How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

SVX on TV (maybe)

This is a long story, but I'll cut to the chase.

A buddy of mine from college (Mike) was visiting me (Nate) here in Tucson this last weekend. He lives in Washington state and wanted to see all the "Old West" we have to offer here. 90% of the "Old West" is tourist crap, but that didn't stop us from loading up the SVX and heading to Tombstone.

As we are heading towards Tombstone we spot a hitchhiker on the side of the road. As a good samaritan (it was about 100 deg. outside) and curious why the hitchhiker had a film crew, we stopped. The nice fellow (Doug) asks if we want to be on TV. Answered "Yes". The crew proceeds to outfit the SVX with cameras and microphones and shoves a coffin-box of A/V gear in the trunk. Mike and I sign our release forms and we head out with Doug shoehorned in the back seat, following a rental van with a huge camera pointing out the back doors.

I didn't know this at the time, but our passenger was Doug Stanhope, comedian. Doug hosted The Man Show with Joe Rogan and a couple of "Girls Gone Wild" videos and he did some other stuff he talks about on his webpage (www.dougstanhope.com). They were filming for a pilot episode (that's what they told us anyway) of a Travel Channel show (oh, joy) called "Hitched" where Doug hitchhikes around BSing with people who pick him up.

Having a prefessional stand-up comedian as you travel the highway to Tombstone Arizona is pretty damn funny. Once in Tombstone the film crew decided they liked us and hooked Mike and I up with microphones and sent the three of us out on the town, complete with camera crew following us around. Touring Tombstone and drinking beers with said comedian is a nearly lethal combination. I haven't laughed that hard for a long time. The man is ruthless.

There will be some pretty funny stuff if the show airs, but about 50% of the converssation can't be aired. It was very...raunchy. Goodtimes. Oh, and the production picked up the tab!

Anyway, the point of the story is this: If the show gets picked up my SVX will be on TV. Yay.

Goldie sets up the cameras and mics for the three of us.

All the recording gear in the trunk.

Mike, Doug and Me.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Dude, that is cool as hell! Let us know if you get notified of a broadcast date. (I assume they'd let you know, right?)

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 05-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That sounds awesome! I hope the show takes off...we could always use some current positive media coverage!

Did you or them talk about the car at all on camera?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

The only mention of the car was a couple crew guys thought is was "pretty cool" and "in good shape". Other comments like "what is it" were made as well, but we didn't discuss anything (as far as I know) while the cameras were rolling. I had to do a second run of pulling over for Doug as I was "a little too aggressive" when I pulled over the first time. I guess squealing tires and such aren't PC on travel channel shows.

Hindsight is 20/20. I should have plugged the car, but I think they'd have cut it as the show is about funny stuff and not bad-a$$ yet affordable mid 90's sport-touring cars.

I didn't mention earlier that we couldn't run the A/C above low because it would wipe out the microphones. After driving for about two minutes the crew radios back to Doug that the A/C is too loud and to turn it off. There was some really great footage of us sweating our a$$es of for about 10 minutes before they finally let us turn it back on. And I mean the sweat was pouring. That should make for a good "desert feeling".

I didn't have much to say. My only lines were boring conversation and a political diatribe on the Minuteman Project. My friend Mike is a Fire Fighter in Seattle, and that makes for much better stories than debugging 32 channel 20 bit A/D converters and data acquisition systems, and quoting statistics and bordercrossers and "vigilantes". Mike is also a type A personality with an awesome sense of humor that just clicked with Doug's. I figured I'd let them to it and see where it went. Oh, it went.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeich
Dude, that is cool as hell! Let us know if you get notified of a broadcast date. (I assume they'd let you know, right?)
They didn't take contact information. The producer said that for the pilot they run on minimum budget and paper work. If the show doesn't get picked up, it's just wasted money. If the show gets picked up they double the crew get more gear and have better accomodations and keep better paper work (theoretically).

If it airs everyone here will hear about it.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
We were on Sniefeild (spelled wrong) The episod where they were lost in the Parking garage. Ellian asks a couple who drive an SVX to drive them around to find there car, they of course refuse. You only get to see a side of the SVX but it looks nice and it was probily brand new for the show.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:35 PM

That's almost as awesome as having one of the old Man Show hosts hitch a ride in your svx! Keep us posted I'd love to watch, I'm a big fan of his work in girls gone wild
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 05-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
this is very cool. I hope it makes it on the air.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:13 PM

Cool,
I think Stanhope is kinda a tool, but I hope the SVX makes it on the air!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:32 PM

Awesome

I hope it makes it too. Always good to respike interest in past cars. Cars that make you go HMMMMM? This in addition to the other member who may be on speed channel makes me hopeful we get a little exposure of the cars we love.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:46 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Sounds awesome...hope it works out.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 PM
no limitation as limitation

hahahahahaha thats awsome. i miss the man show.