Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 05-17-2004, 07:35 PM
deruvian

The car may kick butt, but man am I jealous.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:59 AM
mark10t

I can attest that Victoria's car does exist and, indeed, does have a 5-speed manual installed- I rode in it this morning while she screamed up and down McAndrews Road in it. Yes, the acceleration is awesome with the 4.11 gears.

I was picking up what remains of her 4EAT and all the misc. parts from her swap. I am having it installed (with the original differential) in my new/used '94 Legacy (turbo) Touring Wagon.

-Mark
Old 05-18-2004, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t

I was picking up what remains of her 4EAT and all the misc. parts from her swap. I am having it installed (with the original differential) in my new/used '94 Legacy (turbo) Touring Wagon.

-Mark
The 4EAT transmission is used in the 90-94 Legacys as well as the SVX.....are they interchangeable?

Warren C.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:59 PM
mark10t

Non-turbo and turbo Legacy's have different ratios. The transmission ratios are the same for turbo Legacy's and SVX's, but the final drive ratios are different (turbo-Legacy- 3.9, SVX- 3.545). Non-turbo Legacy's have a 4.11 final drive.

I'll find out shortly if there are any snags; the Touring Wagon is in the tranny shop right now getting it's 'swap'. My RWD didn't work (something in the transfer clutch assy.) and the shifting was less than stellar, so I'm having Victoria's 'recently rebuilt' SVX transmission 'transplanted'. We have to swap the front diff's to make it work (retain my 'old' diff), but her's was 'toast' anyway. That's what prompted her 5MT conversion in the first place.

Wish ME luck, now.

-Mark
Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 PM
astralbody

let me know how it goes Mark!!

fingers crossed

still can't figure out the cruise...
small problem for what I have had to deal with
check it more this weekend...

later all!
Old 05-18-2004, 02:41 PM
astralbody

Hi all

added new pics in my folder.

my shifter boot is in there now also....

forgot to take pics of my intakje setup...get em later
Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 AM
mark10t

Here's a follow-up to my 'saga' (double-posted)-

I just got the Legacy Touring Wagon back from the shop yesterday. Except for the hole they punched in the rear interior facia of the hatch lid**, there are no problems and the car drives very nicely. The 'fresh' transmission shifts very crisply and far more consistent with no hint of the 'flares' I'd experience with the old tranny. They did have to re-use the Legacy torque converter- it appreared as though there were some minor differences (i.e., starter ring gear) that were different and there are definitely some physical differences in the front diff's such as the starter and the axle stubs between SVX and Legacy. (I wouldn't have been able to re-use Victoria's diif anyway considering it had 4 teeth missing on the ring gear!!??!!)

**They decided to put my old trans/diff/torque converter, etc. in the back of the wagon before they test drove the car. When he hopped on it to test traction, etc., the torque tube/drive rod of the transmission slid back on the wagon floor and punched a hole through the hatch door facia and even put a small dent in the outer sheet metal. (Wouldn't you think you'd do your testing and 'spirited driving' BEFORE you put all the oily, heavy, loose stuff in the car!? I also ended up with some ATF leaking out of the tranny onto the deck and carpet before I got home- YECCHHHH! Lots of fun to clean up..... )

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in yet is the transfer clutch. After a lot of 'seat of the pants' and technical testing of the original transmission, I knew that I wasn't seeing ANYTHING out the back of the transmission to the rear wheels. I checked out the new transmission by driving up the back yard- a steep grass slope with the car- and got it to kick in the back wheels- although it wasn't as 'instantaneous' or as constant in engagement as I would have liked or hoped for.

So, now we've answered another Legacy vs. SVX transmission question.

-Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Well, it looks like I found that little gear that she had trouble identifying and replacing. It in fact left me stranded. It is in the cupler in the rear of the trans. Liek spider gears in a differential. Well it was chewed up all to hell and now it is completely anihilated. Time for a new trans and parts to fix this one

Tom(BTW I own Vic's old car)
Old 05-09-2005, 05:27 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I've got an SVX core you could probably part out and get lots of "little gears", etc.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
I've got an SVX core you could probably part out and get lots of "little gears", etc.

Ya know i got a giggle or two out of that

Tom