Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: OBDII Mt conversion???

Its is a communication that is run by pulse width. It is intelligent and transmits more than just an "all clear". Duping it is not possible. The only way around it is to get someone to rewrite the stock engine ECU to not look for the TCU on the datalink

Tom
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

So is there a way we could leave the TCU in the car, run dummy signals to it, and allow the TCU/ECU link to remain intact?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Maniac modifier

you could try, but the missing inputs from the trans will likely cause a CEL... but anything is possible

Tom
Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I'm working on that too actually, I need to pull the firmware from the ECU of my 97 and send it to LAN, and see if it can be flashed with the ECUtuner cable.

If I had to deal with the kind of inspection crap that you guys do, I'd just change the vin over to a 92 or something and call it done.
Any luck with this or in building another jumper harness for me?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Its is a communication that is run by pulse width. It is intelligent and transmits more than just an "all clear". Duping it is not possible. The only way around it is to get someone to rewrite the stock engine ECU to not look for the TCU on the datalink

Tom
Nothing is impossible. It may be unrealistically difficult but not impossible.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Maniac modifier

Nevermind... its clearly out of your grasp as to what a datalink is and what it is used for... spend all of your free time trying to duplicate something you are not comprehending

Tom
Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Nevermind... its clearly out of your grasp as to what a datalink is and what it is used for... spend all of your free time trying to duplicate something you are not comprehending

Tom
I don't know which part of this is the funniest. And all that from saying nothing is impossible. Wow. Someone needs more fiber in their diet.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
Please help me understand what type of signal this is. What is the TCU spitting out and what is the ECU expecting to see? I will be the first to admit that I am quite ignorant about the SVX, but it just doesn't seem like this is an impossible challenge.

You have said this is impossible at least three times in this thread, but I have not read WHY it is this way.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but you know why this is and I don't. Please educate me.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Maniac modifier

Husky just wants the last word in any discussion which is typical for a child.

Im not saying i know what is broadcasted on the link... i just know what datalinls in cars are used for in more modern vehicles. They broadcast system status and can also broadcast parameter readings like tps. It may just be an all clear the tcm is putting out but more than likely the status request must be recieved from the engine ecu. Its a two way street.

Tom
Old 08-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Maniac modifier

Not to mention unless you have access and knowledge of how to use an o scope, you cant see the signals.

Tom
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Not to mention unless you have access and knowledge of how to use an o scope, you cant see the signals.

Tom
That is the smart thing to do. The way I see it is the system links all the units so that only the ECU will report on all the units problems.
It calls all the units incluiding the TCU for a report on any codes, the TCU then sends back a reply on its condition. The signal that is used would be a data message.

So to find what is being sent, just check what is on the line with an oscilloscope when the key is first turned on, as that is when the ECU requests the reply.

I found that the 97 sends this signal at key on, and was catching the "Quick Change" charging up a filtering capacitor.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
Tom, I recently spoke to Husky and not only does he know how an oscillascope operates, he owns one.
Just sayin...
I think that the last time that I operated an osscillascope was in 1974, sigh...
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Tom, I recently spoke to Husky and not only does he know how an oscillascope operates, he owns one.
Just sayin...
I think that the last time that I operated an osscillascope was in 1974, sigh...
Great! why hasn't it been done yet?

Tom
Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
That is the smart thing to do. The way I see it is the system links all the units so that only the ECU will report on all the units problems.
It calls all the units incluiding the TCU for a report on any codes, the TCU then sends back a reply on its condition. The signal that is used would be a data message.

So to find what is being sent, just check what is on the line with an oscilloscope when the key is first turned on, as that is when the ECU requests the reply.

I found that the 97 sends this signal at key on, and was catching the "Quick Change" charging up a filtering capacitor.

Harvey.

Yes Key on is when the vehicle does an overall system readiness test. But system status is monitored throughout the ignition cycles and during "drive cycles" Drive cycles don't always have anything to do with key on but also relate to fuel used, heat cycles, hours running, and mileage. So it is an interactive process throughout the course of driving the vehicle.

In more modern vehicles you will find if an ecm is not programmed for the correct vin it will cause issue along the link. It is not something you can tamper with easily. Without all the manufacturers info about what is being broadcasted on the link, I find it "extremely unlikely" (not saying impossible in fear of a toddler's rage) that you will be able to reproduce any signal for the engine ECU to receive that will satisfy the communication.

Finding a good OBDII ECM writer who can take out the request from any TCM will likely be the best route

Tom
Old 08-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Great! why hasn't it been done yet?

Tom
Apparently it is because I don't want to waste my free time trying to duplicate something I can't comprehend. Seriously though, it is low on the priority list because I do have limited free time.

Feel free to PM me with whatever I said or did that annoyed you. I can't recall anything and, in fact, I think I have always treated you with the respect due to someone that is considered knowledgeable.

In full disclosure, I think I should reveal a few facts about myself since I did say your response above was funny. ( I admit that was obnoxious) I have an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering and a graduate degree in optical engineering. I attended MIT and the University of Rochester for graduate school. I have been using scopes since I was 13 and have been building electronics since I was 10. I am now 45. I have 22 years of experience as an engineer. I have worked on the Titan rocket, the hellraiser missle, the F22 stealth fighter, the joint strike fighter and classified spy planes along with sensors that have flown on NASA deep space missions, lasers that can cut your car in half, optical amplifiers that enable the internet to exist, detectors that can sense if you have been near an illegal drug in the past month as well as a mish mosh of other interesting gadgets. I have several patents and a bunch more in the works.

So I consider myself a pretty diverse and competent guy. However, a truly wise man knows that he knows nothing. I am well aware that I was never a gear head and didn't study a lot of mechanical engineering. So there is a lot I don't know about cars. But that list is getting smaller as it has become a hobby since I bought this car. Ironically, I am working on a new product right now that may end up in several high end cars. We have samples out to BMW, Ford, Peugeot, Chrysler, Jaguar and others.

I have a ton of respect for people with experience, skill and knowledge like OT, Nate a few others. I have the most respect for people that admit they may be wrong or lack complete knowledge of their subject versus those who refuse to accept those realities. The local guy I trust to work on my car when I don't feel I can do a good enough job on it or that I can do it fast enough is a really cranky old dude but we get along great. Why? Because I treat him the respect he is due and more. Actually, he reminds me of a really old Nate.

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 08-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.