How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-16-2003, 12:09 PM
imjeremy77

Question Transmission help please!

I have 111K, and i've noticed it takes a longer time (longer than other cars) to shift from Reverse to a forward gear and vice versa. The transmission was supposedly rebuilt once by the previous owner at around 90 but I don't have any documentation. I took it to my local Aamco (I know, but they were upen saturday) says judging by the debris in the pan and looking at it they strongly recommended a rebuild...but I'm not sure whether to trust them or not.

My problem is that the transmission so far doesn't slip, even underhard acceleration. The only problem is the slow shifting from a forward gear to a reverse gear.

Any suggestions? Ideas? I love this car but its starting too expensive to maintain! (I also need a timing belt and 60K check soon)
Old 10-16-2003, 01:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You could take a brand-new car to Aamco and they'd tell you that they 'strongly recommend a rebuild.'

It's the same thing with any of these chains that specialize in one thing. Take a car with all-new brakes to Midas and they'll quote you $1000 to replace everything.

This is how they work. Don't ask them for advice, because they're not in the advice-giving business.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

How long of a delay are we talking? Is the delay the same whether the car is warm or cold?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-16-2003, 03:07 PM
imjeremy77

re:transmission help

I'd say a 2 second delay, more noticible when it is cold. Ideas anyone?

Last edited by imjeremy77; 10-16-2003 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: re:transmission help

Quote:
Originally posted by imjeremy77
I'd say a 2 second delay, more noticible when it is cold. Ideas anyone?
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. But I would change the tranny fluid, if Aamco told you that there was a lot of debris in it.

Maybe somebody else could give you more helpful advice.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-16-2003, 06:38 PM
JJay

Thumbs up Trying to help you out.

I am soon to be among the owners of an SVX. I am learning and taking notes on do this....don't do that. I think you should read this post if you have not already. It talks about the abuse of the miles/temperature of the transmission fluid and how it breaks down with normal usage.

PLEASE READ THIS!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=13150
Old 10-17-2003, 12:05 AM

The 92 trannies have suffered from oil pump gasket failure that caused 1/2 line pressure at idle, but still normal pressure at stall speed. There was a TSB on it.
The symptoms would be slow shifting at idle, but close to normal (no slippage) at higher speeds.

You can get the line pressure tested - there is a test port on transmission - this will tell for sure if you have the problem. You should be able to find a transmission shop to do it for you, or you can invest in a pressure gauge ($40-50) and have fun getting under the car and discovering where the test port is hidden.

Normal readings would make you sleep better, lower pressure will tell you to get prepared to transmission rebuilding or replacement of the car itself.

Gasket replacement requires taking the transmission out of the car, so it is not really worth it.

The factory service manual quotes 1 second for neutral to D and 1.6 seconds for neutral to reverse - this is at idle with the engine and transmission fully warmed up.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:00 PM
imjeremy77

One last question..

Aamco said they didn't want to service it, since he's seen changing the viscosity of the fluid has made failing transmissions stop working. Has anyone heard of that?? Thanks for the replies btw.

Last edited by imjeremy77; 10-17-2003 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:50 AM
red95svx

Personally I wouldn't worry about it until it started slipping. Have the fluid changed and stop thinking about it. On another note, you mentioned changing your timing belt. The SVX timing belt is one of the beefiest Subaru ever made. I just changed mine after 80,000 miles of use and the old one looked fine. You could still see all the markings and there was barely any visible wear. Next time I'm changing it at 100,000.

Dave

P.S.-the alternator belt had 50,000 miles on it when it was changed and that looked real good too. The factory belts are top notch.

Last edited by red95svx; 10-18-2003 at 09:53 AM.