Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
line pressure can be increased to 100% by disconnecting the resistor to the duty solenoid A. But without reprogramming the ECU/TCU this is about as far as you can get along the lines of an add-on. A modified valve body will sharpen up those shifts better than anything else and tapping into the TCU to reduce shift time would help as well. Besides that I see no room for any real improvement. But this is the problem with "secret" projects as no one knows. It is good marketing to leave people in the dark of what they are signing up for as it boasts interest and curiosity but for those who actually care what they are putting on their car... It needs to make sense first.

Tom
Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Please don't take me as a naysayer, but I tend to agree with YT.

I want this to work, badly, but I don't understand how, what is basically a piggyback, can do much more than what Smallcar's kit does. Without getting to the heart of the tranny's controls, IE the TCU, dramatic changes are difficult.

That said, I'm reserving judgement, until I see the prototype & hear a basic breakdown of it's function.

Add to that, if you get a nice reflash for the TCU I still can't use it, as my '96 is OBDII
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Um

Anyone thought of a Level 10 shift kit? How would this new kit shift any faster than that? Only the valve body need to be modified. No changes are necessary in the ECU. I thought I proved that.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace928 View Post
The kit is going to be installed on my car by budfreak, hopefully sometime this week. I am going to have my car put on a dyno before and after the kit is installed. I'll post up the results once everything is tested.
What do you expect to see on a dyno? How a transmission shifts has nothing to do with HP/torque numbers.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
line pressure can be increased to 100% by disconnecting the resistor to the duty solenoid A. But without reprogramming the ECU/TCU this is about as far as you can get along the lines of an add-on. A modified valve body will sharpen up those shifts better than anything else and tapping into the TCU to reduce shift time would help as well. Besides that I see no room for any real improvement. But this is the problem with "secret" projects as no one knows. It is good marketing to leave people in the dark of what they are signing up for as it boasts interest and curiosity but for those who actually care what they are putting on their car... It needs to make sense first.

Tom
does disconnecting the resistor harm anything?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
does disconnecting the resistor harm anything?
You lose third gear. And it felt way too...juttery to me.

(By 'lose third gear' I mean that when you put the shifter in '3', the transmission won't do diddly)
Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
You lose third gear. And it felt way too...juttery to me.

(By 'lose third gear' I mean that when you put the shifter in '3', the transmission won't do diddly)
What??? Never experienced that. It hunts for gears on decel in 3rd but thats it... The car does feel jittery though

Tom
Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
What??? Never experienced that. It hunts for gears on decel in 3rd but thats it... The car does feel jittery though

Tom
That's what I mean. Coast down a hill, drop shifter to '3', laugh as the tach drops to 1k then bumps back up then drops...etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
That's what I mean. Coast down a hill, drop shifter to '3', laugh as the tach drops to 1k then bumps back up then drops...etc.
Ah... I gotcha

Tom
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
What do you expect to see on a dyno? How a transmission shifts has nothing to do with HP/torque numbers.
Have you ever seen a before and after dyno plot of a car going through 1-2 and 2-3 with a shift kit installed? The 'snap' you feel is hp/torque that was not there before. It is 'plottable' on a dyno. The delay you feel stock will show as a hp/torque dip on the dyno graph. The snap will show as a hp/torque spike (gain). If you were to plot the points a the beginning of a shift and after a shift has been completed vs time, the gains in between these seconds can add up on a road course.
***R.I.P***
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Have you ever seen a before and after dyno plot of a car going through 1-2 and 2-3 with a shift kit installed? The 'snap' you feel is hp/torque that was not there before. It is 'plottable' on a dyno. The delay you feel stock will show as a hp/torque dip on the dyno graph. The snap will show as a hp/torque spike (gain). If you were to plot the points a the beginning of a shift and after a shift has been completed vs time, the gains in between these seconds can add up on a road course.
This what I was hoping to see.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Kinda like the difference between granny shifting and slap shifting a manual trans. You don't gain any actual hp/tq from the engine, you just apply available hp/tq more affectively. Who gets down the 1/4 faster, the granny shifter or the slap shifter?

Be interesting to see what this ubersecret contraption is....more interesting to see how much it will cost.

Doesn't the level 1 chip do the same thing but actually affect engine performance and increase available hp/tq at the bottom end?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball View Post
Kinda like the difference between granny shifting and slap shifting a manual trans. You don't gain any actual hp/tq from the engine, you just apply available hp/tq more affectively. Who gets down the 1/4 faster, the granny shifter or the slap shifter?

Be interesting to see what this ubersecret contraption is....more interesting to see how much it will cost.

Doesn't the level 1 chip do the same thing but actually affect engine performance and increase available hp/tq at the bottom end?
The difference is that the ECUtune Stage 1 chip fits into the ROM slot on your ECU. There is no such slot on a TCU stock; you have to remove the TCU, solder in your own slot, and then desolder the stock ROM. Not exactly something everyone would be willing to do. So with that in mind, the shift kit must be external to the TCU.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Mr. Inappropriate

Quote:
The difference is that the ECUtune Stage 1 chip fits into the ROM slot on your ECU. There is no such slot on a TCU stock; you have to remove the TCU, solder in your own slot, and then desolder the stock ROM. Not exactly something everyone would be willing to do. So with that in mind, the shift kit must be external to the TCU.
Just going on what I've read that the stage 1 fixes/reduces the laggy shifts. I have no personal experience to confirm this. Point being, we all want to get rid of the laggy shifts, if the stage 1 does it and adds hp/tq, it would seem the better way to go. Then again, if the ubersecret shift kit comes in at an attractive price, it may be more economical. Then again, the smallcar kit works at a reasonable price...does it really matter how you get from point a to b...as long as you get there?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

***Deleted***
***R.I.P***