Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
My father-in-law had a '99 Passat V-6 automatic sedan that he bought new. Terrible car with many problems.
ohh yeah, thats right.

took VW a little bit to sort out some issues too
ignition systems, headlights hazed up like the svx only worse, interior was not put together as well as later on.

and on the nav comment, that is true the navigation is a little stupid
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback. I wanted a vehicle that was within price range without a major payment nightmare. Tonight I believe I succeeded, however I did not trade in any of my svx’s as well if anyone has tried that understands that is not the thing to even consider. So, I aim to sell my 94 pearlie. I purchased a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4. I will send a picture soon. It is perfect for the season that is coming up and I can keep the 95 salt less. I am excited, yet nervous because I have seen paint easily faded on these things. This one has a custom paint job and a lot of custom parts as well. It’s a four door like I needed with the bonus 4X4 as I wanted but could not believe I could fine one of worth in my price range.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned
Old 09-21-2007, 10:38 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
My beetle has about 64K on the clock. The interior is falling apart, the gas gauge is off by a lot, and the transmission sometimes slams into 2nd gear.

Other than that the car runs great mechanically. Fit and finish is pretty impressive. The door feels solid when it slams shut and the handling is pretty impressive, although not as good as the svx in cornering (obviously). The 4 speed auto is geared so low that I'm turning 3000rpm at 60 mph and about 3800 at 70. Acceleration is decent but my gas mileage suffers. I get roughly 24 mpg in mixed driving, which isn't terrible, but for such a small car I thought it would get more.

Would I own it if i had to pay for it? probably not. Pretty much everything in the owner's maintenance manual recommends taking it into "an authorized vw repair center" from changing lightbulbs to oil and doesn't really give to good of info. So far I haven't had electrical problems though.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Easy choice, get a 95-98 Legacy GT. Make sure the color matches your SVX, then, tell everyone you bought it because it was the SVX's brother/sister.

The cars share much of the same design/engineering DNA. I LOVE my 97 Legacy LSi. It's smooth, quiet, & actually quite peppy. I was actually able to hang with a well driven 350Z on The Dragon.

Power, speed, luxury, sounds like an SVX with 4 doors huh?

OH & lest we forget, They can be had for fairly cheap.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:40 AM
A mom with style ;-)

Thanks, you mentioned something I had not even factored into brain. ;-) I live in Amish country and honestly an suv or a nice 4x4 truck would work. I do not want big car payments. I must sell one of my cars and cross my fingers I can sell it in 30 days so I can use the plates on the Durango. Along with a 4X4 it also is a four door and can still have six passengers.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 09-22-2007, 11:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
I can say one thing... German and Italian cars are perfect cars to own if you want a true drivers/enthusiastics cars... while some german models are not good, but most of the Italian models are of the same type. If you are more mechanically minded and dont mind getting your hands dirty and have a good service manual, I wouldnt mind to own any of the european cars(except french ). It gives you much more satisfaction/thrilling when you get the max fun out of them. Most of the electrical problems that you see in many european cars is mainly due to their outsourcing of those parts to china, this started from early 90s while japanese dont have this problem. Seems like german companies have recognised this lately (atleast MB has) and are taking steps to rectify these things.

Unlike that, if you want to have a automobile that takes you from place to place, then go for any japanese cars. They are reliable, but at the end it will be just a car (and I am not saying its bad).

It all depends on what one likes and what he/she wants. This is just my view. At any time I would take Italain over all the three or german among german and japanese (unless its a Subaru, Yep, thats correct ). But I am not sure what happens in the following years... check this article.. "Subaru is still expected to supply a technical team to Toyota for the development of a new model.". Dunno where subaru is goin with this.....

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 09-22-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
I too had to get rid of one of my svx's. It was quite sad. I miss it, but I traded with someone not too far away evenly for a Nissan Maxima. He got the better deal I think, but I do love the maxima. Its a 5spd SE. I needed a 4door with lots of trunk space and it serves its purpose very well.
Good luck with the sale of your SVX, and good luck with the dodge.
My luck with dodge has not been the best, I bought an 03 neon and it is sitting in the yard with a blown transmission. However, it got 113k miles before it blew and it was the only big thing that has gone wrong (except the radiator split a long time ago). And If you are handy or have a husband who is, parts are very cheap and easy to find for dodge.
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd
Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace928 View Post
I too had to get rid of one of my svx's. It was quite sad. I miss it, but I traded with someone not too far away evenly for a Nissan Maxima. He got the better deal I think, but I do love the maxima. Its a 5spd SE. I needed a 4door with lots of trunk space and it serves its purpose very well.
Good luck with the sale of your SVX, and good luck with the dodge.
My luck with dodge has not been the best, I bought an 03 neon and it is sitting in the yard with a blown transmission. However, it got 113k miles before it blew and it was the only big thing that has gone wrong (except the radiator split a long time ago). And If you are handy or have a husband who is, parts are very cheap and easy to find for dodge.
Thanks,

Well, this Durango is so much fun to drive. I really had missed my 1994 suv and am so thrilled to sit behind the wheel of another one. The big issue I see is that I can see rust areas under the paint as it is surface rust. The paint job was customized with a red hot chilli pepper and a light metallic silverfish purple flames. This suv is a looker. I like that I can crawl underneath this vehicle and not have to worry about touching anything.

I am so excited to have this thing. I just would like to cut the payment down a bit. I hope I aim to sell the 95 L (awd). This is the best one I have and the pearlie I am so attached too even if it does have rust holes. I just love this car. How is your polo green svx running these days?

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 09-22-2007, 07:55 PM

I realize you made your choice already but I found this to be a good read:

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/aut...ble/index.html

VW Jetta, Passat, Touareg ranked Least Reliable in their classes.

Anyone know how reliable an article like this done by Consumer Reports would be? I know they do soo many ratings on thousands of electronics tvs etc..
Old 09-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion View Post

Anyone know how reliable an article like this done by Consumer Reports would be? I know they do soo many ratings on thousands of electronics tvs etc..
Many people consider consumer reports as a non-biased, non-profit organization, but for me I go whatever I think gud to me and which I like.... thats it . If everyone considers those strictly then there wont be any other cars on road except Hondas and Toyotas....

-Pavan.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:47 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion View Post

Thanks,

I use this as a source but had not even thought about it as my children are older now. Not sure why I stopped getting the magazines. Well, I guess I never thought I would be buying cars like I am. I just wanted to say thanks. I am glad I found what I did, when I did. Winter will be here soon enough.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzsvx View Post
Thanks,

Well, this Durango is so much fun to drive. I really had missed my 1994 suv and am so thrilled to sit behind the wheel of another one. The big issue I see is that I can see rust areas under the paint as it is surface rust. The paint job was customized with a red hot chilli pepper and a light metallic silverfish purple flames. This suv is a looker. I like that I can crawl underneath this vehicle and not have to worry about touching anything.

I am so excited to have this thing. I just would like to cut the payment down a bit. I hope I aim to sell the 95 L (awd). This is the best one I have and the pearlie I am so attached too even if it does have rust holes. I just love this car. How is your polo green svx running these days?

I have a teal. She is running great, my daily driver and the love of my life.
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd
Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I've driven both a turbo passat and a v6 passat.
I like them until you have to turn fast or hard. Then they are scary.
They do have nice brakes.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: