Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Go for it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
I love rally cars. My first car was a 1968 Opel Kadett Rallye I bought new from a local Buick Dealer. Remember those cars? It was basically an Opel Kadette with two extra fog lights,rally gauge package and large black stripes on the hood for an extra 500 dollars. It threw a rod at 700 miles.Gee, I wonder why? My next car was a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang I bought used in 1971 from the money I saved in Vietnam. I was drafted in September of 1968 and signed up for another year of service to go warrant officer school to fly medical evac UH-1's. Which I did for the 101st out of Camp Eagle in Phu-Bai and Firebase Howard near Hue. The black Boss served me well while I was in college until the gas crisis of 1973 when I sold it for a Celica. I now own a 2003 GS 300,1967 Shelby GT 350, and a 2001 IS 300. Which my son drives more than I do. I've even owned a few LandCruisers both FJ-40 and FJ-45. But the EVO is something special to me. But I refuse to pay 35k for a new one...
I would like to introduce myself to the group. I'm an SVXaholic.

There, I've said it. But I love those EVO cars, for the same reasons as stated above. The drive is fun, fun , fun

If you have absorbed all the info on here, you will probably have heard more than you need to know about trannies slipping and rear bearings going. I am not trying to sell you on the SVX experience, but there is a squeeky wheel syndrome at play here. The people who get great use from their SVX are too busy out driving their cars to be on the net looking for help, or complaining.

I am currently driving a twin turbo Legacy wagon. The experience is probably closest to the WRX Impreza. It makes 260 hp, a lovely noise, and goes like stink. I'd prefer it to the SVX on a back road, and when both turbos are pushing, the hedges go Millennium Falcon on you, but for everyday comfort, the SVX is streets ahead.

The love affair we have with the SVX is caused by a combination of the looks and easy speed ability. You would need to drive one for a week to know what I mean.

So I'm serious when I say, go for the EVO. I would. But I would not sell the SVX to get it. Currently I am scheming to buy a Skyline GTR, the early R32 small version. I'll sell the Legacy to get it, but not the SVX.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-13-2005, 07:19 PM
SVXtra

Personally

Quote:
I would like to introduce myself to the group. I'm an SVXaholic
Hello my friend..

I think the SVX is a fantastic car! Especially in LSI trim. With its beautiful leather interior and the added safety of 4 wheel drive. I almost bought a beautiful dark green 95 LSI two weeks ago for 4k. The engine and beige interior were both extreamly clean. But my garage is already full. And I would not like parking such a fine automobile in my driveway for long periods. So more or less I have decided to sell my IS 300 next year and use the money to purchase a low milage MK VIII EVO from someone over 30...

Here is a picture of the SVX I almost bought two weeks ago. I think its still for sale?

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-13-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Looks real nice.

If you have a lot of cars, then you probably don't need another good-all-rounder.

I think the EVO VIII is pretty. Or the VII for that matter also. I would buy one and take off the in yer face rear spoiler, but I'm probably showing my age here.

The EVOS and STis are a lot of ability for the money. I suspect they are a little bit frantic and jumpy in everyday driving. Just like the really good sports bikes are not the best to go touring on. They can go like the clappers, but are tiring and tiresome in long distance traffic.

Horses for courses.

If the EVO VIII is the horse for you, get it and enjoy the ride!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Yea that's Great! And many day's in mid July do you think the factory transmission would last pulling 360 hp? Especially one without a good aftermarket cooler?..
I wouldn't begin to imagine why someone would get a supercharger without an aftermarket cooler

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-13-2005, 08:03 PM
SVXtra

My concern is.

Quote:
If you have a lot of cars, then you probably don't need another good-all-rounder.

I have three cars currently. But none of them are capable of being driven in several inches of snow SAFELY without perhaps using chains even with two of them having traction control. So my present concern is,on occasion, as a pediatrician I must be able to drive safely in several inches of snow if not more. Because, of my occasional need to assist other physicians in times of need or during there occasional illness. I sold my Landcruiser two years ago and bought a GS300 when I semi-retired. But as of last year I started working as an occasional emergency on-call physician. And as you may well guess mothers in waiting are not really concerned about weather forecasts So, basically,common sense dictates my next vehicle should be four wheel drive. And my next question is do EVO and Sti owners have any common sense?

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-13-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
I would like to introduce myself to the group. I'm an SVXaholic.

Joe
Hi. I came with Joe to see what you do here. No, I am not a SVXaholic. I just drive them socially and at meets.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 07-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
I have three cars currently. But none of them are capable of being driven in several inches of snow SAFELY without perhaps using chains even with two of them having traction control.
Maybe you should save $30k and go to a good winter driving school and buy dare I say winter tires. There is absolutely no reason you should need awd, 4wd or even fwd to go through under 8 inches of snow I don't care if you're driving a 05 Vette or a 59 Caddie.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 PM
SVXtra

Quote:
Maybe you should save $30k and go to a good winter driving school and buy dare I say winter tires. There is absolutely no reason you should need awd, 4wd or even fwd to go through under 8 inches of snow I don't care if you're driving a 05 Vette or a 59 Caddie.

Oh Yea? Well its opinionated smart asses who ruin good threads and good vibes. I don't appreciate your opinion or your attitude. I'm out of here..
Old 07-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Exclamation

[QUOTE=SVXtra]I love rally cars. My first car was a 1968 Opel Kadett Rallye I bought new from a local Buick Dealer. Remember those cars? It was basically an Opel Kadette with two extra fog lights,rally gauge package and large black stripes on the hood for an extra 500 dollars. It threw a rod at 700 miles.

I remember the Kaydett Rallye. I had a '70 Opel Manta 1900 (the last NEW car I ever bought), that took me to 130K, & still ran OK when I sold it. I just couldn't hack it when the bolt-on A/C finally quit.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Oh Yea? Well its opinionated smart asses who ruin good threads and good vibes. I don't appreciate your opinion or your attitude. I'm out of here..

Watch your language there buddy. This is a family site. Just giving you a suggestion. You're the one who determined I was being smart so obviously you're the one who is opinionated. Look at the facts, every car you talked about wouldn't be bad in the snow if it had 2 things. A driver who knew how to handle it in the snow and tires that weren't low profile, wide "performance" tread tires. Sorry if I offended ya but really, a few inches of snow? I'd understand if you're other vehicles were all motorcycles but come on give me a break.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
whoa, chill buddy. I really don't think you should judge his statement as offensive. I think his point was that with the right knowledge and experience, any car can be driven in bad weather without being in an accident or at fault for an incident. My only concern with buying an EVO or STI is that you will get a load of speed and capability but will lose the greater qualities of owner and nice car. We are talking about smotth rides and great cruizing capabilities on the highway. Even with my high reving 5mt without cruize, it is very pleasant to drive on the highway. This is something that you will lose with a high performance ar from the factory. Just do some thinking about it. With the money you will save on buying an SVX, you could replace the rear bearings and transmission 2 or 3 times before you could catch up to the costs of owning an EVO or STI. Not only are they a lot to insure but I am sure maint will get costly after a while also. Just so food for thought

Tom
Old 07-13-2005, 10:57 PM
aka sir_romeo

Send a message via MSN to kuroneko_sama Send a message via Yahoo to kuroneko_sama
i just have issues with 4 door "race cars"

also the evo looks like almost any other "pocket rocket" out there.... infact it looks alot like a well ventilated prius... i know that simple tweaking can make the evo tear apart a svx on a track but is that what its being used for?.

i find the svx more enjoyable to drive than both my audi cabriolet and my twin turbo rx-7... it lacks the power of the rx-7 but it makes up for it in comfort and visa versa. the svx is an incredibly well rounded car.

the general car on a scale to 1-10 usually has a single aspect that rates as a 10 (speed, comfort, safety, handling, cost) where the other aspects suffer you can have a 10 in speed and a 2 in safety and visa versa...... whereas my svx i would rate solid 7s all the way around.

i get good milage for the HP, its more comfortable (i have the "velour" cloth seats) than ANY other car ive been in luxury or otherwise. and it has a pretty good pep, the power on demand is plenty nice and in NH, one must consider winter (even though i store mine) granted i only have 77k on mine but as of right now the only thing i had to replace was my rear view mirror (blackening around the glass)

and to top it off its not trying to be a 4 door "sports car"... no matter how big the wing is and how much hp you get... a sedan is a sedan. the svx doesnt try to be what its not. im not saying its a sorts car either, but it certainly is a hell of alot closer.

its not a pocket rocket, its a mesh of style, comfort, power and handling

with the "pocket rockets" its a carry 5 people to the track then blow a 1/4 mile...then pack em back in and drive home. kind of deal
the "beat the hell out of them, dispoeseable at 100k" cars

sure, you can plan on driving 5 people to hammer block to block, but it makes no sense to me (extra weight and all)

plus too many times i see people paying 12 grand for a car only to spend 16 grand on upgrades to turn it into the porche/corvette/bmw they coulda just bought in the first place for that money

i find that many people are trying too hard to get the cake and eat it too... if you have 4 kids and a dog to truck around... dont buy a corvette

if you plan to plow light to light hammering the accelorator.... dont buy a family car.

if you want to go offroading.... dont buy a dodge neon

its simple

the svx does everything i want it to.... it goes everywhere i want it to as fast as i want it to, in great comfort. it doesnt feel like its made of paper mache when going 70 down the highway, infact it feels almost as solid as my audi.
the comfort levels are waay up there, i can drive 4 hours and not feel cramped or stiff... its like watching tv in my favorite chair.

and granted i paid a little more for mine than many did for a 70k '94 lsi (about 5 grand, but the condition was pristine) it was still cheaper than any comparible car by about half the price.

if you like the evo... get it.., enjoy it. but i cant seem to understand what you plan on doing with it.... what is the objective/appeal????

the svx is perfect for me, i rarely need more room than a 2 seater (i just use my wagon if i do), i live in NH where we can get a couple feet of snow overnight, and are prone to ice storms (ignore that i prefer to store mine in the winter) i live on a partially dirt road in a lake town. and i often have to go 40 miles in any direction to get to a city to have some fun. it does what i want. im happy

then again im not a street racer

besides, who doesnt love that 360 degree, blindspot free, visibility zone?????

as it was said before (and to alter a marvel comics quote)..... Make mine SVX
Car #26..'97 SVX Silver (120k and climbing)
previous SVXi:
Car #24..'94 SVX Ebony 216k (sold)
car #18..'97 SVX LSI "Ebby" Pearl 175k (sold)
car #19..'97 SVX LSI Brilliant Red 103k (sold)
car #14..'92 SVX Claret LS-L Touring (sold)
car #13..'94 SVX Laguna Blue LS (sold)

Last edited by kuroneko_sama; 07-13-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Quote:
Oh Yea? Well its opinionated smart ***** who ruin good threads and good vibes. I don't appreciate your opinion or your attitude. I'm out of here..
Bye! Mighty thin skinned for a "professional" isn't he? Methinks we're wasting our time, except maybe in respect to expressing our love for our beautiful and unusual cars. Make mine SVX!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
Few things to look at, are you importing it, or is it here, amount of parts avalible in the US, cost of the car, and condition.

-Importing it will suck unless its thru someone like Motor-Ex or thru the UK
-Next to no parts are readily avalible for an old Evo, so prepare to pay
-Most likely cost 12k-25k depending on the model and condition
-Remember that their wheather, driving style, and matininece is very different

And the biggest thing is that you have no clue on what has happened to the car in its past, it could've been rolled many times and sold to some importer

just my two cents, I was going to import a Skyline but I decided to go with the SVX, very happy with that decision
Old 07-14-2005, 04:45 PM
SVXtra

Quote:
Next to no parts are readily available for an old Evo, so prepare to pay

Parts [virtually any part] for a MK VII/VIII/IX Evo are readily available and will be for a number of years. There is a Mitsubishi dealer about eight miles from my home. There are at least four after market specialty shops that specialize in Evo's and Lancer repairs within 15 miles of my home. I have been using the same technician who owns his repair facility to work on my Shelby for the last 14 years. Who assures me his staff [of which one tech owns an Evo] can maintain and repair the car without problems;should I need there assistance. In case Mitsubishi goes out of business in the next two or three years..