Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Finally a Subar 6 disc for the anal- no cutting required

Put my wife's 03 Legacy GT 2 din 6 disc into the SVX today (no wiring yet as I still need the harness adaptors) but it fits pefectly. No hack job needed for the front door so you have clearance around the knobs. Best part is it is a very basic looking system 1 knob only which is dead center on the drivers side, 6 disc changer, green colored with black background display. Even has a Weather band radio on it.

As I said it isn't wired up yet but the only real trouble I see is an adaptor so you can have 2 antennas like the SVX has (you need a 1 foot extension like for the WRX anyways so you'll at least have to buy that). Also, the dimmer for this radio is done through the volume control button so I don't know if the dimmer control switch on the stalk will work or not.

Now for the bad, as I said the radio came out of my wife's leg gt. It was the 2nd radio in there as the first one was dead from factory. This one went at 23k. Took it out and replaced it with the same radio I got from ebay after 6 weeks of looking (they are kind of rare and I didn't have a part number prior to yanking it). A friend found the problem and fixed it. Bent metal in the housing or something like that. Just an FYI for reliability. Here's the part number 86201AE36A, Matsu****a (I think it is just an 03 GT and LSI radio but not positive).

Will post pics when I get around to getting a harness and put it in.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
shouldn't you be fixing the 5 spd in the RaceCar?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
-Bill
yeah really!!! its due to make an appearance at OT's end of october

Tom
Old 09-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
-Bill
Shouldn't you be coming up with an excuse for missing the next meet? Broken or not at least the racer shows up (and still runs laps around ya!) Remember, we don't have a seat for the racer at the moment. Need to finish the cage first.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
cant wait to see the pics! I dont like how the bottom knobs require the modifcation of the cover either.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Shouldn't you be coming up with an excuse for missing the next meet? Broken or not at least the racer shows up (and still runs laps around ya!) Remember, we don't have a seat for the racer at the moment. Need to finish the cage first.
Finish the cage? Damn, boy, last time you posted pics (couple of months ago) it looked like it was done (then again, maybe you damaged Dave's retinas when he took the pics). Know anyone with a diesel F250 who wants to sell it at a reasonable price (need something to tow the 'rex II with).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Finish the cage? Damn, boy, last time you posted pics (couple of months ago) it looked like it was done (then again, maybe you damaged Dave's retinas when he took the pics). Know anyone with a diesel F250 who wants to sell it at a reasonable price (need something to tow the 'rex II with).
-Bill

I wouldn't go Diesel at all, just a simple rwd f-250 will work just fine. Mine get 10-15mpg towing or not. 15mpg all the way to FL. Diesel isn't much better than that. Paid $4200 for it with 90k. The powerstroke tends to die around 150k anyways from what I've heard.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
bill, wanna buy my 2wd Yukon?? a simple brake upgrade and she would haul a full size trailer pretty well

Tom
Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Put my wife's 03 Legacy GT 2 din 6 disc into the SVX today (no wiring yet as I still need the harness adaptors)
Sorry, I received your e-mail but it looks like Yahoo may have lost my reply. I tried again today.

Quote:
but the only real trouble I see is an adaptor so you can have 2 antennas like the SVX has
I don't recommend doing that. You'll get better reception using just the SVX's motorized antenna than if you try to use a Y-adapter to combine the car's two antennas.

Quote:
Also, the dimmer for this radio is done through the volume control button so I don't know if the dimmer control switch on the stalk will work or not.
How does that work? Is that a temporary dimness cancellation, like in the SVX?

The SVX's "bright" button won't work — the other Subaru radios don't have a pin for it. However, the normal brightness control (via the SVX's dimmer knob) will work.

Quote:
Can't wait to see them!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post

How does that work? Is that a temporary dimness cancellation, like in the SVX?
No its like the SVX, you simply push in the volume button and hold it in for 3 seconds.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Well the Cd changer is in. Want to thank SVXdc (just as everybody else seems to) for his excellent product, and excellent service esp. considering he's loosing money on his work!

It sounds great, no cutting of the door trim was needed. Opens and shuts 100%, all buttons are accessable and the dimmer feature on the changer still works. It isn't the same as the SVX one and doesn't work via the stalk but when driving in the daytime with your headlights on you can push the volume button in, hold it for 4 seconds and the display lights will brighten so you can see 'em.

Here's the pics!

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...b/SVX%20radio/
Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ben,
Looks great! How does it sound with the stock speakers? Shame it doesn't have an aux jack in the front that you could hook an mp3 player into.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 PM

Sounds better than the stock system sounds although I do have replacement rear speakers as I sliced one while changing my rear struts for the 4th time in a year. They probably aren't much better than the stock speakers were though anyways. I'm no audiophile in the least but that much I can tell. Yeah the MP3 jack would be nice, now that I've started to go that direction for the bike. No skipping cds plus fits into any pocket!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Now for the bad, as I said the radio came out of my wife's leg gt. It was the 2nd radio in there as the first one was dead from factory. This one went at 23k. Took it out and replaced it with the same radio I got from ebay after 6 weeks of looking (they are kind of rare and I didn't have a part number prior to yanking it). A friend found the problem and fixed it. Bent metal in the housing or something like that. Just an FYI for reliability. Here's the part number 86201AE36A, Matsu****a (I think it is just an 03 GT and LSI radio but not positive).

I just bought this same radio on ebay last week and plan to put it in this weekend (now that I have David's adapters.) Do you have any other particulars on the "fix"? What was the original problem that "bending metal" fixed? If it happens to me I'd like to have the answer ready so I can fix it.

Thanks!

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles
Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMSVX View Post
I just bought this same radio on ebay last week and plan to put it in this weekend (now that I have David's adapters.) Do you have any other particulars on the "fix"? What was the original problem that "bending metal" fixed? If it happens to me I'd like to have the answer ready so I can fix it.

Thanks!
Not a clue as a friend of a friend fixed it. Will try to find out for ya.