SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2003, 11:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Why I haven't been around...

...no, this isn't going to be another whiney 'this place has changed' and 'I don't like all the commotion' post. I still love this site - but sometimes life gets in the way.

Some of you know how hard my coworkers and I were working on our game. I literally did not have a day off for two months. I can't speak for anybody else, but I worked 7 days a week, sometimes over 100 hours a week. I got up in the morning, came to work, and sometimes stayed here until 5:30AM - just to come back and do the same thing again a few hours later.

So finishing the game came as kind of a relief. We had a code and data freeze for a couple days, fixed some bugs here and there, and sort of sat around, waiting to be told to go home.

And we did get told to go home. At the meeting, the first sentence was 'the game is done - good job.' The second sentence was, 'THQ is closing Outrage.'

I can't tell you how much that hurt all of us. To work so hard on something and then be told 'thanks, you're all fired,' felt like a pretty low blow. We were given until the end of the month, and then a severence package after that.

So I've gone through the motions, almost every day, coming in to this empty office and trying to find a job. It's been very painful for me; this has been the best job I've ever had. When we talk about it, we all say the same thing - Outrage was more than a job, it was a family.

Well, people move on, even me - I found a new job. I was offered a level artist position with Volition. This studio is owned by the same company as Outrage, so there are some immediate worries - but just as many positives. Volition is in Champaign, Illinois. I'm not thrilled about moving somewhere that's even more flat than Michigan, but the job is great, the town is nice and it's close to Chicago and Indianapolis. Plus, I have family and many friends in the Milwaukee area, and it's not that far from there.

Thursday is my last day here at Outrage, so I won't have internet access for awhile. I don't know when I start, but when I do, I'll stop in and say hi.

PS We're all really damned proud of Alter Echo (the game). It's different, it's pretty and (most importantly) it's fun. I hope people enjoy it. If you have a PS2 or an XBox, I recommend checking it out. The release date is August 19th, and if you pre-order it you get a cool poster. The art on Alter Echo is unreal, so the posters are pretty friggin' awesome.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-29-2003, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
hey, sorry to hear about all the losses. Too bad the company did that to you guys. I have a couple friends down in Champaign, nice town. Except that after you get out of town, there is nothing but cornfields, so you'll be spending most of your time in urbana and champaign. We are losing another michigander

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 07-29-2003, 11:26 AM

Exclamation Sorry

Sorry to see you go, and sorry we did not get a chance to meet. I have been busy as well, as you know. I am glad to see you at least found a job. The economy sucks and with your skill sets, their are few jobs right now in the 3D world like ours. I hope you stick around in the network to stay in touch. Best of luck.

Regards,
awdsvx

Old 07-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
That sucks, and it seems to be the way of life in this country these days. On the bright side, at least you rebounded quick, it took me 3yrs to get a new job. And I'll make sure to give the game a spin, just for you. It sounded pretty interesting before I knew a fellow SVXer helped create it, now I can't wait.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 07-29-2003, 11:51 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by awdsvx
Sorry to see you go, and sorry we did not get a chance to meet. I have been busy as well, as you know. I am glad to see you at least found a job. The economy sucks and with your skill sets, their are few jobs right now in the 3D world like ours. I hope you stick around in the network to stay in touch. Best of luck.

Regards,
awdsvx

Hey, I'm still here for another few weeks, at least. And, since Thursday's my last day and I don't have to worry about finding a job, I could get together for lunch or something, if you wanted to meet.

My industry is doing very well, and there seem to be jobs out there if you have experience. So I'm glad Outrage gave me a chance and now I have that experience - and two shipped games!

Also, nobody worry about me sticking around the network. Two and a half years ago, I changed jobs and moved halfway across the country, and I'm still here. Just give me a few weeks and I'll be back - you can count on it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-29-2003, 12:07 PM

come out here & work for microsoft xbox; I work in a business park in Redmond WA & they're in the next building over (two buildings, actually).
Old 07-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Nick,
Although I haven't been around much myself, lately, I've wondered where you were.

On one hand, I hate to hear of the cold, cruel, thank you, goodbye development. My buddy (who was "phased out" here at the office) called that a six digit retirement plan (he stuck up the middle digit of his left hand while waving goodbye with the five digits on his right). Even though I've been "assured" that my position here is secure, I may be the next on the block, since the "merger." One never knows. Meanwhile, I'm awaiting word on the possibility of a career change, myself (do it to them before they do it to me ). All the same, I felt the same betrayal from the first ad agency I worked with. The cycle was like this for me: I was hurt for about two years . . . deeply hurt. Then, I got pissed. Now, I'm finally over it (after about 12 years ).

On the upside, you'll be closer to ME! Perhaps we can get together more often. Chi-town's only about 6 hours. Champaign is a shorter distance (I think). Anyway, try and make the best of it.

Of course, if my "career change" comes about, I'll be heading about two hours further south. However, if I get the property I'm scoping out for the move, I'll have plenty of room to put up guests, so, you and Amber can come for a visit (you could come now, if you don't mind sleeping on hide-a-beds ).

Any way, you know my thoughts are with you. Do you still have my cell number? If so, call me some time. If not, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Hang in there!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Oh, and one more thing: who the hell were you talking about when you wrote, "...no, this isn't going to be another whiney 'this place has changed' and 'I don't like all the commotion' post."?

First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Hey Nick, on the one hand that's too bad about losing the job. I know from experience how you feel. But on the other hand congratulations on the new job and the opportunities it's going to bring.
Not only that, you'll be closer to the Elite Wisconsin SVX Chapter , and closer to Indy (F1)
And don't forget the Cookout on August 9th (shameless plug)

Good Luck.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 07-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Nick

Sorry to hear about the six digit retirement plan, but real pleased you bounced back, shiny side up.

I hope for the sake of your artistic integrity that Alter Echo becomes a runaway success, and other studios are going to headhunt you and your team.

Glad you are still gonna be around.

Todd seems to think Michigan is flat too. Maybe it is....

Best of luck with the move,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Black and Tan??

Hey Colin,

What's with this calling yourself a Black and Tan?? You know we used to shoot them on sight around here one time....

Unless it's something you can drink

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-29-2003, 02:47 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Nick

Sorry to hear about the six digit retirement plan, but real pleased you bounced back, shiny side up.

I hope for the sake of your artistic integrity that Alter Echo becomes a runaway success, and other studios are going to headhunt you and your team.

Glad you are still gonna be around.

Todd seems to think Michigan is flat too. Maybe it is....

Best of luck with the move,

Joe
Thanks, Joe. Coincidentally, I only recently heard that our UK XBox submission had passed. I don't know what our release date for the UK is, but it should be there soon!

Michigan is pretty flat - but then Amber and I moved here from Vermont, which is about as far from flat as you can get. Central Illinois literally has no features to the terrain, which would be unfathomable to me had I not seen it with my own eyes.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-29-2003, 02:58 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
come out here & work for microsoft xbox; I work in a business park in Redmond WA & they're in the next building over (two buildings, actually).
I actually applied to several places in the Seattle area because I've heard such great things about it - also because there are so many developers in the area that you can change jobs several times and not have to move.

The problem with my industry is that we're all so friggin' specialized. So, while there are jobs for level artists, everybody is looking for exatly the right person with the right kind of experience and the right personality to fit the team.

So, I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't find a job in the Seattle area, but not entirely surprised.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Re: Black and Tan??

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Hey Colin,

What's with this calling yourself a Black and Tan?? You know we used to shoot them on sight around here one time....

Unless it's something you can drink

Joe
Is that better You can still drink it and it still has Guinness in it, and at least I can visit without getting shot at
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 07-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Thumbs up

AWESOME!

NO SERIOUSLY! You'll be moving near Madison, WI! I mean, it sucks that you lost your old job, but it sounds like you'll get along just fine at your new one! New jobs are kinda refreshing anyway! Perhaps you'll.... hone yourself.

Anyway, we'll have to have a meet man! You could come up to madison for a weekend, kick back some beers, and maybe (if you wanted) you could stop by the animation studio at school and show us some mad skills in level design!

I know you're stressed/nervous but ... from my perspective, this is GREAT news!

Good luck moving!

- Rob