Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Unhappy Good news and Bad news. Uh oh.

Well, the good news is that I got my rear wheel bearing fixed and my car is quiet again......

The bad news is that I had them check my leaky exhaust, and they couldnt find a leak. The guy said it sounded more like a 'wrist pin'.... this noise becomes audible at 2750rpms and above, and starts out kinda inconsistently.... but it REALLY sounds like a leaky exhaust. I'm hoping he's wrong on his diagnosis.... anyway to check?

- Rob
Old 07-11-2003, 04:55 PM
tuzem

Chicane... just curious: how much did you pay get your bearings replaced? Thanks!

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

$440.00

A little steep, but its a little mom and pop place, so their prices aren't going to be cheap like the chains. Plus chain stores suck, they usually have a bunch of complete morons working for them.

- Rob
Old 07-11-2003, 05:38 PM
tuzem

Talking

heheh That's true! Chain stores suck a** I always like to do things myself (when I can) but the SVX is not very home mechanic friendly
Old 07-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by tuzem
heheh That's true! Chain stores suck a** I always like to do things myself (when I can) but the SVX is not very home mechanic friendly
No... it really isn't. I think I might attempt my front main seal though.. it should be nightmarish, but doable.

- Rob
Old 07-11-2003, 05:52 PM
tuzem

Rob,

Everything is poissible ) I convinced myself when I had to change the connecting rod bearings on my old college car -- an '88 Mazda 626. Guess what -> the mechanic quoted me $2500 for a NEW ENGINE! I spent 2 days under the car and $80 in Auto Zone and put another 40K miles on the poor Mazda with NO PROBLEMS Good luck with that seal anyway. Yeap... SVX sux to work on -> took me 2h to replace 1 spark-plug )) I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep mine around unless I put a 5 speed in it. What do you think about the manuals? Am I fooling myself thinking I can do the swap for under $1500 in my garage working on it 4 weekends?

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

I think you could do it if you had all the parts. From what I've read it's kinda straight forward. And manuals are SOOOOOO MUCH FASTER!

- Rob
Old 07-11-2003, 06:21 PM
tuzem

Thumbs up

Not only should they be faster but they should also be SOOOO MUCH MORE FUN TO DRIVE This SVX is my first automatic and I have to say I HATE it Not the SVX but the fact it's automatic. You know... I test drove a brand new '03 WRX one time and I loved it. It was a 5-speed. Do you know how the SVX compares to the WRX when running on stick? Have you actually ridden in a 5-speed SVX? I can't wait for the NW Seafood meet so I can maybe hitch a ride in a 5-speed and see how it rides

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Yeah, Phil, a guy here in madison has a dark green SVX with a 5spd in it. ITS SO MUCH FASTER, and looks like its a lot more fun to drive. The only thing I wouldn't do is that he got STI mounts for his tranny and what not.... it has a lot more NVH than my car, and I kinda like how 'quiet' and 'gentle' my car 'can' be....

- Rob
Old 07-11-2003, 07:22 PM
tuzem

I'd say that about the quiet ride too... you gotta love it! My wheelbearing destroys the experience a bit but in city driving it seems arlight. Hmm.. maybe I should get a 5spd then. It depends. Maybe I keep this car for a while and put the "fun" tranny it That should put some hair on my SVX's Chest How did Phil install his 5speed? Did he drop it off by a shop or did he do it himself? Thanks!

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Registered Abuser

That's funny. I have the STi tranny mount and I barely notice any difference.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 07-11-2003, 07:34 PM
tuzem

I couldn't comment here I don't know what this mount even does! I know that Small Car Performance recommends it with their 5-speed conversion but they mention the noise and vibration thing... But how and why would a transmission mount affect the ride quality?? I'm not a mechanic...

hey Alex,

PLEASE SHARE YOUR 5-SPEED EPXERIENCE How do YOU compare it to the EAT4? I'm I going to smile after installing my 5-speed one of those days or am I spoiled having driven a WRX ? Did you do it yourself or did a shop do it for you? If not a secret, how much did it cost you total? THANKS!

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 07:45 PM
tuzem

MAn... elninoalex,

your car DOES LOOK VERY AWESOME I just remembered reading some threads about you selling it. So, are you coming to the NW meet? If yes, can i ride in your car I'd like to see if the 5 speed makes such a huge difference...

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

It does. I kinda wnat to do a 6spd transmission swap like AlexUmn did. SIX SPEEDS RULES!

Anyway, the transmission mount doesnt affect RIDE quality, but the interior vibrates more and whatnot.

Phil dropped his off at his mechanic friends place.

- Rob
Old 07-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Superbeast

I did my 5 speed swap and then installed an STI mount a week later. You can feel a little engine vibration that you can't feel with the stock mount but it goes a lot better. The stock mount has to much of a elastic effect when taking off or shifting hard. The STI mount is very livable but I also made some rear end front carrier locks out of spare Ford radius arm bushing, and altho they got rid of some of the rear end slamming, they also make a noticable rear-end vibration at exactly 50mph. I try to avoid 50mph.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!