Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 03:19 AM
The Molinator

Question Check Engine light>> FINALLY!

Finally I got a little CHECK ENGINE light (for about 30 to 60 sec) the other day when my car was acting up after startup after a long stop, Some of you know my problem which has changed through the months since I started to get an intermittent rough idle at startup after several hours stopped (in AM or after work ONLY!) No one has been able to diagnose (since intermittent and no codes), even dealer (who said it was the tranny in NOV 2002 - NOT!). This could be my big breakthrough!!?

Can I get a code from the ECU memory myself? Or do I have to take it to the dealer or another shop? I have the shop manual (It looks like it should give me a blinking CHECK ENGINE light code), but I can't figure out how to hook up for blinking light code, and what is D-Check, Read Memory Mode (for me or dealer to do)?

THANKS for your HELP!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-12-2003, 11:59 AM
kvnobrien

Checking codes

Link to getting error codes

The link above has helped me find the codes. It's very easy to do. See pic at bottom of the blue wires and black connector. What a great site !
Old 05-14-2003, 01:09 AM
The Molinator

Question DECODE THIS!

THANKS! I got my memory codes: 21, 37, 16, and 19. The first (most recent trouble code?) 21 is coolant temp sensor, which is one of the first things I replaced (months ago) when my rough idle problems started. I did take the connector to this sensor off about 4 to 6 weeks ago when the car was rough idling to see if any difference occurred in degree of rough idle (no). 37 is one of the two O2 sensors which I replaced about 3 to 4 months ago. 16 and 19 are injectors, the connectors for which I removed several times (other injector connectors also!) to see if any change in performance while idling rough, to possibly locate cause (or location) of rough idle. For weeks (2 to 3 months ago), when I experienced the rough idle, I would try to locate the cylinder involved by removing injector connectors one at a time to see any no-changes in performance (would indicate location of "dead" cylinder). At that time, it was always the driver's side rear cylinder that made no change when the injector connector was removed (when the rough idling was happening). Recently, when I checked the connectors during a rough idle spell, the middle cylinder (injector connector) on the passenger side showed no change, indicating THIS (different) cylinder was "dead"! I guess the first code that gets blinked out of the ECU trouble code memory is the oldest - that would make since based on the above history and timeline. (?)

I cleared the memory, so I can try to get a new code to verify any of these codes.

Any HELP would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS!!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 05-14-2003 at 01:12 AM.