Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM

CA Reintroduces Bill for ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years & older

I haven't posted here in a while, but I think this might be of interest to all of us California SVX owners and I'd like to pass it on: The idiots in Sacramento are at it once again. Trying to drive people (no pun intended) out of their older cars, so they can get new/cleaner running cars and more hybrids on the roads.

http://echo.bluehornet.com/hos...6FF9D

California Reintroduces Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older

Here we go again! Legislation (A.B. 859) has been reintroduced in the California Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones (Assemblymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 859. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee.

We Urge You to Contact Assemblyman Jones and Members of the Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 859

* A.B. 859 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

* A.B. 859 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

* A.B. 859 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

* A.B. 859 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

* A.B. 859 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

* A.B. 859 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.

Please contact members of the California Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to A.B. 859.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

Assembly Transportation Committee

Assemblymember Mike Eng – Chair
Phone: 916/319-2049
Email: Assemblymember.Eng@asm.ca.gov

Assemblymember Kevin Jeffries
Phone: 916/319-2066
Email: Assemblymember.Jeffries@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Bob Blumenfield
Phone: 916/319-2040
Email: Assemblymember.Blumenfield@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Joan Buchanan
Phone: 916/319-2015
Email: Assemblymember.Buchanan@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Connie Conway
Phone: 916/319-2034
Email: Assemblymember.Conway@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Warren Furutani
Phone: 916/319-2055
Email: Assemblymember.Furutani@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Cathleen Galgiani
Phone: 916/319-2017
Email: Assemblymember.Galgiani@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Martin Garrick
Phone: 916/319-2074
Email: Assemblymember.Garrick@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Bonnie Lowenthal
Phone: 916/319-2054
Email: Assemblymember.Lowenthal@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Jeff Miller
Phone: 916/319-2071
Email: Assemblymember.Miller@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Roger Niello
Phone: 916/319-2005
Email: Assemblymember.niello@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember John Perez
Phone: 916/319-2046
Email: Assemblymember.John.Perez@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Jose Solorio
Phone: 916/319-2069
Email: Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Tom Torlakson
Phone: 916/319-2011
Email: Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembly.ca.gov
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: CA Reintroduces Bill for ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years & older

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this is one of the obvious ways to address air pollution generated by automobiles (i.e., get the older "dirty" cars off the road). I do believe there should be a maximum yearly mileage aspect of any law put into place that would protect "vintage/collector" vehicles.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: CA Reintroduces Bill for ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years & older

GET ME OUTTA HERE!

I never even had an emissions test until I moved here. These backwards thinking control freaks have ruined what could otherwise be a very good state. IMO, bring on the global warming. The sooner we flood this cultural wasteland, the better. Just picture, High Sierra beachfront property.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Resident Filmmaker

seeing this pissed me off.

Yes, I already miss the ocean terribly and it's barely been a week, but the morons in Sac-town are ruining the whole state with those new taxes and now this...

"BMW is the pioneer of character lines?
Whatever. Take a look at my Subaru's windows
and tell me those lines don't have character.
Punk."
Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Looks and smells great.

California. You can keep it. I've never missed it yet, and it looks like I still won't have to.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Fortunately, or unfortunately, this is one of the obvious ways to address air pollution generated by automobiles (i.e., get the older "dirty" cars off the road). I do believe there should be a maximum yearly mileage aspect of any law put into place that would protect "vintage/collector" vehicles.
-Bill
I would have to think that "official vintage or classic" cars would be exempt however in the US a vehicle is only considered an antique vintage automobile after hit hits 25 years of age. The SVX has still a ways to go. I guess we may start to see some good deals coming out of Cali for a lot of cars between 15 and 25 years. Then again if you keep your car running properly there should be no issue or just wait till that place of that guy that a friend knows will pass your car for $500 or something like that.

regards

Max
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM

OK, rather than yell and scream about it, and think about leaving my home, etc. etc., I fired off an e-mail to all the legislators concerned, with a copy to the person at SEMA. I don't know what good it will do, but it is a more positive way to address the problem. If I hear anything, I will keep you all informed.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 03-13-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
OK, rather than yell and scream about it, and think about leaving my home, etc. etc., I fired off an e-mail to all the legislators concerned, with a copy to the person at SEMA. I don't know what good it will do, but it is a more positive way to address the problem. If I hear anything, I will keep you all informed.
Paul
Thank you, that was the point of my post. While we can vent our frustration here, it won't help a bit if we don't make our gripes known to our legislators. There is a link on the website where you can dispatch a single email to all members of the transportation committee.

Last edited by pleiad7; 03-14-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

My car will pass, of course. I'm just pissed about the hassle that they consistently place on the already overburdened lower class here. I consider this to be yet another tax on the folks unable to upgrade their car every couple of years. I would be driving an '07 WRX if money was falling from the sky, but being that I live in the real world where I have to work for everything I own this is not an option. If they want to make yearly inspections a mandate for all cars then I might not be as mad, it's just that they single out those who don't have the time or money to take a day off work to go sit around at a test center and the DMV.

My cars have all passed tests with flying colors (less than 50% legal limit), so this isn't going to prevent me from driving. It's only going to cost me more money to live in a place which if it were not for the work, I'd have left years ago. Why don't they place the financial burden of recovering this ruined economy in the hands of those who screwed it up, and have the means to fix it.

I will be writing Assemblyman Jones, and voicing my concerns, but as I've learned in this state money is the only thing that talks and the rest of us get to foot the bill. In the meantime, lets fire some more teachers...

Demockery inaction.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
California. You can keep it. I've never missed it yet, and it looks like I still won't have to.
This.
-----

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Ah, go out and buy yourselves some nice old motorcycles and some nice old two stroke lawn mowers... Better yet some 2 stroke Suzuki Water Buffalos! All of which will put out more emissions than your average 70s beater car with a functioning cat. That lawn mower will put out if used an hour a week all year long more bad stuff then driving a 90s Accord 12k.

I can't say I agree with the mileage limits for actually accomplishing cleaner air as you take your oldest cars on the road (which are usually owned by the elderly on very tight incomes to begin with). These cars are driven very infrequently but when they are, the drives tend to be short non warm up trips. So in reality these are the vehicles which need to be off the road, just don't tell Grandma she needs to fix her beater or get it off the road.

Cleaning up lawn mowers is cheap and easy compared to testing cars as you simply force the cost of making it onto the manufacturer. From what I've read you can cut lawn mower (and other small motored emissions) by 2/3rds for less than $30 a motor. Sure that cost would be passed onto the consumer BUT to me $30 every 5 years or so per item is a whole lot cheaper than $60 annually per car assuming you pass and in reality will clean your smoggy cities up more anyways!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

This made me think of the Smug episode of South Park.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 03-13-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Cleaning up lawn mowers is cheap and easy compared to testing cars as you simply force the cost of making it onto the manufacturer. From what I've read you can cut lawn mower (and other small motored emissions) by 2/3rds for less than $30 a motor. Sure that cost would be passed onto the consumer BUT to me $30 every 5 years or so per item is a whole lot cheaper than $60 annually per car assuming you pass and in reality will clean your smoggy cities up more anyways!
You're absolutely right... but seeing as this is California, you need to realize that, in reality, this is all about revenue generation for the state and not clean air (as our legislators want us to believe)!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Ah, go out and buy yourselves some nice old motorcycles and some nice old two stroke lawn mowers... Better yet some 2 stroke Suzuki Water Buffalos! All of which will put out more emissions than your average 70s beater car with a functioning cat. That lawn mower will put out if used an hour a week all year long more bad stuff then driving a 90s Accord 12k.

I can't say I agree with the mileage limits for actually accomplishing cleaner air as you take your oldest cars on the road (which are usually owned by the elderly on very tight incomes to begin with). These cars are driven very infrequently but when they are, the drives tend to be short non warm up trips. So in reality these are the vehicles which need to be off the road, just don't tell Grandma she needs to fix her beater or get it off the road.

Very true stuff. I know a "clean running" new lawn mower emits enough CO2 in one hour as driving a large SUV(Suburban, Excursion, etc) for a month
Old 03-14-2009, 12:49 AM
One teal and One yellow

Why California often has the toughest emission test?
Because of its population?

Three more years, all SVXi will be 15 yrs old.
How many SVXi in CA, Earl? Do you know?

If everything passes with flying color, how much it will
cost to pay for a good car inspection in California?

This state doesn't even have emission test. I can pass
my car inspection for $12.66 with tax if everything's good.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05