IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
any impreza 2.5 rs owners here?

I'm in the market for a daily driver, something cheap. Just wondering if you have one and what are your impressions. Mainly praticality, maintenance, performance, fuel consumption, insurance costs oh and what years they were available. From what I have found it's 98-01in the style I was looking for. I'm not a big fan of subarus other that the svx but next to an xt-6 this is something I may like but not enough to start getting obsessed with and the xts seem a little too rare to keep on the road without getting involved. I basicly want to put gas in it and change the oil. Thanks for the help and if you only feel like dropping a link that is appreciated too.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Thumbs up

I've got a 2000 RS2.5 w/ 135k miles that is my daily driver. I like it a lot for what it is.

Compared to the SVX it is incredibly simple and it is easy to work on. It gets fair mileage depending on how much you flog it. No big issues so far in about 15k miles that I"ve had it, just regular maintenance stuff. If you want a daily driver w/o having to mess with it, it is the way to go. I owned an XT and it was ok, but at 20 years old and even older technology, it took a lot more TLC to keep it happy.

You're right that they were made from 98-01. The earlier DOHC engines are not as good for reliability (head gasket issues) as the later SOHC versions like mine. I don't know the year of the switchover, but it was SOHC in 2000-2001 for sure.

It's no luxury cruiser like the SVX, but it is great around town with the torque of the 2.5 and a 5MT. It is hard to compare it to the SVX as they are designed with totally different purposes.

Parts are easy to come by as it shares the same engine/chassis as the Forester.

The RS models sell for a lot more than the regular ones with the 2.2, but you can dress them up the same if you like.

Lots of info here: rs25.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I'm in the market for a daily driver, something cheap. Just wondering if you have one and what are your impressions. Mainly praticality, maintenance, performance, fuel consumption, insurance costs oh and what years they were available. From what I have found it's 98-01in the style I was looking for. I'm not a big fan of subarus other that the svx but next to an xt-6 this is something I may like but not enough to start getting obsessed with and the xts seem a little too rare to keep on the road without getting involved. I basicly want to put gas in it and change the oil. Thanks for the help and if you only feel like dropping a link that is appreciated too.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com

Last edited by Stevebsy; 09-07-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
If you're under 25, be prepared to eat a lot of insurance on it. Impreza insurance is expensive for us younger folks.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
the first gen SOHC 2.5s are more known for head gasket problems than the DOHC, the DOHC is better in that respect; the second gen 2.5 (phase II) is better for not popping head gaskets, but according to the master tech @ work, the problem is more the head gasket + customers not taking care of their cooling system... So basically if you keep on top of coolant changes you're pretty much ok, and if it does pop, or if it's popped in the past, and the HG is replaced with the newer formulation gasket, it won't pop again unless you overheat the snot out of it, in which case most head gaskets will fail anyway.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 09-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Quote:
I'm in the market for a daily driver, something cheap.
The 2.5 isn't going to be your car then. I looked into them for a while. I want one BAD, more than I wanted an SVX. But I got the SVX for half the price of an RS, so I couldn't turn it down.

They are great for what they are, but they really are nothing more than a econo-box with some pep. However, they hold their value incredibly well, which is why I'm saying they're not cheap. Considering their purchase price, and the fact that they're just a 4-door Subaru Impreza, albeit a glorified one, they're crazy.

My father used to own a Black on gold when they first came out. Still have custom made BBS rims in the basement for it. I loved that car. But when I saw the prices they go for (Even KBB value is absurdly high) I learned I could get ALOT more car for the money.

Just my $.02.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 09-08-2007, 07:05 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Yeah. Pre 2002? 2.5RS's have an insane amount of private value. For what reason? I have no idea. They aren't fast and they aren't that loaded. Heck, cruise control was an option on them.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It's because they're the last good looking impreza

But yes, they are spendy for what they are. Like I said, you'd be just as good to buy a 2.2 model or outback version and dress it up. The 2.2 in an Impreza is pretty decent too. The 1.8 not as much, but it is very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Yeah. Pre 2002? 2.5RS's have an insane amount of private value. For what reason? I have no idea. They aren't fast and they aren't that loaded. Heck, cruise control was an option on them.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
I owned a 1999 2.2L, I bought it new in 1999. It was a great ride, not as comfortable as my SVX but it was a heck of a lot better than the other small 4cyl options that were out there. I traded a 1990 Legacy for the Impreza. The Legacy was very durable I put over 200,000 miles on it in 9 years. If you could find a low mileage 1st generation Legacy, you would have a low cost dependable car, not much style but peppy and affordable.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Help with new daily driver

Quote:
It's because they're the last good looking impreza
This is so true! I would like to be smart this time around, so I'm asking for your suggestions.

Here are some I am considering:

94-99 celica
93-95 golf III
92-96 prelude
95-99 eclipse
95-98 nissan 240sx
93-97 mx-6

any input? Think low maintenance, fuel mileage, insurance, reliability all that boring stuff.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Quote:
95-98 nissan 240sx
RWD!!! The rest of the stuff isn't as important.

Unless you get an older celica and get the AWD model.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 09-08-2007, 02:08 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
RWD!!! The rest of the stuff isn't as important.

Unless you get an older celica and get the AWD model.
I concer the Celica GT-4 or just get the Impreza. The rest will go right off the road and the insurace and other cost is not what you are looking for. I also agree on getting a 2.2 Impreza. I have a 97 OBS and well that's actually my prefered drive cause of the options and cost/zip ratios. Insurance is low. You can swap and do a 2.5 block conversion for under 1500 and get a real fire cracker.
See here. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1159632
This kinda stuff is why I'm huting down 2-3 Imprezas for friends.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 09-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Dude, you can totally by my Celica All-Trac!! But...I need to find an SVX to buy .
Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
I was looking for something under $2000. This car would probably be purchased at the auction and I don't even know if I can be there. What year impreza would I be looking at for a 2.0 or 2.2? I don't want to register to a forum just to ask a few Q's then never post, seems like a pain for the admins. I know the AWD and trans is problematic for the SVX but what about the imprezas? I read that they came in a 2WD would this be advisable to avoid costly repairs? I don't mind FWD too badly as I have an 84 rabbit currently and with good snow tires it goes where some SUVs won't.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
I was looking for something under $2000. This car would probably be purchased at the auction and I don't even know if I can be there. What year impreza would I be looking at for a 2.0 or 2.2? I don't want to register to a forum just to ask a few Q's then never post, seems like a pain for the admins. I know the AWD and trans is problematic for the SVX but what about the imprezas? I read that they came in a 2WD would this be advisable to avoid costly repairs? I don't mind FWD too badly as I have an 84 rabbit currently and with good snow tires it goes where some SUVs won't.
You will not find an RS for under $2000. Actually, I don't think you'll find any of those cars on your list for anywhere close to $2000 (with the exception being maybe the MX6).

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-09-2007, 01:58 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
I thought the 2.0-2.2 impreza wasn't an RS. I'm sure there are regular imprezas to be had for $2000, especially going back as far as 93.