How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-04-2003, 09:23 AM
LordLobo

My very sad weekend

Hello again everybody. Sorry I havn't been around. This was 'one message board too far' in my daily browsefest so I had to stay away unless I need something.

Anyway the tragedy begins with one of my good friend's wife dying. I stood up in their wedding 4 years ago. She was 30.

Now let's note where my tranny was before saturday. I havn't noted any 'sad transmission' problems. I had a fluid change last year and then drove it 3000 miles to and from Texas of all places, and it hasn't cried at all. I've been commuting @ 60mi/day. I'm near 141,000 miles.

The funeral was saturday. It was friggin hot. I drove in the funeral procession in 2nd gear. BTW the funeral ripped my heart out.

But the real bouns cake was about 2/3rds of the way home my car downshifted and would not shift. I tried pulling off the freeway, only to find it wouldn't shift. I manged to get it home.

I think it's shifting between 2nd and 3rd, but not to 4th, 1st, or Reverse, but it's definitely dead.

Anyway I'm in 'what to do?' mode right now. Of course, I'd love to keep the car and nurse it back to health. However the more pressing problem is I need to get to work regularly. I'm not even sure I could sell the SVX as it is right now...the exterior has been beaten up pretty bad by hit-n-runners which was on my 'to do' list after I paid off the car (only $780 left). A friend of mine suggested I part the thing out (the interior is for the most part immaculate and the engine is in fair-to-good-condition). There certainly are a few more mechanical complaints besides the tranny (exhaust, a/c, steering pump,rack-n-pinion all need work)

For now I have my friends Honda CRX as a loaner (what an intersting ride). I'm prolly going to buy a junker for the interim and try to fix my baby. On that note I have a question:

Is the 'reconditioned transmission' just for the tranny or the 'whole kit' here:

http://www.smallcar.com/svx/5spdkit.htm

And for those who have done the manual rebuild and HAD A SHOP DO THE LABOR, what was the total cost?