Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 PM

How to evaluate our 97 for total loss...

Any clues on how to bump up the value of our totaled 97 lsi? My adjuster said add for recent work, tires battery, etc but I fear they're going to lowball us.

2004 Stage 3 XT Forester-Soon for sale!

2007 Jag S-type, just 17k on it!

Past prides: 1992 black LsL new off the lot.
1992 pearlie for a few months.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:20 PM

Of course there going to low ball you, That's What Insurance Companies Do!
I would go thru all your service records, and any reciepts you have for "upgrades" (stero, exhaust, etc....) then go and check out current ads for 96-97's with similar mileage and condition (including auctions like ebay) and see what they are selling for. Add it all up and you will get close to a fair figure (assuming you have full coverage), also remember, NEVER accept the first offer an insurance company makes.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Angry

Thanks. As a retired chiropractor, I've seen all manner of phony bodily injuries as well as almost every type of actual physical injury-many that go unnoticed by the med crowd. I've also seenall types injustices promulgated by EVERY insurance carrrier(the biggest ones are the worst offenders-routinely breaking state laws for coverage). That's one reason we chose Liberty Mutual since 1988.

I have seen most carriers pay splendidly for the car loss but almost leave the insured for dead-they use any means they can not to pay medical bills and/or deny coverage. And this from an industry that MAKES NO PRODUCT-they only redistribute our $$(mainly to their own pockets-1998ish, CEO of Travelers pocketed a $400million bonus in the middle of the Hillarycare hmo debacle).

Last edited by JeffN; 06-10-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Getting an insurance company to honor new paint, or sound systems etc., proved a pipedream for me. It turned out just to be extra work for me rounding up receipts and faxing/mailing, and they completely blew me off. I got 4,200 for the '92 and was able to buy the car back for.... I think it was ?300??

I'd edit your last post if I were you. Nothing to it, but leverage is always a good thing.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 AM

The adjuster told me to find receipts for battery, tires etc to boost the value.

Think the carriers look on this site? Worth an edit I guess-just pass the message along!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffN
Any clues on how to bump up the value of our totaled 97 lsi? My adjuster said add for recent work, tires battery, etc but I fear they're going to lowball us.
As a rule, (COURT EXPERIENCE), recent parts installed are considered 'maintenance' and carry no weight, due to the fact that the book value is based on a 'servicable car'. Where the difference comes in is with MODS! Custom paint, interior,exceptionally low miles.
My court case was me against State Farm, and I had an old Pontiac wagon. I had just put a new engine in it, and that allowed me to 'recover' high book,(but fell below the investment). The court did order them to allow me to keep the car, and pay the high book, so I guess I did win a small amount.
If you have an 'appraisel' before the ugly thing happens, you can win! Look in the yellow pages, FIND an Independent appraiser, not some insurance guy, and find out what your 'specimin' is actually worth. Give a copy of the appraisel to your insurance co,and put 'comp' coverage on it. Then your guy has a reason to fight for you, because if the other guy's insurance co won't pay, yours has to!!

Jerry

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 06-11-2006, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to trieck1232 Send a message via MSN to trieck1232
have a relative be your insurance agent! is that leagal tho?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:38 AM

Ok, got a decent price for it-should I accept it? about $11,300 with tax less 500. deductible.

The adjuster was surprised that a 9 y.o. Sube was that valuable.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffN
Ok, got a decent price for it-should I accept it? about $11,300 with tax less 500. deductible.

The adjuster was surprised that a 9 y.o. Sube was that valuable.
WHAT??

Yeah... definately accept it and let us know what insurance company you are with.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Does that allow you to keep the car?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:05 PM

Nope, they claim over 13k in damage and 11 hours in frame damage-FL only allows 4 hours max on frame repair before they scrap it-sure hope the recycler strips it well for parts.

Liberty Mutual-one of the least worst carriers.

And Phil, you do know it's a97 w/ 53k in excellent shape as they added on for that. The adjuster was surprised also-she thought a 10 y.o. sube was 3-4000. max.

Try and find another 97 under $11k asking price for me! I only see one for 11500, with 63k and the one with 27k on it for 15k large....

Old 06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
WHAT??

Yeah... definately accept it and let us know what insurance company you are with.
I second this!! Take that!!! GEICO tried to offer me only $4,500 for my car... I told them to get screwed and damn near took them to cort over it... Eventually they offered me $6,800 plus the car... So I took that since I wasn't going any higher and really didn't want to go to court

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How much for you to keep the car? If you're looking for another 97 this would make an awesome parts car.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:25 PM

I would tried to fix that one. My front end looked a LOT worse, and it came out of it without a whimper. LOTS of labor and a crash course in welding though. Total out of pocket, about $1,200 including the purchase of a welding machine from Home Cheapo. Paint and door dings - $2,700. (But it needed that paint pretty badly anyway).

Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 PM

They absolutely refuse to let me keep it-they say since it needs 11 hours frame time, it's not legal to salvage it, only scrap. I think it's bullsheet-maybe I should demand the car also.

Anyone familiar with salvage laws in FL? Can you keep a car if you're not in the dismantling business?