classic". Your US import situation has a very strong analogy with what import restrictions apply in Australia with the exact same underlying raison d'etre; both governments have an imperative in restricting or stopping second hand Japanese direct imports in order to protect local trade. [1]

That's a long-winded answer Earl, but I think you appreciate that this is not a situation with a simple yes or no answer. The reasons for denying citizens the right to import cars directly will be camouflaged in the rhetoric of complying with US safety legislation, while the one true core reason for making it impossible is actually trade protectionism, which is not something they will admit to due to its' being against one of the core vales of free trade:

Non-Discrimination. It has two major components: the most favoured nation (MFN) rule, and the national treatment policy. Both are embedded in the main WTO rules on goods, services, and intellectual property, but their precise scope and nature differ across these areas. The MFN rule requires that a WTO member must apply the same conditions on all trade with other WTO members, i.e. a WTO member has to grant the most favorable conditions under which it allows trade in a certain product type to all other WTO members.[34] "Grant someone a special favour and you have to do the same for all other WTO members."[35] National treatment means that imported goods should be treated no less favorably than domestically-produced goods (at least after the foreign goods have entered the market) and was introduced to tackle non-tariff barriers to trade (e.g. technical standards, security standards et al. discriminating against imported goods).

The above is from a Wiki article on the World Trade Organisation.

Joe

[1] Just for comparisons New Zealand does not have local auto manufacturing, so it's much easier to import second hand Japanese cars to NZ than to Australia. Canada and the USA, same story applies. QED.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the (very complete) answer, Joe. I have looked on NZ / AU / CA / UK ebay already, but no luck there. I tried Japan Ebay, but couldn't get through it / search it very well, due to not being able to read it.

I was able to find a European part number for a switch in that location; however, I believe this is the one that says "MANUAL" on it. If anyone's interested, the number for that one is 83243PA010, and the screws that hold it in are 045004160 (I think it requires two).

And yes, US regs prohibit importing any car not built for the US market until said car reaches at least 25 years of age. Canada has similar restrictions, but their cut-off age limit is 15 years, so there may be a few JDM SVXi rolling around there.

I will keep looking around, but I will probably go with my original plan of modifying the blank section in a hazard switch cluster to mount the button. The button I installed is all mounted and working fine, but I can't figure out how to modify the writing on the button without it looking like garbage.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Get a stencil made out of premium grade vinyl at a local sign shop. If you bring in the button they should be able to scan it to match font and size. Remove the old writing with acetone, be careful not to melt the plastic by leaving it on to long. Lay your stencil down and paint over it with 2 thin coats of thinned out white nail polish. Allow time to dry between coats, then remove vinyl. You may have to wet sand it down a little to remove any rough edges.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Thanks Joe. I understand your answer, because it is not a simple one. As usual, I will say that we need less government control, not more. As government grows, the less rights we have.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Get a stencil made out of premium grade vinyl at a local sign shop. If you bring in the button they should be able to scan it to match font and size. Remove the old writing with acetone, be careful not to melt the plastic by leaving it on to long. Lay your stencil down and paint over it with 2 thin coats of thinned out white nail polish. Allow time to dry between coats, then remove vinyl. You may have to wet sand it down a little to remove any rough edges.
The problem with this is that the lettering is on there in the reverse of what you describe. The black portion of the button is actually absent where the lettering on the buttons are, with a translucent white surface beneath it - the lettering is not painted over the top of it (if that makes any sense). I would have to scrape off enough of the black portion of the button to fit the word in there, down to the white translucent surface (did this already) and then have cutouts of the individual letters made (difficult, due to the size), place them on there and then paint over them. Once the paint was dry, I'd have to peel the sticker letters off. I'm not sure this will be possible though, due to the small size of the lettering.

A vinyl shop is a good idea though, I may call around and see if someone would be able to do something like that.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:35 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

So what you're saying is it is a white button with black paint? The letters are absent of paint in order to light up. If this is the case just do the opposite of everything I said and paint the whole button black again after doing a reverse stencil. Can you settle for a non illuminated button? Maybe use one the blanks and modify it to function like a regular button.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
So what you're saying is it is a white button with black paint? The letters are absent of paint in order to light up. If this is the case just do the opposite of everything I said and paint the whole button black again after doing a reverse stencil. Can you settle for a non illuminated button? Maybe use one the blanks and modify it to function like a regular button.
Yes, although it seems that the white portion is only under the black coating on part of the button (the general area of the text). I did want the button to light up like the others in the cluster, but it seems like that may be a bit tough to do cleanly.

I think a non-illuminated button will definitely be the easiest way to go so that it doesn't stick out and look bad, since I think a reverse stencil of the size I'd need would be pretty hard to pull off so that it looks good. So, I just spent a few minutes with one of the blank buttons and the belt sander, and it looks like it'll work great.

For anyone reading who wants to modify the blank button to be functional: In addition to taking the button "skirt" down so that the button can move, you will also have to put two notches on the underside of the button just above the hooks that hold the button onto the mechanism. There is a flat, immobile portion of the button mechanism underneath that, when the button is pushed, extends up almost all the way inside the button recess. The moving buttons have these areas cut out already (obviously) but the blanks do not. I used a dremel sidecutter bit, which worked beautifully.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
Thanks for the (very complete) answer, Joe. I have looked on NZ / AU / CA / UK ebay already, but no luck there. I tried Japan Ebay, but couldn't get through it / search it very well, due to not being able to read it.

I was able to find a European part number for a switch in that location; however, I believe this is the one that says "MANUAL" on it. If anyone's interested, the number for that one is 83243PA010, and the screws that hold it in are 045004160 (I think it requires two).

And yes, US regs prohibit importing any car not built for the US market until said car reaches at least 25 years of age. Canada has similar restrictions, but their cut-off age limit is 15 years, so there may be a few JDM SVXi rolling around there.

I will keep looking around, but I will probably go with my original plan of modifying the blank section in a hazard switch cluster to mount the button. The button I installed is all mounted and working fine, but I can't figure out how to modify the writing on the button without it looking like garbage.
You're welcome man.

Michael is not steering you wrong. Reverse stencil is how the switch was originally painted. The people who do signwriting on the sides of vehicles could do it up for you on their computer programme. They can size things big or small and select from thousands of fonts.

You might try contacting this guy Peter in NZ:

Racer4x

He's the lad who broke 3 svxes and Steve [surtees] bought door switches from him. He may possibly have the part you need.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM

I looked into what I have, there is no part number

took some snaps