SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
If you think buying performance standard is exciting, then go with it. i believe in building it
Very true. The amount of satisfaction I got from racing my SVT Lightning is miniscule in comparison to the pride I have in racing my '96 SVX L.

My best with the lightning was 13.64 @ 101mph, but all I did was buy a powerful truck from the factory, take it to a dragstrip and go! Going 15.06 @ 91mph in my SVX took a lot more hard work, help from members on this board like Svxfiles and Tomssvx, and I'm pretty darn proud of what I've accomplished (especially based on what other n/a 4EAT SVXs have run in the past).

A car is more than its 0-60, 1/4 mile and skidpad numbers. That's why a Porsche 911 will retain its value so much better over the long haul than an Evo or STI.

Ever considered a Porsche 911 C4 or C4S?

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Certified Porschephile

Ok, I'll say it. If your looking for style, performance, exclusivity, and great engineering, it's obvious; get a Porsche. You can get a nice 944, 928, 968, 911, or Boxster in great shape from $5000 to over $90,000. There is a model for everyone except a 4 door sedan. And pick-up truck. I'm going to fill my SVX void with a nice 928 S4 someday, hopefully in the next 2 years or so. They really are of the same ilk, sort of. The Porsche looks better and is faster and smoother, but the SVX has more room and AWD. I miss having a GT. At 34, I'm already out of the sports car wishes. A nice GT car is the way to go.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Just an opinion thats all.

Tom
Old 07-16-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
About 10 minutes from you depending on the traffic on Route 7..
thats close. where off route 7
Brembo Cross-Drilled/ Slotted Rotors. Front and Rear
4.44 gears

now in better hands of svxfiles
Old 07-17-2005, 05:57 PM
SVXtra

Quote:
Ever considered a Porsche 911 C4 or C4S?

A nice late model 911 is a bit more than I would like to spend. A Porsche with 4 wheel drive is a great deal more than I would like to spend..

Excuse me 1992SVX. But this thread is about rally cars in general. Please stick to the subject matter contained within the discussion.

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-17-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:00 PM

Rally cars in general eh, yeah there is a reason there isnt a SVX on the WRC circuit, and there is a reason the EVO, STi is. I looked hard to find a rally prep SVX on the internet. No luck. I guess that says it all, SVX is just a cruiser, isn't meant for twisties considering the weight, and of course, AUTOMATIC tranny (coming from factory that is).

offtopic=
A car like WRX = A car you can tackle tight corners with and at the same time carry people, being a sedan (rear seat is actually not bad, sat comfortably in one on many occasions)

If only the SVX came with a manual tranny, lost 100 additional lbs in addition to the loss of lbs with manual.....
Old 07-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
[QUOTE=stallion]Rally cars in general eh, yeah there is a reason there isnt a SVX on the WRC circuit, and there is a reason the EVO, STi is. I looked hard to find a rally prep SVX on the internet. No luck. I guess that says it all, SVX is just a cruiser, isn't meant for twisties considering the weight, and of course, AUTOMATIC tranny (coming from factory that is).

Begging to differ - Several years ago (posted on this site, I think) I viewed photos from a rally held in Alaska that had an SVX placing first in its class. This was a road course definately not designed for wimps. Also, witness the number of SVXes autocrossed (G stock), that do very well for "heavy cruisers". Granted, the SVX wasn't designed to compete with the Mustangs, & WRX/EVOs, but why should it have been? And speaking of twisties, quite a few of us have done The Dragon in Tennessee, & you'll see few complaints as to the handling of the "bloated" beast.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:32 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
Rally cars in general eh, yeah there is a reason there isnt a SVX on the WRC circuit, and there is a reason the EVO, STi is. I looked hard to find a rally prep SVX on the internet. No luck. I guess that says it all, SVX is just a cruiser, isn't meant for twisties considering the weight, and of course, AUTOMATIC tranny (coming from factory that is).

offtopic=
A car like WRX = A car you can tackle tight corners with and at the same time carry people, being a sedan (rear seat is actually not bad, sat comfortably in one on many occasions)

If only the SVX came with a manual tranny, lost 100 additional lbs in addition to the loss of lbs with manual.....

As for the SVX and rallying. Most rally rules only allow for cars that are less than 10 years old to compete except in the stock classes which is why you don't see any out there (which there were back in the day). Why don't you see any gen 1 legacy's out there as rally cars today even though it is a better engine than even the STi has in it (and it even meets rally standards since it isn't so huge in displacement).

WRX=tight corners??? Are you on crack? They handle horribly (as does the SVX when compared to performance cars). Subies in general aren't great handling cars. The rear becomes very unstable. I can a outhandle a stock WRX with my stock 18 year old XT6 with 200k on the odometer with my 14 inch wheels and all! Then again, it was a much more expensive car and actually innovative.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:59 PM

Well i've been in a WRX on several occasions and it outhandles the SVX I own.. Just based on experience. And I meant SVX being in WRC in general, i've been a fan of WRC, especially footage vids of old WRC in the years, and I never seen a SVX. All i'm saying.

No need to be asking me "If I am on crack". I was just stating based on experience. It was a 04 WRX I rode in on many times, just seemed to be more responsive.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 PM

Oh and the Alaska rally event, I did stumble upon that, I remember one year that SVX took first, competing along with AllTrac Camrys and such (which I did not expect people to actually race with).
Old 07-18-2005, 02:14 PM
SVXtra

Yea, the WRX is a horrible handling car that's why Subaru Technica International only won three world championships in a row with the car. But rally cars must evolve to be competitive that's why Subaru Technica International built the Sti. Because Citroen, Peugeot,Mitsubishi and Ford-Cosworth are all extremely competitive and seem to get better each year. With the French cars winning numerous world championship in recent year's. And who benefits from all this race inspired engineering? Me..

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-18-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
Well i've been in a WRX on several occasions and it outhandles the SVX I own.. Just based on experience. And I meant SVX being in WRC in general, i've been a fan of WRC, especially footage vids of old WRC in the years, and I never seen a SVX. All i'm saying.

No need to be asking me "If I am on crack". I was just stating based on experience. It was a 04 WRX I rode in on many times, just seemed to be more responsive.

Sorry meant to put a smiley at the end of it. Of course a 04 should out handle any 10 year old SVX. That is unless you update all your suspension bushing etc... That's the tough thing about comparing new cars against old. The little things wear, replace those and you'll get some more response, same thing with your struts and mounts. Of course that is pricey and in most cases impractical but then again, IMO it is totally worth it!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
Yea, the WRX is a horrible handling car that's why Subaru Technica International only won three world championships in a row with the car. But rally cars must evolve to be competitive that's why Subaru Technica International built the Sti. Because Citroen, Peuogh,Mitsubshi and Ford-Cosworth are all extremal competitive and seem to get better each year. And who benefits from all this race inspired engineering? Me..
Obviously you didn't learn much about race cars in Doctor 101 . Its like saying a Ford Taurus or whatever the circle car freaks are using now as their NASCAR name of choice on their "stock" car is a great handling 200mph car simply because one that looks like it on TV can go fast and seemingly handle well. Do you think the WRX is any different? Of course it handles somewhat decently when you weld every seem shut on the blasted body! Heck, I can make a 70 Jeep J-10 handle like a lotus with the money they put into making a WRX. Remeber the WRX is no longer a competitive vehicle in the WRC anyways, sure it has some good runs in the right conditions but it has typcially gotten trounced the past couple of years. Sure it'll win driver awards, so long as you pay the piper and get yourself a top notch driver but look at Subie's "other drivers" They don't do real well do they?

Sorry gotta go, I'm off to drive that race technology laden Taurus and get me a hum dinger of a deal on one. Can I get a prescription for the pills you've been taking? USDM WRX + WRC Impreza comparison= FUN E
Old 07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Hitchhikin'

I don't really understand the backlash against 4-door "race cars" here... I mean, if you really take that logic to its extreme, "race" cars should only have *one* door... And a seat in the middle. Which means all your coupes are useless and the McLaren F1 is the only car that comes close to being a "race" car on the street.

I think an Evo or STi is a great buy for SVXtra. An SVX is for people who want a Cadillac with Lotus styling and Subaru AWD. And as to the comment regarding building your car up with "blood, sweat, and tears" instead of buying a car that's fast from the factory, I think the rice patrol on this board is looking for you.

I would love to have an SVX again. But my personal needs require me to find a car that gets better gas mileage than my "quick" car (16/27 city/hwy), and the SVX can't meet that requirement. My personal tastes have been leaning towards a few specialized vehicles rather than one nice all-around vehicle. That means one gas-saver car, one "quick" car, and one luxury cruiser. The SVX may fit as a luxury cruiser if I can find a way to update the styling for a reasonable cost.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
I don't really understand the backlash against 4-door "race cars" here... I mean, if you really take that logic to its extreme, "race" cars should only have *one* door... And a seat in the middle. Which means all your coupes are useless and the McLaren F1 is the only car that comes close to being a "race" car on the street.

No backlash here. Personally, I think the Impreza Coupe is the idiotic of the bunch as it was built on a 4 door frame thus needed extra support to be added to the structure. In otherwords its the porkie pig of the impreza line weighing in there just a tad under the wagon in most years.