Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

I finaly got an SVX!

I've admired the SVX since the early 1990's. And I've owned a 95, 2001, and currently have a 2006 Outback. My daughter needs a car to get to her summer job. I looked at a P.O.S. Chrysler 1998 with 42,000 miles. It drove like crap and as I looked in the side view mirror I saw that one of the hub caps had fallen off and was literaly rolling behind me and going faster than I was. I took this as a sign! The next day, today, I found and bought a beautiful 1996 LSI SVX ebony with tan. The interior is fantastic. I had never driven an SVX before and really really like it. I think the dash styling is retro cool. The suede is so f-ing neat and the seats are ten times more comfortable than my Outback. The air conditioner works great and I like the controls very much. The rearview mirror is loose and so are the visors. I will also need rear brakes. I have about 7 $100 Subaru coupons that are good for parts and service that I've accumulated from my Subaru credit card and from buying my 06 Outback. As you probably guessed, I think my daughter will be driving my wife's 01 Outback, my wife will be driving my 06 Outback, I will be in mid-life crisis ville in the SVX. I already bought a chrome SVX license plate on eBay. The original owner had all the servicing receipts and the timing belt was changed recently. He didn't replace the water pump which I thought was a common thing to do, but I guess that's done on other models. I'm going to bring it to a good Subaru mechanic and see what else I should do. I think I should get the transmission fluid replaced with the highest quality synthetic as I read that's a good thing to do. The original owner told me he never replaced the shocks (100,000 miles). There is one brand of new tires on the front and a different brand on the back -- all in good condition and the car drives straight. I'm open to suggestions. Anyone with ideas on where to hook up a Sirius radio? I do wish the moonroof had a slider so I could let the light in without opening it. Maybe siran wrap would work
I'll take some photos soon.

Last edited by DanSVX94; 04-30-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Congratulations on joining the SVX world. It's a damn good place to be.(an expensive one too)
Old 04-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Team ROUND 1

Send a message via Yahoo to 1320boy
I have Sirius in my SVX and i love it. But i have the old Starmate receiver and there was no real way for me to somewhere i took out my ashtray since i dont use it, and also i put the antena on the rear wiper since the trunk is made out of fiberglass.
but i found away im sure you will have a better idea where to put yours

1320boy
Old 04-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Sounds like you got a beuty, welcome to the forums.
Before you get too excited, you may want to do a little research. Ill abreviate things a bit here...

Before anything, add an external tranny filter and cooler. this will add thousands of miles of life to your transmission. Theese things have a tendancy to go bad, and its mainly because of heat. The filter will allow the atf to flow freely and prevent debres clogs, and the cooler will certianly help cool down them gears
Another thing you may want to consider, becasue the car is all wheel drive, having the front and rear tires diffrent sizes really adds alot of stress to the front and rear diffs. Im not sure if having tires with diffrent amounts of tread wear will amount to any damage or not, but you might want to look into that
There are fixes for the sunvisors in the how-to's. I have a hunch that the sun visors for the svx are the same as they are on a diffrent model subaru, but I really have nothing to base that on, and no parts to test fit and research. (Mabey you could see if one of your outback visors fits )
Anyhow, best of luck with your new car. If theyres anything you need to know, youll find it here. And if it isnt here, theres plenty of people to help figure it out
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Thanks for the info.

Eric, thanks for the info. I checked out the fixes for the sunvisor.

The tires are the same size, just two different brands. The wear looks good on all tires.

I'll look into the tranny cooler. However the car already has a bit over 100K so I hope it's not too late. But I guess, better late than never.

Can I use the SVX as a tow vehicle?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Dan,
Welcome and congratulations on you SVX purchase. These cars are a total blast to drive. The people here in the SVX network are a lot of fun and a wealth of knowledge.

The tranny cooler and external filter are never too late. The 96 transmission was not as prone to failure as the 92's and early 93's were.

I am glad the previous owner never replaced the shocks. SVX's have sturts

Hope you have a ton of fun with you new baby.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
I am glad the previous owner never replaced the shocks. SVX's have sturts
Yeah, better get them sturts replaced...I hear they can be a hasstle

Oh, I forgot..the best matinence is not driving the car like its a race car (Unless of course, you properly prepare parts that would be under additional stress for such pourposes)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-30-2006, 11:12 PM

im jelouse
FYI all subarus need matching tires, circumfrence within 1/4 inch of each other.
Saw a great explination of the cause and effect of the tranny cooler, came down to you NEED an inline filter, and change it regularly.

nipper