Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Transmission fluid change - cleaning filters

Hi guys. I'm experiencing a slight torque bind so I am taking the car to the dealer to have the transmission fluid and the differential fluids all changed. My question is: Is it easy to clean the tranny filter and the magnetic tranny filter or does it involve major disassembly of the tranny to get at these filters. The service guy thought it involved major disassembly but I thought I read on here that it was simple....
Any quick comments before this morning's visit to the dealer would be appreciated.
Thanks
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission fluid change - cleaning filters

na 20 bolts on the pan then 4 bolt on the filter

just be careful on removing the little pipe the goes over the filter takes some wilgeling to get it out but not to hard.

don't forget some sealent on the pan gasket its the pits when it leaks
Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

Ok back from the dealer and, as expected, there is a list of things they are recommending. They have recommended some of these in the past but I thought I would get your ideas before proceeding with any of these.

1) Both outer axle boots need replacing. $400.00 parts and labour. I plan to go ahead with this repair because it is good preventive maintenance as winter approaches.

2) Transfer clutches binding on turns (This is the reason I brought it in.) (replace drop tranny) $1,200. I'm not convinced this needs to be done. I have had success with my Legacy by replacing the tranny fluid three times over the course of a couple months and using tranny additive.

3) Rear Separator Plate and Crank Seal Leak. $1000 (drop tranny) I'm not anxious to do this repair either. If I had a nice driveway I would worry about it but I don't care about the odd leak on the very old cracked ashphalt.

Your expert comments appreciated.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Tranny Filter Replacement from how to docs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trans Filter Replacement.pdf (401.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 11-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
Ok back from the dealer and, as expected, there is a list of things they are recommending. They have recommended some of these in the past but I thought I would get your ideas before proceeding with any of these.

1) Both outer axle boots need replacing. $400.00 parts and labour. I plan to go ahead with this repair because it is good preventive maintenance as winter approaches.

2) Transfer clutches binding on turns (This is the reason I brought it in.) (replace drop tranny) $1,200. I'm not convinced this needs to be done. I have had success with my Legacy by replacing the tranny fluid three times over the course of a couple months and using tranny additive.

3) Rear Separator Plate and Crank Seal Leak. $1000 (drop tranny) I'm not anxious to do this repair either. If I had a nice driveway I would worry about it but I don't care about the odd leak on the very old cracked ashphalt.

Your expert comments appreciated.
I would probably balk at the "drop tranny" big bucks 2 times.

My suggeston would be maybe do both things on one drop tranny. Most anyone would think of this except some shops. (Tacoma Subaru for one)
Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 AM

NON-expert suggestions:

If you're going to replace the CV joint boots, and plan on keeping the car for awhile, go ahead and have the complete axle assemblies replaced. The labor's almost the same. And try to find a good independent mechanic for a better deal.

If by chance your transmission also has a hard 1-2 shift and/or goes hunting between 3 and 4, could be replacing the throttle position sensor would solve these AND the minor binding. I wouldn't be optimistic about a fluid or filter change truly solving this problem.

dcb
Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

Thanks dcb: I have had success with my legacy that was binding by changing the tranny fluid three times over the course of about two months and adding tranny conditioners.
I've told them to go ahead with the boots. I'd like to get them done before winter to keep the crud out....