Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Roly

Smile New UK member

Hello,

I'm not actually a new member of this forum - joined about a year ago when I bought my 1992 SVX.

Couple of months ago the gearbox (transmission) blew up and I got the car back from the rebuilder yesterday, GBP1760 poorer. I guess that's about USD2500.

So now I have it back on the road I think I need to understand it a little better. Forgive me if this is in the archives but how do I read out fault codes? Do I need special equipment?

Are there any UK listers out there? They only ever sold 150 or so SVXs over here so it's a long shot but it would be nice to hear from you if you exist.

Cheers,
Roly
Old 08-02-2003, 07:05 PM

Welcome - a year late

There are a variety of codes depending on the system. One set/method for climate control, another for ABS, another for engine, another for transmission, etc. A good place to start is to click on the "How-To Documents" link at the top right. The blinking power light tells about tranny codes. I think the others are self explanatory. What's missing is the climate codes & method.

I'll let the UK and Europe members chime in on their own.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:34 AM
TonyShaleUK

Welcome to the club - UK

Hi Roly,

Look under the forums, right at the end, you'll find a European forum. That's where we sit!!

As it happens, we're having a get together in the Midlands on the 16th and 17th of this month. 9 cars due to turn up. This is our second meeting, had a great time in Torquay last year.

Get onto the forum and check out the last few posts - there you'll see the details. You can either mail me (I'm organising this bash) or post on the thread.

Would be great to see another member.

Also, why not drop a new post to introduce you and your car - outline spec. The cars coming to the meet include UK, Jap, from 91 to 95, I think. One of them even has 4 wheel steer!!

Hopefully see you around

Tony
Old 08-03-2003, 08:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Hi Roly,

you are welcome here any time. If you could make it in 2 weeks it would be great. The more the merrier.

There are a couple of board regulars in your area, have a look in the Euro forum as Tony said.

Any problems or questions, just ask away. The How-to locker is a good place to look too.

Ps. Don't get too paraniod about your SVX, mine has given me less trouble than other cars which were much newer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 08-04-2003, 03:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: New UK member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roly
Hello,

I'm not actually a new member of this forum - joined about a year ago when I bought my 1992 SVX.

Couple of months ago the gearbox (transmission) blew up and I got the car back from the rebuilder yesterday, GBP1760 poorer. I guess that's about USD2500.

So now I have it back on the road I think I need to understand it a little better. Forgive me if this is in the archives but how do I read out fault codes? Do I need special equipment?

Are there any UK listers out there? They only ever sold 150 or so SVXs over here so it's a long shot but it would be nice to hear from you if you exist.

Cheers,
Roly
Hello Roly, and welcome.

Did the main dealer get the box done in Glasgow? 1760 sounds familiar, that's the place Subaru UK send all the auto trannies. If so, they know them well and will have fixed it well.

Follow advice above, fault codes are in the How-to.

Regular advice given is to add an additional oil cooler to keep the ATF in the box from degrading due to heat. It gets very hot, particularly if in heavy traffic, pushing it hard, towing, [only Rob does this, he's the only tow-bar man we know ] or in stop-start traffic. As this covers most driving situations, it is a good idea to fit a cooler.

Other advice is use fully synthetic ATF oil. It is more resistant to heat spikes. US owners often go for Redline Hitemp, not easily available in the UK, but Mobil 1 is just as good.

You will also notice the box shifts up real quick to higher gears. Pulling heavy torque at low revs in D is tough on the box. The pump output is rev-related, so the pressures are not optimum. To get around this, if you are in traffic, only drive in 3. It won't allow selection of the high overdrive D. When on the motorway or main road, slip it up to D at about 60. This is easier on the tranny.

Best of luck with it,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-04-2003, 04:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Welcome Roly.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:07 PM

Hiya Roly,

Welcome to the forum though you probably joined before I did.

I'd be interested to know where you got your autobox worked on. Are you pleased with the work they did and the price you were charged?

My 'box shunts a little going into 2nd either up or down the ratios spoiling the low speed driving experience a little. I'd like to nip this in the bud before it becomes something more terminal.

Cheers.

The Monzta

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 12:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta
Hiya Roly,

My 'box shunts a little going into 2nd either up or down the ratios spoiling the low speed driving experience a little. I'd like to nip this in the bud before it becomes something more terminal.

Cheers.

The Monzta

Have you checked out your resistor yet? (The one behind the battery.) I was having the same symptoms.

It is easy to check. Disconnect the resistor and go for a drive. If it is working correctly, you should find your changes become much harder. If there is no difference, you need a new one.

Only buy from the US as even with postage, you will save a fortune.

Ps I will be in Salisbury on the 15th, so wave if you see a liquid silver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954

Last edited by Andy; 08-05-2003 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:23 AM
Roly

Hi again,

Thanks for all your responses. There's a lot of stuff in the lockers I haven't read so cheers for pointing me in the right direction.

I'll post an intro in the European forum.

Roly
'92 Liquid Silver UK spec
Old 08-08-2003, 09:23 AM

Andy,

Thanks for the advice on the resistor. I'll hopefully have a look at it this weekend and see if disconnecting it makes any difference. That's if I don't melt in the heat beforehand.

On the subject of resistors, do you have any thoughts or advice on these SVX Stage I Shift Kits sold by Small Car Performance in the USA? http://www.smallcar.com/svx/tsk.htm

The Monzta

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!